[alanmoore] Awright then... Free interview !

  • Stephane Mahaut
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
      Hello all,

      Since I have being a parasite on this list since the onset and I admit that
      my contribution has been weak, (due mostly to the fact that I live in the
      woods of Québec), even somewhat provocational judging by a couple of the
      Camper's efforts and his creation of this list by offering some voluntary
      work of my own....

      As I stated before, I do not feel that we should have to pay for
      information; (although creation, yes). I just got off the phone with Alan
      and he has agreed to answer questions put forward by the subscribers of
      this list.... This will be a taylor made Alan Moore elist interview
      concerning any aspect of his WORK currently in progress, past and future.
      There will have to be a limit of around 12 questions or so that I will
      compile from the responses I get. Maybe if this is successful and I can
      spare the computer time, this can even be something that can be repeated in
      the future, who knows... ?

      Now, one thing that I will not do, and Stephen did warn me about this, is
      act as any sort of a "go between" to arrange contact between Alan and
      individuals. As was discussed before, Alan cherishes his privacy and he is
      already aware of the intrusions that have been made into his and his
      family's private affairs on the internet, (not necessarily on this site),
      which has made him even more than ever wary of the web and his
      determination to stay away from the web seems definite.

      Now, as you know, Alan is particularly busy right now with several ongoing
      comic projects (5, I believe). He figures we could do the interview in
      about 3 weeks or so, ample time to gather some questions.

      One thing I did ask him already was the mystery CDROM that was once in the
      works with Dave Gibbons, but unfortunately that seems to have taken a back
      burner given the tremendous task involved, and all the other work in
      progress. Disco Cabala (?) and Highbury Working, regular CDs, should be
      out "later this year".

      Here you go, actions speak louder than words....

      Stéphane Mahaut

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
        On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Stephane Mahaut wrote:

        > Now, as you know, Alan is particularly busy right now with several ongoing
        > comic projects (5, I believe). He figures we could do the interview in
        > about 3 weeks or so, ample time to gather some questions.

        Sounds wonderful, many thanks. Should potential questions be mailed to
        you or the list?
        Incidentally, I'll have to unsubscribe within the next couple of weeks so
        I'll miss the whole thing. It would be great if someone in the UK could
        post me the answers whenever they arrive.

        David Dean.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
      • John Dorrian
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
          >From: "Stephane Mahaut"

          <snip, snip>

          Hi, Stephane...Don't feel bad about your lack of contributions to the list.
          I've posted hardly anything myself for several months now. (Though I want to
          change that...) Well, whatever. As for your living in the "wilds" of Quebec,
          I'm a Toronto boy, myself. We're practically neighbours!

          Anyway, I'm assumimg you want us to post our questions here, so everyone can
          get a look at them...Essentially, I'm really only interested in knowing the
          status of Moore's various upcoming works & works in progress. See if you can
          get any information about the following:

          Moore's next novel, which is apparently titled "A Grammar." When does he
          expect to have this finished?

          The untitled 6th book from the ABC line. When will we see this, what's it
          about, etc. Inquiring minds wanna know!

          What's the status of Lost Girls? Has he considered taking it to
          Fantagraphics? (The only remaining publisher that I can see carrying this
          book. And Gary Groth once said he would have "loved" to publish it.)

          Anything further from Awesome besides the already-written stuff that we'll
          hopefully get a chance to see at some point. What's all this about a Supreme
          graphic novel that Moore & Alex Ross are supposedly collaborating on? Is
          this for real, or is it just so much hot air from Rob Liefield?

          One of the most intriguing projects Moore publicly announced a while back
          was a 7 or 9 issue miniseries about the history of magic, as actually
          practiced in the real world. This was going to feature a different artist on
          every issue. Is Moore still planning this? It hasn't been mentioned in a
          while. In the same vien, Moore & Eddie Campbell are reportedly going to do a
          biography of some famous occultist whose name I've forgotten...This
          information is at Moore's "booth" at Rick Vietch's comicon website. When is
          this planned for?

          Another project that I'd like to hear about is an anthology book that Moore
          and Neil Gaiman were talking about doing: Something similar to Raw, that
          would include work from many of their friends in the industry. I strongly
          suspect this book came from idle conversation between the two, and it's
          something we shall never actually see. Still, it WAS publicly acknowledged
          by Alan Moore, so I'd like to hear if it's still in the works. Dennis
          Kitchen was (reportedly) approached to publish it at one point. Needless to
          say, I don't think he's involved in this project anymore...

          That's about all of Moore's future projects I can recall hearing about.
          (Though if anyone else knows of any others, do feel free to add them to my
          little list.) I was thinking of starting a thread based on this subject
          anyway, and Stephane's message provided me with the perfect
          opportunity...But here's a question for YOU, Stephane: What's your
          connection with Moore? Are you a journalist planning an interview with him,
          or some such thing? I don't wish to pry, so if the answer is more of a
          personal nature, don't worry about it. Still, I'd like to know how you
          contacted him to begin with, and why he's agreed to talk with you...We all
          know how reclusive he is.

          Um, that's all...Ta!

          John Dorrian

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
            David wrote:

            >> Sounds wonderful, many thanks.  Should potential questions be mailed to
            you or the list?
            Incidentally, I'll have to unsubscribe within the next couple of weeks so
            I'll miss the whole thing.  It would be great if someone in the UK could
            post me the answers whenever they arrive.
            David, I should be able to do that no problem. Presumably you would want them emailed direct to your email address? BTW, thanks for arranging this Q&A Stephane!

            Wayne

            eGroups.com eGroups Spotlight:
            All Things US Air Force - US Air Force discussion about the people,
            veterans, places, events, history, and current events.
            http://www.egroups.com/list/all-things-usairforce

          • JoseVillar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
              In a message dated 6/1/99 2:13:08 PM, jonzilla@... writes:

              << Another project that I'd like to hear about is an anthology book that
              Moore
              and Neil Gaiman were talking about doing: Something similar to Raw, that
              would include work from many of their friends in the industry. >>

              Hi John:
              I love your questions. I think that Moore has spoken extensively about most
              of his published works, so personally I am much more interested in hearing
              about unfinished and upcoming projects. I was wondering if the anthology that
              you mention is one that I vaguely recall reading about where Moore explained
              that he wanted to create something reminiscent in style to turn of the
              century art, the Symbolists and Decadents, and publish the work of people
              like P. Craig Russell. Is it the same project?

              José

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
                >From: JoseVillar@...

                <snip>

                I believe you're thinking of the same proposed book, Jose. I'm pretty sure
                P. Craig Russell was one of the artists mentioned...

                John D.

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
              • ihaveseenthefish@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
                  Stephanie,

                  This is a great idea. I've seen a lot of this kind of thing around lately, some Grant Morrison free for alls on DC's message boards. Very generous of you. Thanks.

                  While I'd be interested to hear any factual info about upcoming projects &c, the one question I'd like to ask Alan is whether he is ever wary about the density of information and references he includes in his work. I'm thinking particularly of LOEG and Voices of the Fire here, but it's a general tone of his work. Does he ever worry that his work is too obscure; that it needs "translation" or further reading? Or is he of the mindset that if you explain everything to your audience then you aren't challenging them at all and hence the writing is less enjoyable?

                  I'm staggering around the question here, not quite sure how to phrase it. Maybe I'm leaning towards something like, how much of a challenge does he want his writing to be to his readers, and how much of a risk does he thinks he runs in doing so - does he ever worry about isolating himself by appearing too obscure?

                  I've always found that interviews are more interesting if you ask the subject a few challenging and subjective questions instead of just clamouring for a litany of facts.

                  One other question - since this is a free/collaborative interview, what would be the status of reprinting it in a zine I produce? I'm just tentatively mentioning this at this point - full credit would be given to the appropriate people and contributor copies sent out as well. Just an idea, rather than an attempt to capitalise on others' efforts.

                  adam ford

                  Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore/?start=2200

                • Emerpus01@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
                    Stephane, you're doing a great service here!

                    My suggested questions:

                    1) Does Moore plan any followup to Brought to Light or any more projects (in
                    comics or otherwise) with contemporary political subject matter?

                    2) How is Big Numbers doing as a TV program? Does Moore have any plans to
                    get involved in writing Film or TV?

                    3) What comics does Alan Moore read today?

                    Thanks again!

                    David Bernstein

                    eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
                  • Erol Sirimoglu
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 1999
                      Here's a bunch of stuff I would ask.
                      Use none/some - whatever.

                      The two debates/discussions on the list that I can remember
                      remaining somewhat unresolved and that the horse's mouth
                      might shed some light on were:

                      1) Describe whatever connection there was or wasn't going to be
                      between Marvelman and V.

                      2) At the end of From Hell, as Gull dies, he sees a mountain landscape
                      where an adult woman and a bunch of young girls live (I believe the woman
                      actually looks up at him, but I'd have to check.)
                      In the footnotes/appendices he says 'figure it out'.
                      The two interpretations were:
                      a) Mary Kelly 'got away'. She was not the woman killed in her room that night.
                      Gull finds this out as he dies.
                      b) Gull is encountering the ideaspace manifestations of his victims. The Mary
                      Kelly
                      entity is more prominent in ideaspace due to the nature of her murder (more
                      graphic,
                      more detailed, powerful masonic ritual, more closely associated
                      with the ideaspace myth that Gull is transforming into.)
                      We seemed to agree that both interpretations fit.
                      Were either of these the intention behind the scene? Both?
                      Is there something we're missing?

                      I support some of the questions mentioned before.
                      To give detail -
                      1) What is he currently working on. The things he's actively giving attention.
                      (Other than ABC obviously).
                      2) Whatever happened to....
                      Any possibilty at all of a From Hell collection? I know a handful of
                      people who
                      haven't read it who insist on waiting for the collected edition. (I've
                      heard finding
                      some of the issues can be tough now.) It's completed work, easy bucks? Has
                      he
                      spoken to mainstream (non-comic) publishers?
                      Big Numbers TV series?
                      Lost Girls?
                      All the other good ideas already mentioned -
                      (magic history, Dee Biography.I think it was, etc)

                      Other miscellaneous stuff I might ask him:
                      1) What is an average work day like? What hours do you work?
                      Break it up over the day or do it in one sitting? etc etc Just describe a work
                      day.
                      2) How does he feel about ABC so far? Satisfying? Have the sales been to
                      expectations?
                      Things ok after the "Wildstorm" advertising debacle? The 'Lettering First
                      Process' (tm)
                      working as expected?
                      3) Who are some of his 'magic' influences? His comic influences he's been asked
                      a number
                      of times, but not sure if I've seen this. Plus he just seems to like to discuss
                      this stuff more
                      than answering stuff like 'Who taught King Soloman how to speak (with that
                      accent...)?".
                      So, he's given his opinion on various magicians in interviews, but whose work
                      does he most
                      like reading. Maybe a kind of Recommended Magic Reading List.
                      4) What other kind of stuff is he into? Picking up any music skill from the CD
                      he's making?
                      Follow any sports? Videogames? Movies?
                      I guess it's 'What are your hobbies?' (I feel like an idiot.)
                      5) Name a work or two that he thinks was most improved by someone else's input?

                      (editor, artist, or whatever.) Maybe unexpectedly, or even just an artist or
                      editor
                      who was surprisingly pleasant to work with.
                      6) Does he think his work is more difficult to translate to film than most?
                      A number of works have been optioned, nothings ever been made AFAIK.

                      Holy Socks!
                      I went crazy!

                      Erol

                      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
                    • David Dean
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 1999
                        On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Wayne Clark wrote:

                        > David, I should be able to do that no problem. Presumably you would want
                        > them emailed direct to your email address?

                        Actually no, I'm losing all e-mail/internet access for a few months so I'd
                        reall need the answers mailed to me the old-fashioned way.
                        I realise its a big favour to ask and if its not possible that's fine :)

                        David Dean

                        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
                      • Ian McLean
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 1999
                          >Since I have being a parasite on this list since the onset and I admit that
                          >my contribution has been weak, (due mostly to the fact that I live in the
                          >woods of Québec), even somewhat provocational judging by a couple of the
                          >Camper's efforts and his creation of this list by offering some voluntary
                          >work of my own....

                          There's really no need to justify your presence, but I can't complain about
                          the way in which you've decided to do it.

                          Others have already covered Lost Girls and the history of magic, so I'd like
                          to know more about Alan's work on his musical projects. Specifically, I've
                          heard that for his more recent projects he has taken an active role in the
                          composition of the music, or at least more active than in the past. How does
                          he approach musical composition - eg musical notation, thinking of a
                          particular type of sound to convey a mood, embedding different muscial
                          fragments within mathemtically determined looping, mindless tinkering, all
                          or none of the above, etc?

                          Andrew

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 1999
                            Alan Questions:-

                            1. I'd like to second someone's suggestion of asking him for a recommended
                            occult reading list.

                            2. Once he'd decided to get into magic/the occult, how did he go about
                            it? What were his first steps?

                            David Dean.

                            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
                          • Matt K.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 3, 1999
                              An Alan Question-

                              Is there any chance of him returning to help AWESOME out with a third
                              year of SUPREME stories?

                              Thanks.

                              Matt K.

                              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore
                            • Kumar Sivasubramanian
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 14, 1999
                                My question for Moore is maybe a touchy one. That is: what`s his take on
                                abortion? I`m not asking is he anything as simple as pro or con but how does
                                it function in his work, specifically BIG NUMBERS and A SMALL KILLING. And
                                by the same token, as goofy as they were, why weren`t any of those wacky mad
                                abortionist Ripper theories even footnoted in Dance of the Gull Catchers? I
                                would have thought them bizarre enough to at least attract his attention...

                                Or would anyone on the list like to address this one themselves?

                                K.

                                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/alanmoore