[alanmoore] Y2K in Times Square

  • RMorris306@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2000
      So far, my computer seems to be working all right. I'm sending this out
      from New York City, where, last night, I was among the crowds in Times Square
      for the Millennium. (Some columnist said that, having surveyed Americans as
      to where they'd like to be for the beginning of 2000, it seemed about 40%
      wanted to end up in Times Square. From the condition and number of people,
      I'm ready to believe that 40% did...)

      I got there at 2 AM and had to wait for 10 hours to avoid losing my
      place...it wasn't comfortable (especially bathroom arrangements or lack
      thereof, which were bad enough for the men, and almost impossible for the
      women), but it was exciting. A lot of that (and the street restrictions) were
      chalked up to the current Mayor of New York, said by my friends here to be a
      control freak (and justly so; he was partly responsible for the lack of
      facilities by getting all the local restaurants and Broadway plays to close)
      who forced everyone departing to stick to specific streets and often (as in
      my case) go several long blocks in the wrong direction. But at least nobody
      was trampled. I may have shown up on TV (the cameras panned over my group a
      few times; we were right near the intersection of 47th St. and 7th Ave.) but
      so far nobody I've talked to has seen me...

      Rich
    • Patrick Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2000
        Can't possibly compare to the Millennium in Belfast.
        Entertainment provided by Bjorn Again, a bunch of Abba
        impersonators (who really got everybody going, and who
        for some reason did a Black Sabbath song in the middle
        of their set), supported by Glam Slam, a bunch of
        T-Rex impersonators (who claimed to be recording a
        live album to get the crowd going. Nobody seemed to
        like them, but I thought they were great - a selection
        of barely-competent T-Rex covers whips the arse of the
        most professional and accurate Abba covers any day.
        And I knew the words to the Bay City Rollers chant,
        which disturbed me). Followed by fireworks.

        The crowd was at least twice as big as when Bill
        Clinton came to Belfast (entertainment provided on
        that occasion by Van Morrison, so you can see what
        kind of taste in music Belfast people have) but much
        friendlier and better managed. We were't stranded for
        three quarters of an hour after the show finished
        because the police wouldn't open the side streets like
        we were then, and when the Lord Mayor gave a speech it
        was along the lines of "Belfast, are you having a good
        time?" rather than a lengthy and incoherent
        exhortation to follow Jesus. Plenty of people were
        drunk, but nobody I saw was aggressive. I had a truly
        marvellous time sober as a judge. It's at times like
        these you really believe Belfast is changing.

        I'd bought my PC cheap off work about a year ago
        because it wasn't Y2K compliant and they couldn't
        afford to fix it. Got up in the late afternoon to find
        it thought it was the 4th of January 1980, but I just
        changed it in the Control Panel, and that was the
        extent of the Millennium Bug in my house.

        So it's the future at last. Let's make it a good
        century.

        In a vain effort to pretend this is on topic, finally
        meeting Paul Saveen in Tom Strong was a nice little
        foretaste of the big event.

        Patrick

        =====
        Patrick Brown
        patrickbrown40@...

        The Ulster Cycle <http://ireland-now.com/ulstercycle>
        Patrick Brown - Cartoonist <http://www.geocities.com/patrickbrown40>
      • David Southwood
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2000
          Patrick Brown wrote:

          > like them, but I thought they were great - a selection
          > of barely-competent T-Rex covers whips the arse of the
          > most professional and accurate Abba covers any day.

          Oooo, dem's fightin' woids.

          David Southwood
        • Jess Nevins
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2000
            I hate a great New Year's Eve, for once.

            I went to bed early, with my girlfriend, and I slept late.
            9 glorious hours of uninterrupted sleep.

            That's my idea of a rewarding evening. <g>

            ObMoore: I know that Grant Morrison grew up reading
            comics and that Warren Ellis didn't. (I don't know about
            Garth Ennis, though I tend to doubt it)

            Did Moore, or did he have different reading as a child?

            jess
          • Peter Hudson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2000

              > > like them, but I thought they were great - a selection
              > > of barely-competent T-Rex covers whips the arse of the
              > > most professional and accurate Abba covers any day.

              Gee, I may be terribly misguided - but I'd almost rather cook my feet
              in a deep fat fryer and serve them at McDonald's than be subjected to
              either one.
            • Patrick Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2000
                --- Jess Nevins <jjnevins@...> wrote:

                > I hate a great New Year's Eve, for once.
                >
                > I went to bed early, with my girlfriend, and I slept
                > late.

                Rub it in why don't you. I'm considering joining the
                "Millennium doesn't start till next year" faction so I
                have a remote chance of not going into a new
                millennium single.

                > ObMoore: I know that Grant Morrison grew up reading
                > comics and that Warren Ellis didn't. (I don't know
                > about
                > Garth Ennis, though I tend to doubt it)

                Garth did grow up reading comics, just not American
                ones. He did a Comics Journal interview a while back
                where he said the reason he seems so original to
                American comics readers is they don't know where he's
                stealing from. I think his major formative influence
                was "Battle", a British war comic that Pat Mills and
                John Wagner did before 2000AD.

                Patrick

                =====
                Patrick Brown
                patrickbrown40@...

                The Ulster Cycle <http://ireland-now.com/ulstercycle>
                Patrick Brown - Cartoonist <http://www.geocities.com/patrickbrown40>
              • Michael Norwitz
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2000
                  On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Jess Nevins wrote:

                  > I went to bed early, with my girlfriend, and I slept late.
                  > 9 glorious hours of uninterrupted sleep.

                  We stayed awake through midnight, but went to bed soon after. That's not
                  much later than we usually do anyway on weekends.

                  > ObMoore: I know that Grant Morrison grew up reading
                  > comics and that Warren Ellis didn't. (I don't know about
                  > Garth Ennis, though I tend to doubt it)
                  >
                  > Did Moore, or did he have different reading as a child?

                  Moore was a major Marvel and DC geek as a kid.

                  "She always had a terrific sense of humor" Mikel Midnight
                  (Valerie Solonas, as described by her mother)
                  blaklion@...
                  __________________________________________________http://www.best.com/~blaklion
                • Jess Nevins
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2000
                    Michael Norwitz wrote:

                    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Jess Nevins wrote:
                    >
                    > > I went to bed early, with my girlfriend, and I slept late.
                    > > 9 glorious hours of uninterrupted sleep.
                    >
                    > We stayed awake through midnight, but went to bed soon after. That's not
                    > much later than we usually do anyway on weekends.

                    We're usually in bed around ten (we have to be up at 5:30). We went to
                    bed at 9. The parking lot of our complex was surprisingly quiet, considering
                    the white trash who usually pass through.

                    > > ObMoore: I know that Grant Morrison grew up reading
                    > > comics and that Warren Ellis didn't. (I don't know about
                    > > Garth Ennis, though I tend to doubt it)
                    > >
                    > > Did Moore, or did he have different reading as a child?
                    >
                    > Moore was a major Marvel and DC geek as a kid.

                    Interesting. Boy, Marvel and DC have really pissed him off for him
                    not to want to have anything to do with their characters ever again.
                    That, or his reaction to entering superhero comics was just different
                    from older grown fanboys.

                    jess
                  • Jess Nevins
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 2, 2000
                      Patrick Brown wrote:

                      > > ObMoore: I know that Grant Morrison grew up reading
                      > > comics and that Warren Ellis didn't. (I don't know
                      > > about
                      > > Garth Ennis, though I tend to doubt it)
                      >
                      > Garth did grow up reading comics, just not American
                      > ones. He did a Comics Journal interview a while back
                      > where he said the reason he seems so original to
                      > American comics readers is they don't know where he's
                      > stealing from. I think his major formative influence
                      > was "Battle", a British war comic that Pat Mills and
                      > John Wagner did before 2000AD.

                      Hmmm. Given his comments about his Punisher work,
                      I'd have thought he was a bit hostile to superheroes.

                      jess
                    • Gerry Alanguilan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2000
                        >Moore was a major Marvel and DC geek as a kid.

                        Yeah, he has said in an interview that as a kid, he really enjoyed the
                        Lee-Kirby Fantastic Fours.

                        Gerry
                      • Ian McLean
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
                          >> > ObMoore: I know that Grant Morrison grew up reading
                          >> > comics and that Warren Ellis didn't. (I don't know
                          >> > about
                          >> > Garth Ennis, though I tend to doubt it)

                          Actually, Warren read British comics just like Garth.

                          >> Garth did grow up reading comics, just not American
                          >> ones. He did a Comics Journal interview a while back
                          >> where he said the reason he seems so original to
                          >> American comics readers is they don't know where he's
                          >> stealing from. I think his major formative influence
                          >> was "Battle", a British war comic that Pat Mills and
                          >> John Wagner did before 2000AD.

                          And "Action", a similar comic (they eventually merged).

                          >Hmmm. Given his comments about his Punisher work,
                          >I'd have thought he was a bit hostile to superheroes.

                          Superheroes have very little to do with British comics as a whole, which
                          may be one reason why.

                          Andrew