Savage Critics: Douglas Wolk rereads Moore's WildC.A.T.S.

  • Franz Fuchs
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
      ---
      I read Alan Moore's run on WildC.A.T.S. when it was originally published,
      between 1995 and 1997, and I don't think I'd read any of it again since. I
      remembered it as Moore seriously phoning it in, and I figured the
      republication a month or two ago of all of it in a single volume, ALAN
      MOORE'S COMPLETE WILDC.A.T.S., would be a good opportunity to go back to it
      and see how it's aged.

      The answer: it's still phoned-in, but reasonably Good anyway.
      ---

      More:

      http://tinyurl.com/2qyy2y

      or

      savagecritic.com/2007/09/worlds-tiniest-giant-douglas-rereads.html
    • ctowner1@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
        On 9/30/07, Andrew Hickey <stealthmunchkin@...> wrote:
        On 9/29/07, Chris <mute@...> wrote:

        >  It's a proper comic (that illustrates the original text), but Snakes &
        >  Ladders is a better one. (The Birth Cail CD, though, is the best thing
        >  Moore has ever released.)

        Personally, I think The Birth Caul (the comic version) is one of the
        best things ever done in any medium. Both The Birth Caul and Snakes &
        Ladders are in the Moore/Campbell collection A Disease Of Language,
        which everyone should get - it's a fantastic book.>>

        I agree - both are must reads for Alan fans - and I actually enjoyed the Birth caul a bit better - the ending is just terrific.

        L nny

      • Michael Norwitz
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2007
          On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Franz Fuchs wrote:

          > I read Alan Moore's run on WildC.A.T.S. when it was originally
          > published, between 1995 and 1997, and I don't think I'd read any of it
          > again since. I remembered it as Moore seriously phoning it in, and I
          > figured the republication a month or two ago of all of it in a single
          > volume, ALAN MOORE'S COMPLETE WILDC.A.T.S., would be a good opportunity
          > to go back to it and see how it's aged.
          >
          > The answer: it's still phoned-in, but reasonably Good anyway.

          It's pretty innocuous in terms of plot and concept, on the other hand it
          has, in my opinion, some of his funniest dialogue.

          Mikel Midnight
          "You will die, sir, either on the gallows or from the
          pox." (John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich)
          "That depends, sir, on whether I embrace your principles
          or your mistress." (John Wilkes, sometime friend of his
          and rakish member of the aristocracy)

          blaklion@...
          ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.best.vwh.net
        • furioso2012
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2007
            I've been looking for the BROUGHT TO LIGHT cd for several years now
            with zero success, which is semistrange, as I've been able to hunt
            down practically ever other object of lust I've scouted for (mostly
            books).

            Could anybody make an mp3 for me (us)?
          • ctowner1@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2007
              I'd be interested in any offline discussions on this issue
              (ahem..purely for intellectual reasons, mind you! lol ;^)

              L nyn

              On 10/2/07, furioso2012 <mark-parsons@...> wrote:
              > I've been looking for the BROUGHT TO LIGHT cd for several years now
              > with zero success, which is semistrange, as I've been able to hunt
              > down practically ever other object of lust I've scouted for (mostly
              > books).
              >
              > Could anybody make an mp3 for me (us)?
            • Jeff Wood
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2007
                I know I said I don't like posting this stuff to groups, but what the heck...

                Here's the 'Brought to Light' comic and CD.

                Enjoy!

                Jeff

                On 10/2/07, ctowner1@... <ctowner1@...> wrote:

                I'd be interested in any offline discussions on this issue
                (ahem..purely for intellectual reasons, mind you! lol ;^)

                L nyn

                On 10/2/07, furioso2012 < mark-parsons@...> wrote:
                > I've been looking for the BROUGHT TO LIGHT cd for several years now
                > with zero success, which is semistrange, as I've been able to hunt
                > down practically ever other object of lust I've scouted for (mostly
                > books).
                >
                > Could anybody make an mp3 for me (us)?

              • chinaboatman
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 14, 2007
                  I already have both of these but thanks anyway for posting and
                  sharing. It's good to see a few people finally stand up to the
                  dominant minority on this list who like to bully people into
                  accepting their viewpoint on issues surrounding the personal trade
                  of copyrighted material.

                  I know for a fact that the majority of people on this list trade
                  such material so you shouldn't be wary.

                  --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Wood" <jeffswood@...> wrote:

                  > I know I said I don't like posting this stuff to groups, but what
                  the
                  > heck...
                  >
                  > Here's the 'Brought to Light' comic and CD.

                  http://rs61.rapidshare.com/files/19051054/alanmoorebroughttolightcomi
                  candcd.rar

                  > Enjoy!
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  >

                  > On 10/2/07, ctowner1@... <ctowner1@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'd be interested in any offline discussions on this issue
                  > > (ahem..purely for intellectual reasons, mind you! lol ;^)

                  > > L nyn
                  > >
                  > > On 10/2/07, furioso2012 <mark-parsons@...<mark-parsons%
                  40sbcglobal.net>>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > I've been looking for the BROUGHT TO LIGHT cd for several
                  years now
                  > > > with zero success, which is semistrange, as I've been able to
                  hunt
                  > > > down practically ever other object of lust I've scouted for
                  (mostly
                  > > > books).
                  > > >
                  > > > Could anybody make an mp3 for me (us)?

                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 14, 2007
                    Quoting chinaboatman <chinaboatman@...>:

                    > I already have both of these but thanks anyway for posting and
                    > sharing. It's good to see a few people finally stand up to the
                    > dominant minority on this list who like to bully people into
                    > accepting their viewpoint on issues surrounding the personal trade
                    > of copyrighted material.

                    A "viewpoint", or actual legality? Bullying, or quietly wishing people
                    didn't actually object to paying our friends for the work they create,
                    own and earn a living from?

                    > I know for a fact that the majority of people on this list trade
                    > such material so you shouldn't be wary.

                    Was there a poll?
                  • notch
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 14, 2007
                      Ola,

                      I say sharing is to be encouraged, especially for out of print works like these where you are not taking sales from the creators at all. In fact many countries copyright laws actually rank selling cd's dvd's secondhand on par with copying....

                      I wouldnt like to get to the stage however where we are sharing scans of the latest Alan Moore works. We should be ensuring purchase of these items. Otherwise he might run out of money to keep his legendary stash of......supplied.

                      Alan does a pretty good amercan accent doesnt he!, especially since he has a very recognisable voice anyway.....

                      from the blather  interview:

                      "Um, well, you know, up to a point. It was quite a revelation when I actually researched it - well, no, it wasn't a revelation entirely, having grown up in the '60s I'd been exposed to more bizarre conspiracy theories than most but this wasn't conspiracy theory, it was conspiracy fact. It was an artistic challenge putting it all together. I was very pleased with the final result. I heard a nice little story from a film director who's actually making a film based upon the memoirs of a spook who was a part of most of the ventures that we talk about in Brought to Light, including all the Miami stuff, all the stuff in Vietnam in Operation Phoenix and all that sort of stuff, this guy was a veteran of those campaigns. The director of the film gave him a copy of Brought to Light and said "Here, see what you think of this," and the guy came back in the next morning - as the director described it to me, this spook came in in a state of semi-shock. For one thing he was surprized by some of the things that we knew and had printed, little things like the Australian CIA bugging facility which no-one's supposed to know about and the hand that it had in overthrowing Gough Whitlam's Labour government. But the thing that he was most shaken by was the characterization of the Eagle. He just said "That's us. That's all of us guys. That's us!"

                      walker

                    • kevindh@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 14, 2007
                        Actually, it's not EXACTLY illegal to trade copies of out of print
                        works, unless you're making some sort of profit from them. It's a
                        rather gray area of the law admittedly, but an important one.

                        Now, if you were giving out free copies of something with the knowledge
                        it was about to come back into print, that MIGHT also violate the law.
                        (I'd have to check some sources, and I'm feeling way too lazy to do
                        that...it might be dependent on your specific intent, too.)

                        Also, fair use laws allow you to make copies (at least in the US) of
                        virtually anything so long as it's for non-profit informational or
                        educational purposes. You can read up on fair use laws here:
                        http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

                        Hope this helps...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 14, 2007
                          Quoting kevindh@...:

                          > Actually, it's not EXACTLY illegal to trade copies of out of print
                          > works, unless you're making some sort of profit from them. It's a
                          > rather gray area of the law admittedly, but an important one.
                          >
                          > Now, if you were giving out free copies of something with the
                          > knowledge
                          > it was about to come back into print, that MIGHT also violate the
                          > law.

                          I'm talking about the people offering scans of CURRENTLY IN PRINT
                          material:
                          http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=9176