Re: [alanmoore] Warpsmiths

  • rmorris306@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2000
      In a message dated Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:19:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Ian McLean <ianmcl@...> writes:

      <<
      > And, of course, there's John Byrne's

      I prefer to consider it Roger Stern's, but that's just because he's the one
      scripting and I can't stand Byrne. (Not that I've been buying it, but I've
      read some.)>>

      Good point. I hadn't been reading it either, and forgot Byrne was involved.

      >recent MARVEL'S LOST GENERATION (or
      >some such) series, in which each issue takes place before the one that
      >appeared before...though they're numbered in reverse order. (I haven't read
      >it; the concept is so unpleasant to my tastes that I wouldn't bother with it
      >under any circumstance.)

      I'm puzzled - what do you find so unpleasant about the concept? It's the
      vehemence of "under any circumstances" that makes me ask.>>

      What I hate is the whole concept of the "seven- (or ten- or twelve- or whatever) year rule" under which the entirety of Marvel continuity is squeezed into a few years. While I'll admit that a certain amount of fudging in inevitable (unless one realy does want to read about a 50-year-old Spider-Man, though I daresay I'd like it better than a lot of what's been done with the character since Lee and Ditko left him), the whole idea of setting it in stone, complete with "contemporary" references that would clearly set, for instance, the Fantastic Four's origin during the Bush administration, is a complete turnoff for me.

      It's even been infecting the DC Universe, where it makes even less sense, in recent years. One of many things I've always given Alan Moore credit for is that he's never, to my knowledge, used or condoned any such idiocies in his own comics work.

      Rich
    • Paul Eke
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 15, 2000
        "Ghostdance" from A1 #1 has been posted to
        alt.binaries.pictures.comics

        http://mail.yahoo.com/