Absolute Swamp Thing?

  • godels_dead
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2011
      Saw this on eBay:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ALAN-MOORE-ABSOLUTE-SWAMP-THING-N-2-VOLUME-CARTONATO-/200627890717?pt=Cartonati_e_Artbook_d_Autore&hash=item2eb65aaa1d

      (No, I'm not the seller!)

      So, is DC publishing an Absolute Swamp Thing for the European market? If anyone has seen this, is it really in DC's Absolute size format; i.e., bigger and more pages than the English language "deluxe edition" hardbacks of Saga of The Swamp Thing that we get in America? Would anyone here be interested in an Absolute Swamp Thing in English? I would.
    • mikeharlow01
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 14, 2011
        I've been waiting years for DC to come to the logical conclusion that an Absolute Swamp Thing series is a Great Idea. I don't hold out much hope for it anytime soon, though. It took DC almost 20 years before they finally collected all the original issues into color TPBs, while subcontractor publisher Titan Books in the UK had them all collected in gorgeous B&W books by the late 1980s/early 1990s.

        It took DC almost another decade to finally get around to collecting all the Moore issues in HC, although the quality of the paper is only slightly better than the color TPBs. They've done a far better job with Preacher and Starman, two books that arguably wouldn't even exist if Moore hadn't first worked his magic for DC on Swamp Thing.

        If and when DC finally do get around to releasing an Absolute Swamp Thing, I hope they also include the original Wein-Wrightson issues and SotST #16-19 (the pre-Moore Bissette and Totleben issues). I'd love for them to also publish the Nestor Redondo and Tom Yeates issues, but with their redheaded stepchild treatment of Swamp Thing in general I doubt that will ever happen in this slice of the multiverse.

        --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "godels_dead" <godels_dead@...> wrote:

        > Saw this on eBay:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ALAN-MOORE-ABSOLUTE-SWAMP-THING-N-2-VOLUME-CARTONATO-/200627890717?pt=Cartonati_e_Artbook_d_Autore&hash=item2eb65aaa1d
        >
        > (No, I'm not the seller!)
        >
        > So, is DC publishing an Absolute Swamp Thing for the European market? If anyone has seen this, is it really in DC's Absolute size format; i.e., bigger and more pages than the English language "deluxe edition" hardbacks of Saga of The Swamp Thing that we get in America? Would anyone here be interested in an Absolute Swamp Thing in English? I would.

      • Andrew McLean
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 14, 2011
          Steve Bissette observed after the first hardcover came out that they hadn't reproduced all of the art correctly, indicating that he would have been prepared to allow DC access to the originals if they had asked. I think he also noted a missing dialogue caption from the end of one issue. Ideally any future edition would correct these errors.

          On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM, mikeharlow01 <mikeharlow01@...> wrote:
          It took DC almost another decade to finally get around to collecting all the Moore issues in HC, although the quality of the paper is only slightly better than the color TPBs. They've done a far better job with Preacher and Starman, two books that arguably wouldn't even exist if Moore hadn't first worked his magic for DC on Swamp Thing.
        • Jeff Vargon
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 15, 2011
            Between the missing dialogue, inferior reproduced artwork and less than stellar production on the Swamp Thing trades and hardcovers (yes, I own them all) I am glad I still have my complete run of the original issues, including the pre-Moore Steve Bissette stories. Newer readers won't have this option for the most part, and may not even care.

            Peace,

            Jeff
          • david
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
              I was lucky enough to get the titan versions, due to them selling me their 'office copies' that was the first version I saw, and now to me the art only looks 'right' in black and white, the lines (And smell of the paper!) are exquisite.

              Also this was before titan just stuck big ugly stickers with inflated prices on the DC trade, so the books had introductions by Gaiman (from when he was better known as a journalist) Bissette (after he left the book) and many more

              Does anyone else remember when they reprinted the issues in b+w (cant remember the name of the series) how far did that get? And how far did the Sandman equivalent get?
            • Andrew McLean
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM, david <fitnyoung@...> wrote:

                Does anyone else remember when they reprinted the issues in b+w (cant remember the name of the series) how far did that get? And how far did the Sandman equivalent get?

                The Swamp Thing reprints ran for 24 issues (#21-43 + Annual #2). I don't remember any Sandman equivalent.

                Andrew
              • Jay Eales
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                  They didn't do a Sandman one, but they did a Hellblazer series that ran for four volumes.

                  Jay

                  --
                  http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk
                  http://www.britishfantasysociety.org
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                    No, the Essential Vertigo: Sandman series ran to 32 issues, with the last
                    one being the Orpheus special* rather than the start of Brief Lives.

                    *without the glow-in-the-dark surprint

                  • ctowner1@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                      Was that in B&W? I thougt it was an issue by issue color reprint.

                      L nny

                      On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Chris <mute@...> wrote:

                       No, the Essential Vertigo: Sandman series ran to 32 issues, with the last
                      one being the Orpheus special* rather than the start of Brief Lives.

                      *without the glow-in-the-dark surprint

                      On Wed, Aug 17th, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Jay Eales <jay.eales@...> wrote:

                      > They didn't do a Sandman one, but they did a Hellblazer series that ran
                      > for
                      > four volumes.
                      >
                      > Jay
                      >
                      > On 16 August 2011 10:12, Andrew McLean <andrewmclean9@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM, david <fitnyoung@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> **
                      > >>
                      > >> Does anyone else remember when they reprinted the issues in b+w (cant
                      > >> remember the name of the series) how far did that get? And how far did
                      > the
                      > >> Sandman equivalent get?
                      > >>

                      > > The Swamp Thing reprints ran for 24 issues (#21-43 + Annual #2). I
                      > don't
                      > > remember any Sandman equivalent.
                      > >

                      > > Andrew
                      > >

                      > --
                      > http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk
                      > http://www.britishfantasysociety.org
                      > http://caption.org

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         alanmoore-digest@yahoogroups.com
                         alanmoore-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Jay Eales
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                        I thought we were talking about the range of black and white Titan reprint books? The Swamp Thing and Hellblazer books are from the same time frame.

                        Not familiar with the Essential Vertigo thing, but it sounds more like a reprint of individual comics.

                        Jay

                        --
                        http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk
                        http://www.britishfantasysociety.org
                        http://caption.org
                      • Ryan Dunne
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                           Yeah, essential Vertigo was just reprints of the regular issues (without the original lettercols IIRC). Original covers albeit with some new "Essentials" borders:

                          --
                          http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk
                          http://www.britishfantasysociety.org
                          http://caption.org

                          --
                          Ryan

                          Most dangerous
                          Is that temptation that doth goad us on
                          To sin in loving virtue; never could the strumpet,
                          With all her double vigour, art and nature,
                          Once stir my temper; but this virtuous maid
                          Subdues me quite. Ever till now
                          When men were fond, I smiled and wondered how.

                        • david
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 16, 2011
                            Thanks, I did mean the essential vertigo series reprinting the original issues, but can see how my email was not explicitly clear
                          • mikeharlow01
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 17, 2011
                              I'm in complete agreement with you about the Titan B&W reprints. I still think they're the best presentation of the material thus far. I bought my copies in one bulk lump on eBay about a decade ago for just over $100 + shipping from the UK to the US. Before I received them I was worried that I'd overpaid, but the moment I got them I couldn't imagine parting with them for anything. You're right about the smell of the paper, but I also appreciate the thickness of each page. There's no image bleed-through on either side and something about the B&W art just makes the stories that much more atmospheric.

                              Sorry to ramble on, but I had to gush about the quality of those books. I wish DC would give the material half as much care and attention these days as Titan did back then.