Monthly Meeting - July, 7/5/2010, 7:00 pm

  • alabamapaleo@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2010
      Reminder from: alabamapaleo Yahoo! Group

      Title: Monthly Meeting - July

      Date: Monday July 5, 2010
      Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
      Repeats: This event repeats every month on the first Monday until Saturday May 10, 2014.
      Location: Birmingham Zoo Auditorium
      Notes: TOPIC: Cosmic Spirals: the Galaxies that Changed Our View of the Universe

      SPEAKER: Ron Buta, PhD

      The presentation will discuss spiral galaxies and what people have learned about the Universe from studying such objects. Dr. Buta will describe his recent visit to Birr Castle, home of the great 72 inch “Leviathan” telescope, where spirals were discovered in the 1840s, and how our understanding of these objects has progressed over the past 150 years.
      He will also bring some of the paleontological items he bought in Europe, and will say a little about his visit to the Museum of Comparative Anatomy and Paleontology in Paris.

      PRESENTATION TIME: 07:00pm.

      LOCATION: Birmingham Zoo -- Auditorium
      For directions to the Zoo, see their Web site at http://www.birminghamzoo.com
      Prior to the meeting everyone is invited to the optional supper at Taziki's Greek Fare in Mountain Brook near the Zoo exit, 2737 Highway 280 S, Mountain Brook, AL. (*NOT* the location farther out Highway 280). We gather there about 5:30/5:45pm.