Monthly Meeting - August, 8/6/2012, 7:00 pm

  • alabamapaleo@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 12:01 PM
      Reminder from: alabamapaleo Yahoo! Group

      Title: Monthly Meeting - August

      Date: Monday August 6, 2012
      Time: 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
      Location: Birmingham Zoo Auditorium
      Notes: Hello APS,
      Below you will find the updated version of our announcement. Thanks.
      Ashley

      TOPIC: Trace Fossils of the Black Warrior Basin: An Interactive Approach

      The trace fossils found in Alabama coal mines are among the most significant kinds of fossils found in the state. These fossils record the activities of animals that lived during the late Carboniferous period, 310 Mya, when tropical forests dominated landscape. Footprints, burrows, scratches, tail marks, even occasional body impressions are all the evidence we have that the animals existed. The significance and abundance of these fossils inspired a photographic documentation effort through the APS that began more than a decade ago with the Union Chapel Mine, and continues to this day with other mines like the Crescent Valley Mine. These documentations have not been fully tapped for what they might tell us about the coal age animals and the environment they lived in. In my presentation, I want to describe an interactive approach to the photographic databases using a web-based interface. The idea is to allow interested persons to cycle through the large numbers of images, posted on-line, and record information using checkboxes and textboxes. The desired information includes the ichnotype (binomial genus/species name); the number of trackways; footprint sizes, paces, and strides; surface versus undertracks; consistency of substrate, etc. The goal is to obtain a more reliable assessment of the characteristics of the trace fossils found, and to learn a little about their relative frequency. The use of the interactive web-pages will be demonstrated for the Minkin Paleozoic Footprint Site (former Union Chapel Mine) and the more recently discovered Crescent Valley Mine.

      SPEAKER: Ron Buta, PhD, Professor of Astronomy at the University of Alabama.

      PRESENTATION TIME: 07:00pm.

      LOCATION: Birmingham Zoo -- Auditorium
      For directions to the Zoo, see their Web site at http://www.birminghamzoo.com
      Prior to the meeting everyone is invited to the optional supper at Taziki's Greek Fare in Mountain Brook near the Zoo exit, 2737 Highway 280 S, Mountain Brook, AL. (*NOT* the location farther out Highway 280). We gather there about 5:30/5:45pm.

    • alabamapaleo@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 12:01 PM

        Date: Monday August 6, 2012
        Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
        Location: Birmingham Zoo Auditorium
        Notes: Hello APS,
        We are looking at possible internet capability in the auditorium. That will determine which presentation Ron will deliver. As soon as that is decided, I'll post the title on Yahoo Groups.
        Cheers,
[...]

        SPEAKER: Dr. Ron Buta, Professor of Astronomy at the University of Alabama.

        PRESENTATION TIME: 07:00pm.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5 12:01 PM