What's Next For Uncle Alan?

  • cunning_magee
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hey, guys...

      With Lost Girls now available (well...depending on where you're
      located) and the Black Dossier hopefully arriving sometime within the
      next 4 - 6 months, I thought I'd pose the question of what further
      goodies await us down the road. From this vantage point, there seems
      to be 4 projects in the works from AM that we can expect. In no
      particular order, they are:

      1. Jerusalem

      2. The League project after the Black Dossier, aka "LOEG Volume 3"

      3. Collaboration with Jose Villarubia: "Graphic novel about magic"
      (according to Lying in the Gutters) from some European publisher

      4. The "original work" that Alan still owes to Avatar.

      Does anyone know of any others? (Not that these aren't enough, mind
      you. I don't want to appear greedy.)

      Since we have some information about the first two, I have to say it's
      the latter pair that are currently attracting my interest. I wonder if
      the upcoming book with Jose has anything to do with the old "History
      of Magic" series Alan was considering at one point? I had thought that
      particular project had joined the long list of ideas we'd never
      actually see developed, it's been so long since Moore's talked about
      it. And as for the Avatar thing, all we know about it is that Alan
      owes them something by contract, and he always honors his contracts.
      It could be anything...which is why I'm so damn curious about it.

      John D.

      PS: The new Wizard (# 181) has a brief interview with AM, in which he
      answers questions about the Black Dossier. There are *LOADS* of spoilers.
    • MHW
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 10, 2006
        From: "Steven MacEacheran" <steven.maceacheran@...>

        > Fair points all, but is it a case that people have a problem with
        > adaptation in general or is it more a case of "hands off our Alan"?

        Can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't object to adaptations of
        anyone's work per se. But there seems to be a curse on Uncle Alan's stuff
        whereby any film based on such has been, to put it bluntly, shit.

        It's not so much that the films fail to be the books -- I don't expect that.
        I'd just like, for once, to see a good film get made, even if its
        resemblance to the Moore original is only passing.

        --
        MHW