APS October/November Field Trip 2010

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2010
      Hello APS,
      I just wanted to give everyone plenty of time to prepare for our next field trip. I have pasted the information below. There will be a reminder notice go out 14 days and another 7 days before the trip.
      Cheers,
      Ashley

      APS October/November Field Trip Announcement 2010

      Date: November 6th, 2010 (Saturday)

      Site: Mallard Creek Mine

      Age: Lower Pennsylvanian Period – Westphalian-A
      (310 million years old)

      Meeting Place: Barbara Ann's Place
      54240 Highway 13
      Elderidge, AL 35554
      (205) 924-9771

      Directions: The address is a little off in Yahoo Local and Maps. I have zoomed in to the site and copied and pasted the link below. You can go to this link (just copy and paste in your address bar replacing current address) and then enter in your address to get the directions and estimated travel time. Their estimated travel times are usually conservative (or maybe I drive too fast).

      http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=33.924688&lon=-87.622785&zoom=18&q1=54240%20Highway%2014%2C%20Elderidge%2C%20AL%2035554

      Meeting Time: 10:00 a.m. This is when we plan to depart from the meeting site and go into the mine (about 5 minutes away).

      Site Description: This is an active surface coal mine. There will be a safe area of talus (spoil piles of shale) that we will hunt.

      What to Bring: Cardboard flats, newspaper, hammer & chisel (if you have them), safety glasses, water

      What to Look for: Plant fossils, trackways

      Special Note: We are celebrating Gabriel Ward's birthday with this trip as we have in the past. We'll all bring a couple $$ to get pizza. It's a great way to get together with our friends and do what we love to do. My cell phone number is 205.237.9502.

      I hope to see everyone there.
      Cheers,
      Ashley