Watchmen 2: they are real and... coming!

  • smoky man
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
    • Ryan Dunne
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
         J.Michael Stracyzinski?! Yikes. Say what you will about the merits of the project itself, but Grant Morrison, writer of the best Batman comics of my lifetime, would have been a much better choice....

         I liked Alan's line about Moby Dick. Reminds one of Dave Sim's famous crack about there being no "More Adventures of The Brothers Karamazov"!

        --

        Ryan

        Most dangerous
        Is that temptation that doth goad us on
        To sin in loving virtue; never could the strumpet,
        With all her double vigour, art and nature,
        Once stir my temper; but this virtuous maid
        Subdues me quite. Ever till now
        When men were fond, I smiled and wondered how.
      • Matt Kimmich
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
          While I have a pretty open mind in general when it comes to spin-offs, sequels etc. by writers other than the original one (I try to judge them on a case-by-case basis), this one really puts me off. Watchmen is structured so perfectly, it needs to have a clear beginning, middle and end, and everything within it has its place in that structure. Few other works that I know in any storytelling medium have such a crystalline structure, where the structure is as central to the whole thing. Adding anything to that, even if the add-on in itself is done competently, will feel like an ungainly barnacle.

          - Matt
        • Pádraig Ó Méalóid
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
            I won't be buying it, or reading it. And shame on all those people who are doing it.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
              On Feb 1, 2012, at 3:38 AM, Ryan Dunne wrote:
              > J.Michael Stracyzinski?! Yikes. Say what you will about the merits
              > of the project itself, but Grant Morrison, writer of the best Batman
              > comics of my lifetime, would have been a much better choice....

              I know I am in a minority, but I always found Dr. Manhattan's part of
              the story to be interminable, the constant flashbacks and bland
              characterisation bringing every scene with the character to a
              standstill. However, that perfectly describes JMS' writing, so I
              think he's the ideal writer for the character.

              Morrison will already be doing his taken on the Watchmen in
              Multiversity, if it ever comes out.

              Not happy to see JMS on Nite-Owl though. I had hoped for him or the
              Minutemen we might get James Robinson.
            • Eric Berlatsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                Re: [alanmoore] Watchmen 2: they are real and... coming! Kind of sad...but predictable.  It’s a pretty lukeward endorsement by Gibbons.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                  Re: [alanmoore] Watchmen 2: they are real and... coming! Lukewarm, that is

                  On 2/1/12 7:46 AM, "Eric Berlatsky" <jber1@...> wrote:

                  Kind of sad...but predictable.  It’s a pretty lukeward endorsement by Gibbons.

                  On 2/1/12 7:20 AM, "Michael Norwitz" <michael@...> wrote:

                  On Feb 1, 2012, at 3:38 AM, Ryan Dunne wrote:
                  > J.Michael Stracyzinski?! Yikes. Say what you will about the merits
                  > of the project itself, but Grant Morrison, writer of the best Batman
                  > comics of my lifetime, would have been a much better choice....

                  I know I am in a minority, but I always found Dr. Manhattan's part of
                  the story to be interminable, the constant flashbacks and bland
                  characterisation bringing every scene with the character to a
                  standstill.  However, that perfectly describes JMS' writing, so I
                  think he's the ideal writer for the character.

                  Morrison will already be doing his taken on the Watchmen in
                  Multiversity, if it ever comes out.

                  Not happy to see JMS on Nite-Owl though.  I had hoped for him or the
                  Minutemen we might get James Robinson.

                • Darren Shrubsole
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                    On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Eric Berlatsky <jber1@...> wrote:

                    Lukewarm, that is

                    Actually, it sounds like it was written by the GibbonsBot rather than an actual living, breathing person.
                  • Victor Ochoa
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                      I feel like theres a joke in here somewhere...

                      How many DC creators does it take to try and make watchmen?

                      -Victor

                      DrawMoreInc.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                        BEFORE WATCHMEN includes:

                        -      RORSCHACH (4 issues) - Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
                        -      MINUTEMEN (6 issues) - Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
                        -      COMEDIAN (6 issues) - Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
                        -      DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) - Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
                        -      NITE OWL (4 issues) - Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
                        -      OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) - Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
                        -      SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) - Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

                        Some high powered creative teams here tho.  Sorry, Alan, but I can't see myself passing up on the Darwyn Cooke issues - and the JMS/Hughes and JMS/Kuberts? hmmmm.

                        Just so I'm clear, can someone please remind me of my facts?  Is it:

                        1) Alan feels DC screwed him out of the rights to Watchmen.

                        2) DC says they're just exercising their contractual rights.

                        3) DC offered continued money to Alan and Dave Gibbons (is this correct? if so, was it pursuant to the original contract? or as a token of good will?).

                        4) Alan said:  give all the money to Gibbons, I don't want any.

                        5) Alan said: Dave, you're welcome to do whatever you want on this (or is he pissed at Gibbons for doing Watchmen stuff?).

                        6) Does Gibbons make a percentage on the new series?

                        L nny

                        L nny

                        On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Victor Ochoa <vochoa_nyc@...> wrote:

                        I feel like theres a joke in here somewhere...

                        How many DC creators does it take to try and make watchmen?

                        -Victor

                        DrawMoreInc.com

                        Actually, it sounds like it was written by the GibbonsBot rather than an actual living, breathing person.

                      • Rodrigo Baeza
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                          I wrote a brief post about this, which might be of interest to the list. After thinking about this for a while, I believe that even if Moore and Gibbons did these prequels, they'd still be a mistake, and irrelevant at best.

                          Rodrigo