Whoa! What's this?!

  • Kumar Sivasubramanian
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2004
      From Comics Journal #93 September 1984:

      Moore: ... There are also a couple of synopses that I did that I believe are
      with Julie Schwartz at the moment; one is for a Superman/Swamp Thing
      crossover for DC Comics Presents, and the other is an idea for a three-part
      Superman/Lois Lane story which might possibly be appearing in the regular
      Superman book.

      Well, what happened to it? Did it evolve into one of the other Superman
      stories? If not, does anyone out there know what it was about?

      KS

    • nwdannouncements
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2004
        --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "Kumar Sivasubramanian"
        <thebootybrigade@h...> wrote:
        > From Comics Journal #93 September 1984:
        >
        > Moore: ... There are also a couple of synopses that I did that I
        believe are
        > with Julie Schwartz at the moment; one is for a Superman/Swamp
        Thing
        > crossover for DC Comics Presents,

        http://tinyurl.com/yw3yg
      • joecamhi
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2004
          --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "nwdannouncements"
          <newworlddisorder@c...> wrote:
          > --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "Kumar Sivasubramanian"
          > <thebootybrigade@h...> wrote:
          > > From Comics Journal #93 September 1984:
          > >
          > > Moore: ... There are also a couple of synopses that I did that I
          > believe are
          > > with Julie Schwartz at the moment; one is for a Superman/Swamp
          > Thing
          > > crossover for DC Comics Presents,
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/yw3yg

          I actually liked "The Jungle Line" better than "For The Man Who Has
          Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" though
          all of these stories were among the best Superman stories.
          Actually, my favorate Superman was the Supreme series.
        • Fabio Blanco
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2004
            > I actually liked "The Jungle Line" better than "For The Man Who Has
            > Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" though
            > all of these stories were among the best Superman stories.
            > Actually, my favorate Superman was the Supreme series.

            Well, but "For The Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man
            of Tomorrow?" are pre-Crisis stories, the focus is very different. Indeed
            "Whatever Happened..." is the last one of the Pre Crisis stories.
            I agreed with you, Supreme is the best Superman after Shuster, Siegel and
            the 50's Supes ;-)

            FABIO
            bonvolu postu al longtom@...
            REMEMBER FALLUJAH!
          • joecamhi
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2004
              "Jungle Line" was also pre Crisis. And by Crisis, I assume you are
              talking about John Byrnes "Man of Steel." Now that was a real
              Crisis. ;-)

              Joe

              --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, "Fabio Blanco" <longtom@o...>
              wrote:
              > > I actually liked "The Jungle Line" better than "For The Man Who
              Has
              > > Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?"
              though
              > > all of these stories were among the best Superman stories.
              > > Actually, my favorate Superman was the Supreme series.
              >
              > Well, but "For The Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened
              To The Man
              > of Tomorrow?" are pre-Crisis stories, the focus is very different.
              Indeed
              > "Whatever Happened..." is the last one of the Pre Crisis stories.
              > I agreed with you, Supreme is the best Superman after Shuster,
              Siegel and
              > the 50's Supes ;-)
              >
              > FABIO
              > bonvolu postu al longtom@o...
              > REMEMBER FALLUJAH!
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                Quoting Fabio Blanco <longtom@...>:

                > > I actually liked "The Jungle Line" better than "For The Man Who Has
                > > Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" though
                > > all of these stories were among the best Superman stories.
                > > Actually, my favorate Superman was the Supreme series.
                >
                > Well, but "For The Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man
                > of Tomorrow?" are pre-Crisis stories, the focus is very different.

                The Jungle Line was pre-Crisis, too. (Though it doesn't focus on any of the
                elements wiped out in Crisis, as the other two do.)
              • joecamhi
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                  I always found "For The Man Who Has Everything" interesting because
                  it was so pre "Dark Knight." In it, a happy, friendly Batman is
                  bringing his best pal Superman a flower for his Birthday. When the
                  fight starts and Superman and Wonder Woman engage the Alien, Batman
                  tells Robin that the fight is out of their league.

                  Joe

                  --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Chris <mute@t...> wrote:
                  > Quoting Fabio Blanco <longtom@o...>:
                  >
                  > > > I actually liked "The Jungle Line" better than "For The Man
                  Who Has
                  > > > Everything" and "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?"
                  though
                  > > > all of these stories were among the best Superman stories.
                  > > > Actually, my favorate Superman was the Supreme series.
                  > >
                  > > Well, but "For The Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever
                  Happened To The Man
                  > > of Tomorrow?" are pre-Crisis stories, the focus is very
                  different.

                  > The Jungle Line was pre-Crisis, too. (Though it doesn't focus on
                  any of the
                  > elements wiped out in Crisis, as the other two do.)
                • Eolake Stobblehouse
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                    >I always found "For The Man Who Has Everything" interesting because
                    >it was so pre "Dark Knight." In it, a happy, friendly Batman is
                    >bringing his best pal Superman a flower for his Birthday. When the
                    >fight starts and Superman and Wonder Woman engage the Alien, Batman
                    >tells Robin that the fight is out of their league.

                    Huh. Never read that one. Where can I find it?

                    Yours, Eolake

                    ---
                    http://stobblehouse.com
                    "A god's gotta do what a god's gotta do." - Eolake Stobblehouse
                  • a.david silverman
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                      Re: [alanmoore] Re: Whoa! What's this?! (spoilers for "For The Man Who Has Everything") Across the Universe (DC collection with all Alan Moore tales... Just came out recently.)

                      "Where'd the cheese go?"

                      From: Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@...>
                      Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 23:17:34 +0100
                      To: alanmoore@yahoogroups.com
                      Subject: [alanmoore] Re: Whoa! What's this?! (spoilers for "For The Man Who Has Everything")

                      >I always found "For The Man Who Has Everything" interesting because
                      >it was so pre "Dark Knight."  In it, a happy, friendly Batman is
                      >bringing his best pal Superman a flower for his Birthday.  When the
                      >fight starts and Superman and Wonder Woman engage the Alien, Batman
                      >tells Robin that the fight is out of their league.

                      Huh. Never read that one. Where can I find it?

                      Yours, Eolake

                      ---
                      http://stobblehouse.com
                      "A god's gotta do what a god's gotta do." - Eolake Stobblehouse

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
                      var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129v0off4/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705018522:HM/EXP=1083622663/A=1894285/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/piano_lrec.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129v0off4/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705018522:HM/EXP=1083622663/A=1894285/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/lrec.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • joecamhi
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                        It was Superman Annual 11
                        http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore/search.cfm?ins=11&pcat=Comics-
                        All&til=7694,

                        The story has been anthologized and one of he anthologies it appears
                        in is "Across the Universe: The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore."
                        /1401200877/qid=1083536712/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-
                        3145357-0881553?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

                        In this Anthology you also get "The Jungle Line" Superman/Swamp
                        Thing team up, a two part Green Arrow backup story, a two part
                        Vigilante story, a Phantom Stranger possible origin story, a Batman
                        v. Clayface story, two Omega Men backup stories, and three Green
                        Lantern Corpse backup stories. If you don't have these stories, I
                        recommend the anthology.

                        Joe

                        --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@s...>

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2004

                          >The story has been anthologized and one of he anthologies it appears
                          >in is "Across the Universe: The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore."

                          Cool, never saw this one! thanks.

                          Yours, Eolake

                          ---
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                            Quoting "a.david silverman" <bowlingninja@...>:

                            > Across the Universe (DC collection with all Alan Moore tales... Just came
                            > out recently.)

                            NB that here "all Alan Moore tales" means "only stories written by Moore",
                            not "all otherwise uncollected Alan Moore DC Universe stories". They've skipped a
                            fourth opportunity to retrieve his first issue of Swamp Thing from the realm of
                            overpriced collectordom, and also omitted his Superman and Batman prose stories from
                            the mid-'80s British Annuals (though these last might be due to Captain Britain-
                            esque copyright issues).
                          • joecamhi
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                              Good points. It's silly that they the never collected Swamp Thing
                              #20. One reason, I guess, is that #20 has been obscured by the
                              brilliance of #21. If they collect one issue, it usually is #21
                              which is poetic, brilliant, an origin issue, and stands alone.
                              Number 20 does not stand alone. Also, I guess, the reason #20
                              wasn't collected in the first collection of Swamp Thing is because,
                              at the time, DC was just starting to collect comics into "graphic
                              novels" (they had just invented that term), and they thought they
                              needed to make it one story that stands totally alone. In that
                              first collection, they also messed up the art a bit by eliminating
                              the credits to each issue which were worked into the art. The
                              graphic novels collecting the rest of the run, which came out much
                              later, didn't do that, but DC never fixed the first graphic novel.
                              They also made a mistake with the original Dark Knight graphic
                              novel: in an attempt to make it seem more like one story, they left
                              out the beautiful covers. Since then, they have added the covers to
                              the back of the graphic novel.

                              In #20 Moore used thought balloons, and, if I remember correctly,
                              the captions were in third person. In #21, Moore got rid of the
                              thought balloons and started using the captions for first person
                              narration. At the time, it seemed to me, only Moore and Frank
                              Miller (by far, the two best writers in mainstream comics then) were
                              writing in that style. They definitely made that style popular,
                              and, I believe, it is the most popular style today.

                              I once brought up this subject on this site, and though people have
                              pointed out that Moore and Miller didn't invent that style, I
                              believe they certainly made it popular and were the only two who
                              were doing it regularly back then. Does anyone disagree?

                              --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Chris <mute@t...> wrote:
                              > Quoting "a.david silverman" <bowlingninja@c...>:
                              >
                              > > Across the Universe (DC collection with all Alan Moore tales...
                              Just came
                              > > out recently.)
                              >
                              > NB that here "all Alan Moore tales" means "only stories written
                              by Moore",
                              > not "all otherwise uncollected Alan Moore DC Universe stories".
                              They've skipped a
                              > fourth opportunity to retrieve his first issue of Swamp Thing from
                              the realm of
                              > overpriced collectordom, and also omitted his Superman and Batman
                              prose stories from
                              > the mid-'80s British Annuals (though these last might be due to
                              Captain Britain-
                              > esque copyright issues).
                            • joecamhi
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2004
                                By the way, you can download the two mid-'80s British Annual
                                Superman stories, "I Was Superman's Double!" and "Protected
                                Species," from the files section on this very site! :-)

                                Unfortunetly, mid-'80s British Annual Batman story is nowhere to be
                                found. :-(

                                Joe

                                --- In alanmoore@yahoogroups.com, Chris <mute@t...> wrote:
                                > Quoting "a.david silverman" <bowlingninja@c...>:
                                >
                                > > Across the Universe (DC collection with all Alan Moore tales...
                                Just came
                                > > out recently.)
                                >
                                > NB that here "all Alan Moore tales" means "only stories written
                                by Moore",
                                > not "all otherwise uncollected Alan Moore DC Universe stories".
                                They've skipped a
                                > fourth opportunity to retrieve his first issue of Swamp Thing from
                                the realm of
                                > overpriced collectordom, and also omitted his Superman and Batman
                                prose stories from
                                > the mid-'80s British Annuals (though these last might be due to
                                Captain Britain-
                                > esque copyright issues).
                              • Fabio Blanco
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 3, 2004
                                  > and also omitted his Superman and Batman prose stories from
                                  > the mid-'80s British Annuals (though these last might be due to Captain
                                  Britain-
                                  > esque copyright issues).

                                  If these ones weren't copyrighted by DC you could have it, transformed in
                                  comics and published by Avatar ;-)

                                  Isn't Alan Moore for Avatar like Neil Gaiman for Vertigo?

                                  FABIO
                                  bonvolu postu al longtom@...

                                  "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
                                  Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise
                                  their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to
                                  dismember it or overthrow it"
                                  -- Abraham Lincoln,
                                  16th President of the US
                                  First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861