Re: [alanmoore] Chemical Romance/soundtrack CD

  • notch
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
      11. Ride of the Valkyries (Budapest Symphony Orchestra)

      I am actually really intrigued as to how they are handling this particular scene.

      dammit, its so bitter sweet, im like a fly mesmerised by the bug zapper, i know its gonna make me feel sick but i just cant resist the pull, the weight of great literature and tangled neurological relativity has created a mass that seems to have its own gravity. to take the metaphor a step too far....i hope i can maintain orbit and not crash helplessly into the mass, that could be embarrassing....

      walker

      On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Michael Thomsen <mtxxforum@...> wrote:

      I'm actually surprised at how much that cover version is upsetting me. Dylan and "Watchmen" meant a lot to me at a certain age.

      I'd been lulled into sleep by the good looking trailers, but now I'm suddenly remembering that something that means a lot to me is being repacked and aimed at 14-year old teens from the mid-west.

      At least the rest of the soundtrack album is looking decent - nice to see "Pirate Jenny" on there:

      1. Desolation Row (My Chemical Romance)
      2. Unforgettable (Nat King Cole)
      3. The Times They Are A-Changin' (Bob Dylan)
      4. The Sound Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)
      5. Me & Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin)
      6. I'm Your Boogie Man (KC & The Sunshine Band)
      7. You're My Thrill (Billie Holiday)
      8. Pruit Igoe & Prophecies (Philip Glass)
      9. Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
      10. All Along The Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix)
      11. Ride of the Valkyries (Budapest Symphony Orchestra)
      12. Pirate Jenny (Nina Simone)

      To: alanmoore@yahoogroups.com

      yah..sucky.  Doesn't the lead singer do Umbrella Academy, though? THAT is good! lol

      L nny

      On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Michael Thomsen <mtxxforum@...> wrote:

      oh dear

      oh dear

      oh dear

      :(

      My Chemical Romance covers "Desolation Row" for the Watchmen movie.

      An abomination.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYmfmR7Ou4

    • ctowner1@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
        I would guess it is used in the dr. M in the viet nam scenes, as a
        counterpoint to its use in apocalypse now.

        L nny

      • notch
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
          or a certain Garage scene.....wearing fake strap on breasts.....

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
            Lol! Was that composition mentioned in the text? I recall he
            listened to music- but was it IDed?

          • ctowner1@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
              Thanks Fabio- I assume then that is where we'll hear it (althoiugh it
              would be cool to hear it as a giant Dr. M give the US VVN Day!).

              L nny

              On 2/1/09, fabio blanco <blankfabio@...> wrote:
              > I am reading again Watchmen, I just finished chapter 2 and yes, is The
              > Ride of the Valkyries.
              > But I believe that "Under the Hood" is part of the extras from "The
              > Black Freighter".
              >
              > Extras from the "extras without DVD". ;-)
              >
              > FABIO
              >

              > ctowner1@... escribió:
              >> Lol! Was that composition mentioned in the text? I recall he
              >> listened to music- but was it IDed?

              >> L nny
              >>

              > --
              > bonvolu post al blankfabio@...
              > www.virusmental.com

            • notch
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                Its a vivid memory from my first ever reading of watchmen.

                It looks like there is a slightly higher amount or different mix of Minutemen material in the main movie, which is why i wouldn't be surprised to see it, considering it is in the soundtrack.

                --
                bonvolu post al blankfabio@...
                www.virusmental.com

              • fabio blanco
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009

                  --
                  bonvolu post al blankfabio@...
                  www.virusmental.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2009
                    So when will they use "The Sound of Silence"? Will it go "Hello Darkness My Old Friend" as the camera zooms into the rorshack blot? Or is it's the sound of mars?

                    To: alanmoore@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2009
                      I wrote a blog post about the translation of "Pirate Jenny"and it's use in Watchmen. Nothing much, I admit... anybody got additional information or thoughts?

                      http://1930sblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/theres-ship-black-freighter.html

                      Michael

                      What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out
                    • Michael Norwitz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009

                        On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Michael Thomsen wrote:

                        I wrote a blog post about the translation of "Pirate Jenny" and it's use in Watchmen. Nothing much, I admit... anybody got additional information or thoughts?

                        http://1930sblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/theres-ship-black-freighter.html

                        Thanks for raising that issue.  I have a couple translations of the original which are accurate, and have wondered where the insistent 'Black Freighter' meme came from.

                      • Michael Thomsen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 4, 2009

                          The big question was whether the "Black" thing introduced to deliberately talk about Southern black issues, or whether it was just luck that it worked so well in the Nina Simone version. The info maybe be out there somewhere.

                          Actually it would be nice to have a Wikipedia entry on the song to have easy access that kind of information. There is a seperate entry on "Mack The Knife", but not on "Pirate Jenny". Now if I wasn't so lazy and my writing in English didn't suck so much...

                          To: alanmoore@yahoogroups.com
                          From: blaklion@...
                          Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:45:26 -0800
                          Subject: Re: [alanmoore] Soundtrack CD / Pirate Jenny

                          On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Michael Thomsen wrote:

                          I wrote a blog post about the translation of "Pirate Jenny" and it's use in Watchmen. Nothing much, I admit... anybody got additional information or thoughts?

                          http://1930sblog. blogspot. com/2009/ 02/theres- ship-black- freighter. html

                          Thanks for raising that issue.  I have a couple translations of the original which are accurate, and have wondered where the insistent 'Black Freighter' meme came from.

                          check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. More than messages