Re: [alanmoore] Darren Aronofsky talks Watchmen movie

  • prestorjon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
      In a message dated 9/29/01 2:21:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      jjnevins@... writes:

      << I'm sort of bemused by Hollywood's reaction to the WTC destruction.
      Hollywood didn't stop making war movies during WW2 or afterwards.
      Is what happened at the WTC really that much worse? >>

      No and the people who thinko thatn they're NEVER goign to make films about
      people blowing up buildings again lack some persepctive. They're going to
      do them again but they've postponed some films that deal with elements of
      terrorism so that they don't seem insensitive.
    • prestorjon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
        In a message dated 9/29/01 3:38:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        shumway@... writes:

        << No, but it's in the administration's best interests to keep everyone
        as sad/scared/angry as possible. And of couse the news media thrives on
        perpetuating the hysteria. >>

        In fact just the opposite. The networks LOST a lot of money by having those
        three or four days of wall to wall news coverage without commercial breaks.
      • Dave Clark
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
          > No and the people who thinko thatn they're
          NEVER goign to make films about
          > people blowing up buildings again lack some
          persepctive. They're going to
          > do them again but they've postponed some
          films that deal with elements of
          > terrorism so that they don't seem
          insensitive.

          I think this goes beyond what you say there. I
          could understand pulling a couple of TV dramas
          or films for a week - in the US. But all
          manner of stuff is being, curiously, put back
          or dropped because of this. It's silly
          censorship - in England (sorry, I don't know
          where you are) last week, I believe an episode
          of Captain Scarlet was dropped because it had
          the Mysterons trying to blow Big Ben up...
          Besides, I find all this (outside the US, I
          hasten to add here) quite offensive in a way.
          Things like The Stars and Stripes being played
          at the changing of the guard, reportedly on
          the Queen's orders, cutting Captain Scarlet,
          the weeping and gnashing of teeth, the
          continual broadcast services... Because every
          so often there's a famine or an earthquake and
          thousands die, and there's little or no
          response. This time it's nice mostly white
          anglo saxon people who speak English as a
          first language though...

          The question is why the silly censorship, why
          the reaction outside the US? Some of it's
          genuine shock and horror, some of it's people
          looking for something real - soap addicts who
          want something to be emotional about. (Not
          that I can be too judgemental about soaps
          here, I watch most episodes of EastEnders and
          have since it started.) And there is a genuine
          link with the US, of course - I don't care for
          US governments, but there's little doubt
          they'd be straight over here if it was London,
          possibly beating anyone in Europe to it. I
          suspect a lot of it is about fear, and that's
          what bothers me. (Conversely, I'm really
          offended because it didn't get as much
          coverage here as one spoilt 'princess' the
          other year.)

          I'd be interested in Alan Moore's take on all
          this stuff. It's an area he's not really
          touched on in great detail (I think).

          Right, off to watch Seinfeld.
        • prestorjon@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
            In a message dated 10/1/01 7:05:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            daveclark_@... writes:

            << This time it's nice mostly white
            anglo saxon people who speak English as a
            first language though...

            Yep there is that, also its becuase this was a human caused incident.
            Earthquakes and famines are terrible (and yes even worse than this) but they
            aren't malevolent.
          • Kevin Mathews
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
              >". . . Off in the distance sirens circled us like carrion birds, their
              >modulated shrieks ringing across the wastelands through the rain.
              >
              >I thought about the firemen and the dumbstruck ambulance crews. The world in
              >which they tried to sleep that night would be a different world to that in
              >which they had begun their day.
              >
              >Different FOREVER: All the cats were now out of the bag, the worms at last
              >freed from their tin.
              >
              >I knew in all the world that there existed no can large enough for us to
              >ever cram them all back in."

              That's from *Chronos* isn't it?

              After the events of 11 Sep, I read it again - still so powerful...
            • Dave Clark
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                > >I'd be interested in Alan Moore's take on
                all
                > >this stuff. It's an area he's not really
                > >touched on in great detail (I think).
                >

                > ". . . Off in the distance sirens circled us
                like carrion birds, their
                > modulated shrieks ringing across the
                wastelands through the rain.

                > I thought about the firemen and the
                dumbstruck ambulance crews. The world in
                > which they tried to sleep that night would
                be a different world to that in
                > which they had begun their day.
                >
                > Different FOREVER: All the cats were now out
                of the bag, the worms at last
                > freed from their tin.
                >
                > I knew in all the world that there existed
                no can large enough for us to
                > ever cram them all back in."
                >
                > Alan Moore - Miracleman
                >
                > :)

                Nope, no 'Islamic' (I'll put the inverted
                commas in for the sake of tact) terrorism in
                Miracleman. So ner. :-)
              • Dave Clark
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                  > anglo saxon people who speak English as a
                  > first language though...
                  > >>

                  > Yep there is that, also its becuase this was
                  a human caused incident.
                  > Earthquakes and famines are terrible (and
                  yes even worse than this) but they
                  > aren't malevolent.

                  I think that's a key point, though it's worth
                  comparing with coverage of the Balkans, Rwanda
                  and so on. Depressing stuff.
                • Michael Thomsen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                      In a message dated 10/2/01 8:38:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      daveclark_@... writes:

                      << I think that's a key point, though it's worth
                      comparing with coverage of the Balkans, Rwanda
                      and so on. Depressing stuff. >>

                      Yeah well Rwanda I think never got thte coverage it deserved because it was
                      black people dying. As for the Balkans... who know maybe the politics there
                      were too confusing.
                    • Michael Thomsen
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                        >Nope, no 'Islamic' (I'll put the inverted
                        >commas in for the sake of tact) terrorism in
                        >Miracleman. So ner. :-)

                        ???? This isn't REALLY about islam, is it?

                        Bates in 'Miracleman' was an evil millionaire genius created and educated by
                        the british government. In the end he created a horrible inhuman apocalypse
                        in London.

                        Bin Laden is an evil millionaire genius 'created' and educated (partly) by
                        the US government. In the end he created a horrible inhuman apocalypse in
                        NYC.

                        Michael

                      • Dave Clark
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                          > >Nope, no 'Islamic' (I'll put the inverted
                          > >commas in for the sake of tact) terrorism
                          in
                          > >Miracleman. So ner. :-)
                          > >

                          > ???? This isn't REALLY about islam, is it?
                          >
                          > Bates in 'Miracleman' was an evil
                          millionaire genius created and educated by
                          > the british government. In the end he
                          created a horrible inhuman apocalypse
                          > in London.
                          >
                          > Bin Laden is an evil millionaire genius
                          'created' and educated (partly) by
                          > the US government. In the end he created a
                          horrible inhuman apocalypse in
                          > NYC.
                          >
                          > Michael

                          Totally different as far as what I was talking
                          about goes. I'd be interested in Moore writing
                          about what actually happened, or something
                          very similar.