Re: [alanmoore] Moore cheeses off Lord of the Rings fans

  • Eolake Stobblehouse
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
      >I console myself that he doesn't mean the very idea of films in general,
      >but really just Hollywood films. After all, rejecting a whole medium
      >because of the popular tosh would be like ... rejecting comics.

      Well, Dave Sim has rejected both music and film (or at least acting),
      and he is perfectly happy. Or at least he claims so.

      Yours, Eolake

      ---
      http://stobblehouse.com
      Fine Art for the Discerning Customer
    • Michael Norwitz
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:

        > >I console myself that he doesn't mean the very idea of films in general,
        > >but really just Hollywood films. After all, rejecting a whole medium
        > >because of the popular tosh would be like ... rejecting comics.
        >
        > Well, Dave Sim has rejected both music and film (or at least acting),
        > and he is perfectly happy. Or at least he claims so.

        What's your point, given that one typically doesn't use Dave Sim as a
        reasonable example of ... anything, really?

        Mikel Midnight
        "You will die, sir, either on the gallows or from the
        pox." (John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich)
        "That depends, sir, on whether I embrace your principles
        or your mistress." (John Wilkes, sometime friend of his
        and rakish member of the aristocracy)

        blaklion@...
        ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.best.vwh.net
      • Eolake Stobblehouse
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
          >On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Eolake Stobblehouse wrote:
          >
          >> >I console myself that he doesn't mean the very idea of films in general,
          >> >but really just Hollywood films. After all, rejecting a whole medium
          >> >because of the popular tosh would be like ... rejecting comics.
          >>
          >> Well, Dave Sim has rejected both music and film (or at least acting),
          >> and he is perfectly happy. Or at least he claims so.
          >
          >What's your point, given that one typically doesn't use Dave Sim as a
          >reasonable example of ... anything, really?

          I just think it is amusing.

          Yours, Eolake

          ---
          http://stobblehouse.com
          Fine Art for the Discerning Customer
        • Andrew Hickey
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
            > Well, Dave Sim has rejected both music and film (or at least acting),
            > and he is perfectly happy. Or at least he claims so.

            Actually, I'm sure I read somewhere that he still goes to the cinema
            occasionally - he just doesn't own a TV (and I can't blame him for
            that, while I watch DVDs on mine I literally haven't watched a second
            of broadcast TV of my own free will since June...). I thought it was
            in one of the things he wrote to the Cerebus group, but a cursory
            search didn't turn anything up, so it must have been in the back of
            one of the later issues...

            --
            Andrew Hickey and Trevor DeMont headline
            International Pop Overthrow, the Cavern, Liverpool
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
              > while I watch DVDs on mine I literally haven't watched a second
              >of broadcast TV of my own free will since June...).

              Me neither, for over a year now. It saves time and brain cells.

              Yours, Eolake

              ---
              http://stobblehouse.com
              Fine Art for the Discerning Customer
            • Eroom Nala
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Hickey <stealthmunchkin@g...>
                wrote:
                > > Well, Dave Sim has rejected both music and film (or at least acting),
                > > and he is perfectly happy. Or at least he claims so.
                >
                > Actually, I'm sure I read somewhere that he still goes to the cinema
                > occasionally - he just doesn't own a TV (and I can't blame him for
                > that, while I watch DVDs on mine I literally haven't watched a second
                > of broadcast TV of my own free will since June...). I thought it was
                > in one of the things he wrote to the Cerebus group, but a cursory
                > search didn't turn anything up, so it must have been in the back of
                > one of the later issues...
                >
                >onday October 25

                If he watches the Sopranos he must have a TV. I suppose being partly
                deaf in one ear and blind in one eye must take away some of the joy of
                watching films.
              • ctowner1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/2/2004 6:25:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Eroom Nala" <eroomnala@...> writes:

                  >--- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Hickey <stealthmunchkin@g...>
                  >wrote:
                  >> > Well, Dave Sim has rejected both music and film (or at least acting),
                  >> > and he is perfectly happy. Or at least he claims so.
                  >>
                  >> Actually, I'm sure I read somewhere that he still goes to the cinema
                  >> occasionally - he just doesn't own a TV (and I can't blame him for
                  >> that, while I watch DVDs on mine I literally haven't watched a second
                  >> of broadcast TV of my own free will since June...). I thought it was
                  >> in one of the things he wrote to the Cerebus group, but a cursory
                  >> search didn't turn anything up, so it must have been in the back of
                  >> one of the later issues...
                  >>
                  >>onday October 25
                  >
                  >If he watches the Sopranos he must have a TV. I suppose being partly
                  >deaf in one ear and blind in one eye must take away some of the joy of
                  >watching films.>>

                  Alan is blind in one eye? What happened?

                  L nny
                • Fabio Blanco
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                    > Alan is blind in one eye? What happened?

                    > L nny

                    He share one with David Bowie.

                    FABIO
                    bonvolu postu al longtom@...
                  • Eroom Nala
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004

                      > Alan is blind in one eye? What happened?

                      > L nny

                      Not sure but I think he was born that way. Ditto the deaf in one ear.
                      I think he's partly blind. Nobody is 100% blind or at least very few
                      people are.
                      My guess is that's why he's such a great writer. Being partly deaf
                      makes your hearing in the other ear more acute and ditto for sight.
                    • Eolake Stobblehouse
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 3, 2004
                        >My guess is that's why he's such a great writer. Being partly deaf
                        >makes your hearing in the other ear more acute and ditto for sight.

                        Ah. Time to bring out the nail gun.

                        Yours, Eolake

                        ---