CONSTANTINE is a keeper: nine out of tehn!

  • furioso2012
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
      Just got back from Los Angeles' beautiful Egyptian Theater, home to the American
      Cinematheque, where I saw an AICN presentation of CONSTANTINE.

      Short verdict: amazing & impressive on all fronts. Faithful to the comics where it counted,
      but stands on its own two feet. And this is from a reader who's been a major JC fan since
      day one back in 1983 and a now shame-faced naysayer who hated the idea of making
      Constantine a Yank. And wait till you see Peter Stormare's daringly eccentric take on The
      First of the Fallen. Creepy in the best sense of the word: here is a satan who would cheat
      your grandmother of her saving then gleefully molest her cats.

      X-MEN and SPIDEY are in some senses "hard" to screw up, but as a horror movie crucially
      dependent on tone and theme, I feel that CONSTANTINE is a more difficult project. The
      director (name escapes me: past my bedtime) is definitely one to watch and I cannot wait
      to see what the sequel will be like.

      Alas, the end credits give "created by" props to...nobody. With AM withdrawing his name
      from all movies (in this case, I think he'd be, if not pleased, then certainly not horrified),
      the credit should have fallen to Bissette and maybe Veitch, who, I dimly recall, "cast" JC as
      Sting. If Warner's selected a filmmaking crew as well as they did here, a SWAMP THING
      movie based in AM's run could really be somethign special...
    • RANCHORDAS Manoj
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2005
        I read this over at hollywood-elsewhere.com:

        2/10/2005 08:15:23 AM
        The obiter dicta (i.e., words in passing) in Brian Lowry's recently
        posted Variety review of Constantine (Warner Bros., 2.18) sounds
        somewhat predictable: "Pic does win a few points for style if not
        substance." The opening graph, though, has a strong alliterative punch:
        "Keanu Reeves' latest man-in-black fantasy is slightly better than The
        Matrix sequels, which is tantamount to damnation with faint praise.
        Casting its star as a chain-smoking exorcist -- someone who's literally
        been to hell and back -- this adaptation of the graphic novel
        "Hellblazer" blazes few new trails and bogs down in a confusing
        narrative muddle. Atmospheric and noirish in the manner of a poor man's
        Blade Runner, pic possesses powerful imagery but lacks feature-length
        substance and will need a bountiful harvest of opening-weekend souls
        before a stench resembling brimstone dowses its box office flame."

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2005
          > whoo hooo!!! Hope he's right!!! Anyone heard anything BAD yet??

          > L nny

          well, I heard Keanu Reeves plays Constantine. That's BAD!

          FABIO
          waitin' for the parallel universe version played by Sting...