Late Promethea ?

  • Eroom Nala
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
      To Scott Dunbier or anyone connected with DC/Wildstorm/ABC Comics

      Promethea #28 was supposed to ship yesterday but didn't appear. Is
      there a new release date? Can we expect it next week?

      Just curious
    • Fabio Blanco
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
        Eroom Nala scratch nervously:

        > To Scott Dunbier or anyone connected with DC/Wildstorm/ABC Comics
        >
        > Promethea #28 was supposed to ship yesterday but didn't appear. Is
        > there a new release date? Can we expect it next week?
        >
        > Just curious

        You mean "anxious" hehehehe
        Take it easy, the last one I did receive in Buenos Aires was... 23...
        (By the way, like argentinean... don't you feel on patriotic mood when you
        see the cover of #19?)

        Best,
        FABIO
        bonvolu postu al longtom@...
      • Eroom Nala
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
          just wandering what the delay is and when it will appear. Hopefully
          next week sometime. It's a shame publishers can't update their
          websites to reflect latest publication dates but then there's been
          lots of delays with Alan Moore titles lately.
          Anyone know when Yuggoth Cultures #2 comes out. I thought it was due
          out at the end of October?
          Not sure why I should feel patriotic about a Van Gogh cover except
          that the sun and the blue & white background are reminiscent of the
          Argentine Flag. Now what's the Argentine national anthem. I was 7 when
          I last lived in Buenos Aires so I can't ever remember singing or
          hearing it.
          So you're only up to #23. You still haven't caught up to the latest
          book which goes as far as #25 and is already available in Hardcover.
          Book 4.
          Pity the Germans though. As fas as I know the German translation is
          still only up to Issue #6.

          Just curious

          > You mean "anxious" hehehehe
          > Take it easy, the last one I did receive in Buenos Aires was... 23...
          > (By the way, like argentinean... don't you feel on patriotic mood
          when you
          > see the cover of #19?)
          >
          > Best,
          > FABIO
          > bonvolu postu al longtom@o...
        • Michael Norwitz
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
            On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Eroom Nala wrote:

            > Anyone know when Yuggoth Cultures #2 comes out. I thought it was due
            > out at the end of October?

            Anyone know what reprint material is scheduled for #2? They announced
            Nightjar in #1 (curious to see the complete lack of discussion about it)
            and his From Hell bio strip for #3 but have been vague about anything
            else. This is probably the first and last series from Avatar I'm ever
            going to buy. I actually wouldn't mind if they extended it, I'm sure
            there's more horrific Moore rarities around.

            Mikel Midnight
            "You will die, sir, either on the gallows or from the
            pox." (John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich)
            "That depends, sir, on whether I embrace your principles
            or your mistress." (John Wilkes, sometime friend of his
            and rakish member of the aristocracy)

            blaklion@...
            ___________________________________________________http://blaklion.best.vwh.net
          • Eroom Nala
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
              I really enjoyed Nightjar and was only disappointed that there won't
              be any conclusion for it now. It's a shame because he's set up a
              premise but not given us the conclusions to it and he wrote it so long
              ago now that I doubt he could remember how he was going to finish it
              now. At least we're getting to see it now.
              No idea what's in #2 which is why I miss not reading it yet. And as
              you say there's so much leftover stuff and things that never got
              published that I'm sure Avatar could have made it a continous series
              filled with hard to find Alan Moore stuff. How about Big Numbers #3 of
              which the original artwork is posted on the net somewhere. Maybe they
              could publish the scripts he did complete and his gargantuan diagram
              of all the characters and plot structures that drove the artists mad
              which I think sold on ebay a while back now for some huge price.
              It was also nice to read Bryan Talbot's thought on going back to
              conclude artwork for a piece he'd only just begun so long ago.
              Shame it wasn't in color. The avator cover look so great in color and
              the artwork is great but some color inside would make them even better.
            • ctowner1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                In a message dated 11/5/2003 9:16:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Eroom Nala" <eroomnala@...> writes:

                >How about Big Numbers #3 of
                >which the original artwork is posted on the net somewhere. >>

                really??? where??!

                >Maybe they
                >could publish the scripts he did complete and his gargantuan diagram
                >of all the characters and plot structures that drove the artists mad
                >which I think sold on ebay a while back now for some huge price.>>

                would love to see that!

                L nny
              • Eroom Nala
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                  My memory is a bit vague. Maybe it was published in some special sort
                  of Zine quite a few years ago now and had a limited publication and a
                  copy of the magazine was sold on eBay a while back
                  No wait I just remembered
                  Jose Carlos Neves has some scans on his website
                  See
                  http://www.alanmooresenhordocaos.hpg.ig.com.br/galeria.htm
                  Here's the cover
                  http://www.alanmooresenhordocaos.hpg.ig.com.br/BigNumbers3.jpg
                  and page 1
                  http://www.alanmooresenhordocaos.hpg.ig.com.br/BigNumbers3_page01.jpg
                  There's about 10 pages in all from it there

                  > >How about Big Numbers #3 of
                  > >which the original artwork is posted on the net somewhere. >>
                  >
                  > really??? where??!
                  >
                  > >Maybe they
                  > >could publish the scripts he did complete and his gargantuan diagram
                  > >of all the characters and plot structures that drove the artists mad
                  > >which I think sold on ebay a while back now for some huge price.>>
                  >
                  > would love to see that!

                  > L nny
                • m_v_p_555
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                    From www.comiccavalcade.com:

                    This stellar second issue is packed with features, all written by
                    Moore, including two long lost collaborations with Bryan Talbot, the
                    classic Itchy Peterson story illustrated by Val Semieks, a short
                    story drawn by frequent Warren Ellis collaborator Mike Wolfer, and
                    another Lovecraftian story from the aborted novel Yuggoth Cultures,
                    illustrated by the Courtyard artist Jacen Burrows! Fans of Alan Moore
                    rejoice, many prayers are finally answered in this career-spanning
                    series from the finest wordsmith in the industry!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                      Thanks but when does Issue #2 of Yuggoth Cultures actually come out?
                      Oh and here's some more Big Numbers art for those interested
                      http://www.alanmooresenhordocaos.hpg.ig.com.br/galeria07.htm

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                        On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Eroom Nala wrote:

                        > I really enjoyed Nightjar and was only disappointed that there won't
                        > be any conclusion for it now. It's a shame because he's set up a
                        > premise but not given us the conclusions to it and he wrote it so long
                        > ago now that I doubt he could remember how he was going to finish it
                        > now. At least we're getting to see it now.

                        It struck me as the weakest of Moore's first episodes for Warrior, but I
                        have faith in his skills that it would have evolved into something
                        exceptional. I don't see such an overlap with Swamp Thing such that he
                        couldn't have written both, but after doing Swamp Thing *and* Promethea
                        (and John Constantine), I'm sure there's little benefit to his going back
                        to the character now.

                        I had been hoping that there was an actually finished proposal which had
                        been written up for Dez Skinn, which would summarise where the first arc
                        was going to go. That's what I was alluding to one I said I thought
                        Avatar should have one of the guys who're adapting Moore's short stories
                        to script the rest of the plot. But I see now that Moore never got that
                        far.

                        > No idea what's in #2 which is why I miss not reading it yet. And as
                        > you say there's so much leftover stuff and things that never got
                        > published that I'm sure Avatar could have made it a continous series
                        > filled with hard to find Alan Moore stuff.

                        I don't know about continuous ... I'm assuming we'd want to fit into a
                        vague horror theme, and it would have to be material that Moore owns. We
                        could certainly get more than three issues out though, especially with
                        Avatar's tendency to pad.

                        > How about Big Numbers #3 of which the original artwork is posted on
                        > the net somewhere. Maybe they could publish the scripts he did
                        > complete and his gargantuan diagram of all the characters and plot
                        > structures that drove the artists mad which I think sold on ebay a
                        > while back now for some huge price.

                        Actually I'd not be interested in that, sans the rest of the story. I
                        think Big Numbers should be allowed to die unless it ever gets revived in
                        some other format.

                        > It was also nice to read Bryan Talbot's thought on going back to
                        > conclude artwork for a piece he'd only just begun so long ago.

                        Agreed.

                        > Shame it wasn't in color. The avator cover look so great in color and
                        > the artwork is great but some color inside would make them even better.

                        I dunno. It was drawn for b&w and I think colorising would have hurt
                        Talbot's delicate tone work.

                        On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, m_v_p_555 wrote:

                        > >From www.comiccavalcade.com:
                        >
                        > This stellar second issue is packed with features, all written by
                        > Moore, including two long lost collaborations with Bryan Talbot, the
                        > classic Itchy Peterson story illustrated by Val Semieks, a short
                        > story drawn by frequent Warren Ellis collaborator Mike Wolfer, and
                        > another Lovecraftian story from the aborted novel Yuggoth Cultures,
                        > illustrated by the Courtyard artist Jacen Burrows! Fans of Alan Moore
                        > rejoice, many prayers are finally answered in this career-spanning
                        > series from the finest wordsmith in the industry!

                        Thanks. Wish I remembered what some of this stuff was ... but I suppose
                        I'll find out in a month or so.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                          thanks!!

                        • gsstro@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 5, 2003
                            In a message dated 11/5/03 9:40:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, ctowner1@... writes:

                            >How about Big Numbers #3 of
                            >which the original artwork is posted on the net somewhere. >>

                            really??? where??!

                            There have been 11 pages of the artwork published. 10 pages in the magazine SubMedia #1, and three pages in The Comics Journal #202, but two of the three pages in TCJ were duplicated with better resolution in SubMedia. Jose Carlos Neves has 6 more pages on his site (I believe they were offered for sale at one point and the .jpg files were posted to the site that was selling them). I also saw a couple of the back covers auctioned off on ebay about a year ago. From what I recall of the description, Bill Sienkiewicz completed all of the back covers to the series.

                            >Maybe they
                            >could publish the scripts he did complete and his gargantuan diagram
                            >of all the characters and plot structures that drove the artists mad
                            >which I think sold on ebay a while back now for some huge price.>>

                            would love to see that!

                            According to Kevin Eastman, Moore wrote the scripts to either issue 5 or 6. I was able to buy a copy of the script to issue #3 from an auction held by the CBLDF and it is 250 pages, so reprinting all of them would have to be in more than one volume. I've heard that the script to issue #4 has been circulated, but I haven't seen it myself.

                            Greg

                          • Eroom Nala
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2003
                              Wow how does it read?
                              Did you like the way the story was heading?
                              Do you know if any of the artwork had the dialogue and captions added
                              or do you have to read the script and look at the matching artwork at
                              the same time to get the full picture.

                              To quote Michael Palin
                              "You lucky lucky bastard"