Two Announcements

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2013
      Hello APS,
      I'm sorry for the late notice, but we will not be having a field trip this weekend. I was waiting for permission to come through, and have not heard anything yet. In July, though, we will have two field trips in addition to our Union Chapel field trip. Sorry for the wait.
      Second, I wanted to pass along the following from Carl. This is something you may be interested in for this weekend. Brian is an excellent speaker/teacher of paleobotany.

      Would you please forward news of this event to members of the society? If people are interested, they can go here to register:
      http://www.bbgardens.org/native-plant-studies.php or contavct me with questions.

      The Ancient Forests of Alabama (elective)
      Instructor: Brian Axsmith, Ph.D.
      Saturday, June 29 | 12:30 - 4:30 p.m.
      Location: Birmingham Botanical Gardens
      $40 Members | $45 Non-Members
      Alabama forests were once dominated by giant club mosses and horsetails; this class will address varied topics such as the fact that the first and only fossil of a Begonia was found in Mobile, and that a close relative of Australia's Bunja conifer tree inhabited Russell County. We will consider the rich and significant paleobotanical record of Alabama including examination of some actual fossil specimens, and discuss what they reveal about the history of our state and its amazing flora. We will also consider how studying plant fossils can help reconstruct ancient climates and carbon dioxide levels. Studying these records provides insight into what the future may hold.

      You may have to cut and paste the above web address.

      Cheers,
      Ashley