RE: [alanmoore] OT: Ordinary Victories, by Manu Larcenet

  • Michael Thomsen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2010

      I've only read the first volume. It's a good series... doesn't quite belong in the absolute top of the new french comics - it's no "Persepolis" or "Epileptic" or "Alan's War". But it's a good book if you're interested in the subject (it's about being in your 20s and having career strains in a creative job). The art is lovely, as you've probably already discovered. I haven't read the second volume yet, but as far as I know those two volumes contain all 4 parts of the original 'mini-series', and those 4 parts are supposed to read like a complete novel.

      Michael

      To: cerebus@yahoogroups.com; alanmoore@yahoogroups.com
      From: ctowner1@...
      Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 00:34:07 -0400
      Subject: [alanmoore] OT: Ordinary Victories, by Manu Larcenet

      Has anyone read this comic? I accidentally bought the 2nd volume, not
      knowing that there was a first. Does it read well from the 2nd
      volume? Or should I track down the 1st volume before reading the 2nd?
      And, overall, is this a good series? (and is it 2 volumes in total?
      perhaps more volumes in the smaller european versions?)

      L nny

    • Michael Thomsen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2010
        ...and it seems to me that it reads like one story in four books, so it would probably be best to track volume one down before reading the second part.

      • ctowner1@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2010
          Thanks, michael. That's what I was suspecting, but wanted to confirm.

          L nny

          On 5/1/10, Michael Thomsen <mtxxforum@...> wrote:

          > ...and it seems to me that it reads like one story in four books, so it
          > would probably be best to track volume one down before reading the second
          > part.

        • Pedro Bazán Márquez
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2010
            Hello all,

            It is a good read and a good serie...

            L nny, I think you could start it reading the second issue to try it... (I did the same thing myself because I thought it was an stand-alone album :^S).

            Besides all Michael said about it, the story is about growing towards maturity and the stress caused by that and discovering things you don't like about people you love.

            Best regards,

            Pedro Bazán

            To: cerebus@yahoogroups .com; alanmoore@yahoogrou ps.com

              To: cerebus@yahoogroups.com; alanmoore@yahoogroups.com