Re: Lost Girls: The Movie

  • fourinone2002
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "johncoulthart" <incunabula@...>
      wrote:

      > No one has signed on to direct it yet!
      >
      > (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

      I've actually heard a rumor that John Waters is interested in making
      this movie.

      I know that Waters is a fan of Alan Moore's work, and he does hold
      porn in high regard, so I think he could make a good XXX rated
      adaption! Here's hoping!
    • kevindh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2006
        Ewww...

        I don't know about anyone else, but I find most John Waters absolutely unwatchable.  (There are exceptions, though I tend to find those exceptions merely go into the "Watchable, But Not Very Good" category.)

        I think Waters isn't a bad director for what he does, but I tend to think his pursuits are gimmickery, kitchy, and campy, while wrapped into a package of uncomfortable situations and weirdness, basically for the sake of uncomfortable situations and weirdness. Don't get me wrong of course, there are some filmmakers who do virtually the same thing, and I forgive them for it completely.  Late Orson Welles come to mind, but then again, Orson Welles (kitchy or not) ALWAYS commanded the screen and his audience in a way that Waters is fairly lean on.

        Waters is a VERY good speaker, writer, thinker, a generally nice guy, and for the most part he has very good taste in movies.  However, I think his work is, in a way, stuck in a very specific pocket of Americana.  That's not to say that he couldn't transcend his previous conventions, and themes with the right material, but the whole thing leaves me groaning far more than it does hoping for a great movie.

        Then again, as has been stated so many times before:  Why do comics fans and publishers see their key to legitimacy as having a (in this case sensitive and very personal) work developed into a (generally bland) Hollywood project?

        Yours,

        Kevin

        PS.  If it WAS gonna be made, though...I'm pretty sure that the only director I wanna see making Lost Girls is Wong Kar-Wai!  His movies are sexy, stylish, visual as hell, and populated by miserable, lonely people trapped in hotel rooms who're constantly trying to (re)capture some fleeting moment of happiness.  (What's not to like?)

        wrote:

        > No one has signed on to direct it yet!
        >
        > (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

        I've actually heard a rumor that John Waters is interested in making
        this movie.

        I know that Waters is a fan of Alan Moore's work, and he does hold
        porn in high regard, so I think he could make a good XXX rated
        adaption! Here's hoping!

        Something is new at Yahoo! Groups.  Check out the enhanced email design.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/aSIolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Steven MacEacheran
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2006

          A spokesman for the hospital said: "We have in the past taken the view that certain uses were not appropriate. It's a different situation with copyright law in the US . There have been prequels and sequels published in the States. It's unlikely we'll do anything about that.

          "But both the book and the play are still in copyright in the UK . There could be an argument that this could infringe on our copyright."

          Brett Warnock, publisher of Top Shelf, said discussions were going on between the firm's lawyer and the hospital about the use of the character and he was "not at liberty to discuss" the details. But he added: "It is indeed our full intent to distribute to the UK ."

           http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/news/article1153635.ece

        • johncoulthart
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2006
            This still sounds to me like an over-reaction on the hospital's part that's been caused by
            tabloid goons phoning and asking what they think of the "Peter Pan porn book". Alan has
            worked variations on these stories and their familiar themes, he's not interested in a
            straight re-telling with a porn slant. What would be the point in that? And where Peter Pan
            is concerned, there's plenty of precedent in this area, one example of which was reviewed
            in the Guardian's book supplement this weekend. Are they going to go after Faber as well?

            Kensington Gardens by Rodrigo Fresán, translated by Natasha Wimmer (Faber, £8.99)

            Argentine author Rodrigo Fresán's new book, his first to be translated into English, is a
            curious delight, narrated by "Peter Hook", orphaned child of minor Swinging London
            celebrities, and a bestselling children's author. He recounts his warped childhood of
            parties, drugs, possible fratricide and the loss of his parents. Simultaneously we are told
            the story of the life of JM Barrie and the genesis of Peter Pan. The two tales are interwoven,
            and along the way the narrator also muses on a multitude of concepts, from air travel to
            magic to music magazines. The book is about childhood, about being a lost boy, about
            the curious horror of Barrie's life and the lives of those he loved, about London, about the
            60s, about memory and time. It spirals and refracts like a psychedelic image. The
            analogue that informs the novel is Sgt Pepper and, like that album, this book is interested
            in invention, dissonance, variety, collage and surprise. Sections are really quite
            spectacular, and the novel fizzes with ideas and energy. However, ultimately, it is unclear
            quite what one is meant to make of it all, and the conclusion simply evaporates.

            --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "Steven MacEacheran" <steven.maceacheran@...>
            wrote:

            > A spokesman for the hospital said: "We have in the past taken the view that
            > certain uses were not appropriate. It's a different situation with copyright
            > law in the US. There have been prequels and sequels published in the States.
            > It's unlikely we'll do anything about that.
            >
            > "But both the book and the play are still in copyright in the UK. There
            > could be an argument that this could infringe on our copyright."
            >
            > Brett Warnock, publisher of Top Shelf, said discussions were going on
            > between the firm's lawyer and the hospital about the use of the character
            > and he was "not at liberty to discuss" the details. But he added: "It is
            > indeed our full intent to distribute to the UK."
            >
            > http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/news/article1153635.ece

          • smithand44
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 3, 2006
              --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "johncoulthart" <incunabula@...> wrote:

              > Kensington Gardens by Rodrigo Fresán, translated by Natasha Wimmer
              (Faber, £8.99)

              > Argentine author Rodrigo Fresán's new book, his first to be
              translated into English, is a
              > curious delight, narrated by "Peter Hook",

              Sounds like New Order's bassost should be able to sue this author too.
            • chinaboatman
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
                --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "smithand44" <smithand44@...> wrote:

                > > Kensington Gardens by Rodrigo Fresán, translated by Natasha Wimmer
                > (Faber, £8.99)
                > >
                > > Argentine author Rodrigo Fresán's new book, his first to be
                > translated into English, is a
                > > curious delight, narrated by "Peter Hook",
                >
                > Sounds like New Order's bassist should be able to sue this author
                too.

                Ha ha ha! I certanly don't think that is the sort of thing Peter wants
                his name attached to. Chortle! To be fair I think that New Order's
                Peter Hook is a curious delight too. Saw New Order at Finsbury park a
                few years back. Pissed down with rain all day; i'd had no sleep for
                well over 24 hours, i'd had my bag stolen with my then very expensive
                MP3 player in and my Joy Division 'Unknown Pleasures' T shirt. There
                had been a parade of crap support bands culminating in French hipsters
                Air playing a meandering set of subtle mood pieces in the torrential
                rain (I was wearing just a T shirt) and i'd just had an unpleasant
                altercation with a chap who accused me of pushing his wife (it wasn't
                me, it was my mate!) Then, New Order came on, the sun came out and all
                was forgotten. Brilliant gig.

                Thanks for that. Very funny.