June 2006 Field Trip

  • ichnofossil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2006
      Hello APS,
      We will be visiting one of my favorite sites - bar none - for
      Cretaceous material. Catoma Falls has been calling us back. This
      is why I'm sad that I will not be able to join you Saturday. I do
      believe that several going are familiar with the site. I have
      mentioned the specifics below.

      When: Saturday, June 24th, 2006
      Time: 9:00 a.m.
      Meeting Place: McDonalds off of I-65 Prattville Exit 179. From
      Birmingham, take I-65 South toward Montgomery. Exit 179 is only
      about 6 miles north of Montgomery.
      Site: Catoma Falls, a well known site in Alabama for many years.
      This is a creek site with excellent hunting on the far bank.
      Age: Upper Cretaceous
      Formation: Tombigbee Sand Member of the Eutaw formation
      What to bring: Chest waders (if desired for crossing the creek),
      bucket, hammer and chisel (I recommend taking matrix with specimen
      so that plates don't break off), bucket.
      Caution: Be sure to cross well upstream of the falls. Water there
      is fast and strong. The bottom is irregular with poor footing. The
      bottom is also slick with algae. The owner, several years ago, said
      that fossil hunters should be out by 5:00 p.m. just like the
      fishermen.
      Good Luck,
      Ashley