[alanmoore] Re: Re:Moore's Lost Stories..Mr. Monster

  • Michael Norwitz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 1999
      On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, [iso-8859-1] Éric[iso-8859-1] Thériault wrote:

      > If you are referring to the original comic that Mr. Monster is based on, it
      > is real. It's one feature in "Super Duper Comics"(1947) and it is part of
      > canadian comic history. It might be public domain now, but Gilbert use of
      > this caracter is very unethical( One new use of the caracter in a Canadian
      > history book in 86 was copyrighted to "Nelvana").I'm pretty sure that an
      > american writer cannot copyright as his creation a canadian artwork. Even
      > one that is part of the public domain.

      Can you say which company published "Super Duper Comics" and whether they
      had any other characters? I'd love to add the info to my International
      Heroes List.

      Also, American or Canadian makes no difference, as the countries cooperate
      in regards to copyright law, and there is nothing unethical about using
      work in the public domain. That's what public domain is *means*.

      In fact, Gilbert addressed the question in the first Mr. Monster comic.
      He found that he could copyright *his version* of the character. In other
      words, nobody else can tell a Mr. Monster story with the same female
      sidekick, or with the minor costume modifications Gilbert made. But
      anyone else can reprint a Golden Age Mr. Monster story, or publish a new
      story with the character (I don't know whether they could *title* the
      comic "Mr. Monster" but it's possible ... someone with more legal
      knowledge than I could say).

      "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
      (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
      blaklion@...
      __________________________________________________http://www.best.com/~blaklion

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/alanmoore
    • Éric Thériault
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 1999
        >Can you say which company published "Super Duper Comics" and whether they
        >had any other characters? I'd love to add the info to my International
        >Heroes List.

        Since it's off-topic, let me check my own reference and i'll get back to
        you on that.

        >Also, American or Canadian makes no difference, as the countries cooperate
        >in regards to copyright law, and there is nothing unethical about using
        >work in the public domain. That's what public domain is *means*.
        >
        >In fact, Gilbert addressed the question in the first Mr. Monster comic.
        >He found that he could copyright *his version* of the character. In other
        >words, nobody else can tell a Mr. Monster story with the same female
        >sidekick, or with the minor costume modifications Gilbert made. But
        >anyone else can reprint a Golden Age Mr. Monster story, or publish a new
        >story with the character (I don't know whether they could *title* the
        >comic "Mr. Monster" but it's possible ... someone with more legal
        >knowledge than I could say).

        I think the original name is "Doc Stearne, Mr. Monster". I'm happy Gilbert
        addressed this problem.
        As an artist with a retro style, i was planning to do something with old
        public domain canadian heroes, and i had my eye on mr. Monster...
        But Gilbert is probably safe with being the only writer to use this
        character. The golden age comic is so rare that nobody is able to use it as
        a reference for new work. They only have Gilbert's version as reference.

        Eric Theriault

        (Éric Thériault Press)
        --------------
        "The Veena Archives" has its own web site at:
        "Les Archives Veena" a maintenant son propre site web a

        http://www.cam.org/~veena

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/alanmoore
      • Garfarnuc2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999
          In a message dated 12/30/98 8:43:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, veena@...
          writes:

          << If you are referring to the original comic that Mr. Monster is based on, it
          is real. It's one feature in "Super Duper Comics"(1947) and it is part of
          canadian comic history. It might be public domain now, but Gilbert use of
          this caracter is very unethical( One new use of the caracter in a Canadian
          history book in 86 was copyrighted to "Nelvana").I'm pretty sure that an
          american writer cannot copyright as his creation a canadian artwork. Even
          one that is part of the public domain. >>

          I could be wrong on this, but aren't copyright laws international? If that's
          the case the "public domain" laws would also be international.
          Gilbert has said a lot of screwy things about MM. Like telling all his readers
          in a letters page, that anyone had the right to do MM stories, and encouraged
          people to do so. Gilbert claimed he had no claim to MM, yet he does hold a
          copyright.

          Chris Reilly

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999
            At 23:12 99-01-05 EST, you wrote:
            >In a message dated 12/30/98 8:43:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, veena@...
            >writes:
            >
            ><< If you are referring to the original comic that Mr. Monster is based
            on, it
            > is real. It's one feature in "Super Duper Comics"(1947) and it is part of
            > canadian comic history. It might be public domain now, but Gilbert use of
            > this caracter is very unethical( One new use of the caracter in a Canadian
            > history book in 86 was copyrighted to "Nelvana").I'm pretty sure that an
            > american writer cannot copyright as his creation a canadian artwork. Even
            > one that is part of the public domain. >>
            >
            >I could be wrong on this, but aren't copyright laws international? If that's
            >the case the "public domain" laws would also be international.

            I agree.

            >Gilbert has said a lot of screwy things about MM. Like telling all his
            readers
            >in a letters page, that anyone had the right to do MM stories, and encouraged
            >people to do so. Gilbert claimed he had no claim to MM, yet he does hold a
            >copyright.
            >
            >Chris Reilly

            Since we first talked about it, i've reread Mr. Monster #4 . It mentionned
            that the artwork and right for various characters created by Bell Feature
            like Mr.Monster and Nelvana where bought by a couple of guys who later
            founded the animation studio Nelvana.
            When Mr. Monster appeared on the cover of "Canuck Comic"(1986), it was
            copyrighted to "Nelvana". I suppose it means the animation company own the
            character...But to my knowledge they never complained that Gilbert used MM.

            A similar problem exist where both Americomic and DC Comic claim they own
            Phantom Lady. DC being a bigger bully, Americomic changed the name of the
            character to Nightveil (or something...). Apparently Phantom Lady's creator
            brought his creation with him at several company of the time who now belong
            to competing companies.

            Eric Theriault

            (Éric Thériault Press)
            --------------
            "The Veena Archives" has its own web site at:
            "Les Archives Veena" a maintenant son propre site web a

            http://www.cam.org/~veena

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/alanmoore
          • Bryan A. Hollerbach
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
              (snip)

              Gilbert has said a lot of screwy things about MM. Like telling all his readers
              in a letters page, that anyone had the right to do MM stories, and encouraged
              people to do so. Gilbert claimed he had no claim to MM, yet he does hold a
              copyright.

              Chris Reilly

              (snip)

              Involved here might be the distinction between copyright and trademark. By analogy, you and I could both write and publish separate stories about Count Dracula, and though we could also both copyright our individual works, neither of us could lay claim to a trademark on the character starring in those works.

              Do any lawyers belong to the mailing list?

              Bry

              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/alanmoore