Watchmen 2?

  • smoky man
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
      Just read it:
      http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/02/03/get-ready-for-watchmen-2/

      Only one reaction: "Oh-my-god!"
      Maybe it's a joke... it has to be... a joke! Yes, it's a joke. I am sure it is. Maybe!

      smok!

    • john koutsoupakis
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
        not this shit again.

      • Rob Messick

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010

                It made me smile when it says "The most creatively-acceptable solution would be Dave Gibbons writing and drawing new Watchmen titles."

                Oh yeah, right because Dave is nearly (!) as good a writer as Uncle Alan.
          • John
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
              Then people, even in this group, wonder and criticize Alan for his criticism of Hollywood.

            • johnnywalker2k1
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
                No. Then people in this group end up believing everything they read: Watchmen 2 (the movie at least) is a complete myth.

                http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/not-a-chance-of-watchmen-film-sequel/

                --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, John <jkoutsoupakis@...> wrote:

                > Then people, even in this group, wonder and criticize Alan for his criticism of Hollywood.

              • Ryan Dunne
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
                   Because the movie is considered a flop. But does anyone doubt that a) DC would do pretty much anything if it would make a profit b) they have no reason to try and keep Alan happy c) a Watchmen comic sequel/prequel would be a Dark Knight Strikes Again hit?

                  --
                  ryan

                  www.twitter.com/cerebusboy
                • Jay Eales
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
                    On Bleeding Cool, Rich Johnston explained that he checked out the story on Watchmen comics in the works before running it, and from there, the story was picked up by movie sites, who then added the Watchmen 2 movie stuff to the rumours in order to justify reporting it on a movie site. Then, people checked into the movie rumour and found no basis to that, but nobody's officially denying the comics rumours...

                    Jay

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010

                      No. Then people in this group end up believing everything they read: Watchmen 2 (the movie at least) is a complete myth.

                      no? what do you mean no? some people in this group don't criticize alan no? or no to something I didn't say like "i believe everything i read"?

                      really, i couldn't give a shit if watchmen 2 came out or 3, 0r 4.  i would not see it or them just like i did not see watchmen. just like i wouldnt go see a movie adaptation of  the brothers karamazov, les miserables, war and peace, the bible, or any complicated work of fiction. if something ain't broke don't fix it. noone needs to see comic adaptations. theyre right there in the fucking bookstores everwhere now. comic geeks have been vindicated since the 80's theyre just too stupid to know, because let's face it, most people are stupid and they're still reading mindless mastubatory drivel like xmen and superman occasionally by a decent writer who's decided to get paid for wanking it instead of just letting them die. just let batman and superman die. let these fuckers rest in peace. theyre in theyre fucking 70's now. have some decency or some brains. stop reading  Twilight and read some Camus or Aeschylus or Bukowski. stop clapping your hands in joy every time you get fed a spoonfull of shit from the the purveyor of money making machines, whether they be hollywood government religion or whatever.

                      do yourself a favor for the future. learn to read,  learn to think, and before you actually write something , let it fester in your mind a little bit before you just chuck it out for the world to see. usually when people throw up they run away from people, not toward them.

                    • Pádraig Ó Méalóid
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                        "...before you actually write something, let it fester in your mind a little bit before you just chuck it out for the world to see."

                        Useful advice for all of us, it would seem.

                        Pádraig

                        My LiveJournals:
                        http://slovobooks.livejournal.com/
                        http://glycon.livejournal.com/
                        Http://reviewsnthings.livejournal.com/

                      • ctowner1@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                          I hope Watchmen2 is made, is a great hit, and it drives even more people to read Alan's Watchmen (just like the movie caused 1000's and 1000's of new people to read it).  I could care less if crap comes out based on great stuff.  No one's forcing anyone to read it.

                          And hell, who knows, maybe it'll be good.

                          Godfather III, can't hold a candle to Godfather I & II, and yet, hey!, it's a decent movie - just gets maligned when compared to the masterpieces.

                          L nny

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                Lenny don't change the subject. The subject was and is Alan's work vs. adaptations, not! whether the adaptation brings the work more readers. I could give a shit about the kind of people who rely on films in order to tell them what to read. People like that aren't worth the brains in their heads. No offence.
                              • ctowner1@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                  I'm sorry...was there a subject alert I missed? I was posting under the "Watchmen 2" subject line.  I believe my post was pertinent to the subject line.

                                  But on the subject of Alan's work vs. adaptation, what's to debate? Of course Alan's primary material will be better than any adaptation.  So what's to discuss? Which adaptations is least bad?

                                  And I'm of the opinion that the more people who read Alan's work, the better.  Not just the "good" ones.  And, I suspect, the Watchmen movie probably attracted some of those, anyway.

                                  No offense taken.

                                  L nny

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                    No that's not the question, there was no question. what there was was a statement:

                                    "Then people, even in this group, wonder and criticize Alan for his criticism of Hollywood. "

                                    I believe before that I wrote -  "not this shit again."

                                    There isn't anything to discuss.

                                    There is simply a dismay on my part that Alan's old work and his new work have been adapted badly and people don't think about what Alan has said about this. He has vehemently spoken against the films and has explained himself, and yet on this forum, people badmouth him and his opinions. And that is perplexing and frustrating

                                    I'm of the opinion that the more people who read Alan's work, the better also. but i have to ask how and why, more people read them. is it because they brains or because they dont have brains.

                                  • Chris
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                      On Mon, Feb 8th, 2010 at 8:57 AM, john koutsoupakis
                                      <jkoutsoupakis@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm of the opinion that the more people who read Alan's work, the
                                      > better also. but i have to ask how and why, more people read them. is
                                      > it because they brains or because they dont have brains.

                                      I THINK IT... BECAUSE THEY BRAINS

                                      BRAAIIIIINS
                                    • Michael Norwitz
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010

                                        On Feb 7, 2010, at 1:57 PM, john koutsoupakis wrote:

                                        I'm of the opinion that the more people who read Alan's work, the better also. but i have to ask how and why, more people read them. is it because they brains or because they dont have brains.

                                        I believe that reading good work is one of the ways someone develops a brain.  So I really don't care why or how someone chooses to read Watchmen.

                                        Sure, some people will misunderstand it and take away the wrong messages, but it's not as if any book is immune to that ... the Bible, for example.
                                      • john koutsoupakis
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                          they

                                        • john koutsoupakis
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                            michael,

                                            i respectfully disagree with you. motives count heaps to me.

                                          • michael peters
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                              I have to side with Lenny (or Lnny with the hovering "e") - - Alan is still famous, but not in the way he was... in '86, or even '96.  He's as famous now for being famously curmudgeonly (the context often being lost ) and eccentric, and less for his work.  I don't see that as a good thing and would like more people to read and appreciate his works.

                                              There are numerous writers we miss reading simply because we miss the height of their fame.  Many comics fans were just being born in the '80s when most of us discovered Alan Moore's writing.  We can't fault them for being born too late.  We can't fault them for all the comics shops closing (many comics shops shut down in America, during the late '90s implosion) and not giving comics much thought after they grew too old for the latest adventures of Spider-Man... until perhaps they saw V For Vendetta, or Watchmen and find the collections in a regular bookstore, or on Amazon.

                                              Saying, "we only want the 'right' fans, who discovered Alan's work the way we did" is snobbery.  Who are we to judge them by the avenue that leads them ?

                                              http://mlpeters.com
                                              http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=913
                                              http://comicspace.com/mlpeters
                                              http://myspace.com/mlpetersartist

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                                I'd still rather see more copies of the original Watchmen in the hands of more readers than some ridiculous sequel.  It's a self-contained story that doesn't need a sequel.

                                                I don't mind adaptations, if done reasonable well.  I prefer john Steinbeck's novel, The Grapes of Wrath, but enjoy John Ford's adaptation without guilt(even with the awkward ending).  I wouldn't want to read or watch "The Grapes of Wrath 2 -- The Joads Strike Back!" LOL.