Re: [alanmoore] Notes to Top Ten #12 (rough draft)

  • Richard Franklin
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2001
      --- jjnevins@... wrote:

      Page 30.

      Panel 1. Not getting these references apart from
      Reuben Flagg, from
      Howard Chaykin's AMERICAN FLAGG.

      i believe (though i may be wrong) that the guy with
      the red hair in Panel 6 is a DragonBall character. he
      sure looks like one, anyway.

      richard

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Jean Rogers
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 2, 2001
        No fair, everyone talking about Top 10 #12, and I'm still waiting for my
        copy...

        However: Stephen refers to "the protagonist from 'In the Night Kitchen'"
        (another fine and deeply allusive work!): his name's Mickey...

        Jean
      • SRoweCanoe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2001
          In a message dated 9/2/2001 5:14:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jean@... writes:

          No fair, everyone talking about Top 10 #12, and I'm still waiting for my
          copy...

          well not everybody!  (Like you I am still waiting for my copy.  I should get
          my copy in about a week or so)

          steven rowe
        • Richard East
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 3, 2001
            From Jess Nevins excellent notes:
            Page 29:
            Panel 3. On the right is Eddie Murphy as Dr. Doolittle. I'm blanking on the other two figures with him.

            One of them is Rex Harrison.

            Richard
          • DTonks@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 3, 2001
              Here are a few more I haven't seen:

              Page 13

              Panel 1. The Seven Sentinels logo is very similar to Chris Claremont's
              "Sovereign Seven"

              Panel 4. Is Taps named for Liza Minelli rather than Vicki Carr?

              Page 23

              Panel 2. The poster above Atoman's parents is a typical Shuster Superman pose
              (Superman 4, Superman 10, Action 45, etc.)

              Page 32

              Panel 5. Peter Pan is flying alongside Tinkerbell. Below and to the right are
              Wendy and the other Darling kids rather than characters from "Bedknobs and
              Broomsticks."

              Doug Tonks
            • gsstro@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 3, 2001
                On the page with Reuben Flagg from American Flagg there is also a character
                (kneeling) who I think is meant to be CK Blitz from that same series.
                He is flanked by "Bert and Ernie", CK's robotic body guards in the series.
                Only CK was a black man - I think he's been colored incorrectly here.
              • Dave Joll
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 7, 2001

                  A few comments... I haven't read everyone else's responses
                  yet though so most of these will probably be old news.

                  "Notes to Top Ten #12.
                  by Jess Nevins
                  Page 2.
                  Panel 1. Is it just me, or is the projector the head of a Dalek, one
                  of Dr. Who's robotic enemies? (You know, the "Exterminate!" `bots.)"

                  It's not just you... Actually it looks a lot like a couple of actual
                  slide projectors I have seen. Seems the BBC have missed an idea
                  for another chance to milk the DW franchise...

                  "Page 4.
                  Panel 1. Honesty compels me to admit that I wouldn't have gotten all
                  of the rooftop scene, so I'll give credit to James A. Wolf, who said
                  the following: "It's a rooftop concert- like 'Let it Be' with the
                  Beatles. There's Ringo (From "Yellow Submarine' on the drums.
                  Accompanying him are the Beetle (Marvel) Blue Beetle (DC) and a GI who
                  can only be Beetle Bailey!""

                  The group appears to be called the "Blues Beetles".

                  "Panel 2. The only graffiti I can make out is "Sigue Sigue Robotn-"
                  which is a reference to, among other things, the late 1980s/early
                  1990s techno-lite band Sigue Sigue Sputnjk, who in turn got their name
                  from Anthony Burgess' A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
                  Page 5.
                  Panel 1. I don't get the graffiti here, sorry. Anyone?"

                  Seems to be the same graffiti viewed from different angles.
                  Is "Yello Bastard" a reference to a Frank Miller / Sin City
                  comic? (I recognize the title although I haven't read it).
                  "One Flesh" also sounds familiar - is it an anti-robot hate
                  group from within the comic (as opposed to an Easter egg?)

                  "Panel 5. The only graffiti I understand here is "Poppupian," a
                  reference to the shapechanging race of Marvel's Impossible Man. "

                  And in his signature colours (green and purple). I presume
                  F5 is a reference to the street gang from within the comic.

                  "Page 8.
                  Panel 1. The newspaper's name, "Nova Express," is a reference to the
                  William S. Burroughs' novel NOVA EXPRESS. The logo for the "Nova
                  Express," as Astro Citizen points out, is the same as the Marvel hero
                  Nova. "

                  I seem to recall Nova operated a business of that name at one
                  point - or am I getting him confused with someone else?

                  "Page 11.
                  Panels 1-4. The lyrics of "Like a Pistol" are a reference to the
                  stereotypical aspects of supervillains. "

                  And in the last panel "...this ain't no dream, this ain't no hoax,
                  this ain't imagin'ry" echoes the stereotype "Not a dream! Not
                  a hoax! Not an imaginary story" cover blurb.

                  "Page 15.
                  Note the synthetic person, similar to the dearly-departed Sung "Girl
                  One" Li, in the lower right. "

                  And for some reason she and the figure (a boy?) next to her remind
                  me of the Marvel characters Cloak and Dagger.

                  "Page 20.
                  Panel 2. "Slick Willy: no friction spam" is a play on Ronald Reagan's
                  deserved label, the "Teflon President." Just as Reagan's many misdeeds
                  never seemed to affect his popularity, at least while he was in
                  office, so to did Bill "Slick Willy" Clinton's misdeeds not affect his
                  popularity. The "no frction spam" also refers to the frictionless
                  field surrounding DC's Flash. "

                  Minor nitpick: word looks more like "spray" than "spam"

                  "Page 27.
                  Panel 6. "My Stereo" is a reference to Marvel's sfx villain
                  "Mysterio," whose helmet and chest buttons are similar to the "My
                  Stereo" sign logos. "

                  And the delivery truck in the background appears to be
                  related to Evel Knievel (as seen on the back of far too many
                  old 1970s comics).

                  "Page 28.
                  Panel 4. Not getting these references, sorry. Help! (Is that Marvel's
                  Gladiator on the far left?) Fonzie notes the Shoveler, from
                  MYSTERYMEN. "

                  The large purple "thing" looks like it just escaped from "Where
                  the Wild Things Are" (if I have recalled the title correctly) but
                  I see nothing resembling Marvel's Gladiator - a purple alien
                  with a mohawk - in this scene.

                  "Page 30.
                  Panel 1. Not getting these references apart from Reuben Flagg, from
                  Howard Chaykin's AMERICAN FLAGG. "

                  The character at lower left in Panel 4 is reminiscent of
                  an Atlantean from the Marvel comics - his name eludes
                  me again - Orka?

                  - Dave
                • Richard East
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 7, 2001
                    "Page 5.
                    "Panel 1. I don't get the graffiti here, sorry. Anyone?"
                    "Seems to be the same graffiti viewed from different angles. Is "Yello Bastard" a reference to a Frank Miller / Sin City comic?"
                    And also the Yello kid.

                    "Panel 5. The only graffiti I understand here is "Poppupian," a reference to the shapechanging race of Marvel's Impossible Man. "
                    Mean Machine is at the top. The cyborg from Judge Dredd.

                    "I presume F5 is a reference to the street gang from within the comic."
                    The F5 also looks like an XS - the Legion of Super-heroes speedster.

                    I don't have the list in front of me but when they meet Taps, there is one panel that looks like it's got the boat from Horus Lord
                    of Light in it.
                    And in the Hound's cave there is a toy elephant ride - I'm probably mistaken but wasn't there an identical elephant is Moore's
                    Killing Joke when the Joker is in the abandoned Amusement Park? (I can't think of any other reason for it being there.)

                    Richard
                  • Umm.. Dennis
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 7, 2001
                      RE:
                      "Page 5.
                      "Panel 1. I don't get the graffiti here, sorry. Anyone?"
                      "Seems to be the same graffiti viewed from different angles.
                      Is "Yello
                      Bastard" a reference to a Frank Miller / Sin City comic?"
                      And also the Yello kid.

                      Yello Bastard is a reference to the Frank Miller Comic, and the Yello
                      Kid is an olde character from the newspaper strips. I forget who
                      created him though. It's not Eisner. Somebody even older, I think.

                      dennis