Update on Monday's Speaker - Reminders should be going out as well.

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2012
      Hello APS,
      I now have the updated information and am feeling much better. Please excuse my tardiness. If it happens again, I will serve detention.
      Cheers,
      Ashley

      TOPIC: "Early Stone Age hominin carnivory: evidence from Koobi Fora, Kenya"

      SPEAKER: Stephen R. Merritt, PhD Visiting Assistant Professor, UAB Department of Anthropology.
      ABSTRACT: As a paleoanthropologist and zooarchaeologist, Dr. Merritt explores evidence of hominins' dietary shift toward large mammal carcass consumption, an ecological transition that put our ancestors in direct competition with the ancient carnivore guild members. His work uses information generated in modern-day observations of carcass consumption and butchery behavior to reconstruct the role ancient humans and carnivores played in the formation of of archaeological bone assemblages. Currently, he is a Visiting Assistant Professor in the Anthropology Department at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, a Taphonomist for the Koobi Fora Paleoanthropology Research Project, and a Field Director for the Koobi Fora Field School in Northern Kenya.

      PRESENTATION TIME: 07:00pm.