Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • Debbie Pendleton
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 25, 1998
      Hi. My name is Debbie Pendleton and I am Assistant Director for Public
      Services at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. I would
      like to introduce you to our web site, if you are not already familiar
      with it, at http://www.asc.edu/archives/agis.html. We just released the
      final "Teaching With Primary Sources" unit on World War II
      (http://www.asc.edu/archives/teacher/ww2/index.html) this week. This
      project consists of 10 units of various time periods in Alabama history
      with lesson plans and suggested classroom activities linked to primary
      sources from our collections. The introductory page for the project can
      be found at http://www.asc.edu/archives/teacher/geninfo.html. We would
      love to have you visit and hear your comments. Other features of our
      web site are the Alabama History Timeline
      (http://www.asc.edu/archives/timeline/index.html), with links to
      documents from our collections, our list of Related Alabama Links at
      http://www.asc.edu/archives/related.html, and much more. Please visit
      and let me know what you think.
      Also, I serve as membership secretary for the Alabama Historical
      Association, an organization which should interest all of you. Our
      annual fall pilgrimage is coming up in Cullman on October 24, and next
      year's annual meeting will be in Montgomery, April 23 and 24, 1999. If
      you are not a member and would like more information or would like to
      join , please e-mail me at the address below. I look forward to being a
      part of this list.
      --
      Sincerely,
      Debbie Pendleton
      Assistant Director for Public Services
      Alabama Department of Archives and History
      PO Box 300100
      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100
      dpendlet@...
      http://www.asc.edu/archives/agis.html
      (334)242-4363x275
      fax (334)240-3433
    • fitz@xxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 5, 1998
        Dear Prof. Wright,

        If this mini-bio looks like what you are looking for, send it on out.
        If not, let me know and I'll fix it.

        Mike Fitzgerald

        Dear Alabama History list,

        The moderator asked for a brief bio of new subscribers. My name is
        Michael Fitzgerald, and I teach History here in Minnesota at St. Olaf
        College. I'm originally from Southern California and I got my
        Ph.D. at UCLA in 1986.

        My published work has mostly focused on race relations in Alabama
        during Reconstruction. My book, The Union League Movement, is an
        examination of the impact of political agitation on the plantation
        system.

        I've also written articles on various Alabama topics, including a
        study of the KKK and its impact on agriculture, an examination of the
        Freedmen's Bureau and Republican politics, and a study of Unionists
        and their political choices after the Civil War. Lately, I've been
        working on Mobile, and I am completing a manuscript on African
        American activism and making a living in politics, during and after
        Reconstruction.

        I'm also interested in Black Nationalism after Garvey, but that's not
        really a specifically Alabama topic.

        I certainly hope this list does well; isolated as I am in frozen
        Minnesota, I look forward to hearing from folks who work on Alabama
        topics. Anyone who cares to communicate with me on any of these
        topics, feel free to write on or off list.

        Mike Fitzgerald
        fitz@...

        > Hello,
        >
        > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment
        > to review this message.
        >
        > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any
        > aspect of Alabama's fascinating history would have a place on the net to find
        > other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the
        >

        > list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in
        >

        > Alabama history.
        >
        > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution
        > to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages
        >

        > are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the
        > list. I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that
        > you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other
        > discussions on the list!
        >
        > As of 2 October 1998 the list has 34 subscribers.
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
        > http://www.onelist.com and select the User Center link from the menu bar on the
        > left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
        > between digest and normal mode.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
        > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
        > School of Medicine
        > University of Alabama at Birmingham
        >
        > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

      • Brian Kelly
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 5, 1998
          Michael Fitzgerald is far too modest. His book on the Union League Movement in the
          Deep South is one of the most important books on Reconstruction to be published in the
          post-civil rights era. I use it in my classes on the Civil War and Reconstruction, and
          highly recommend it to any and all members of this list. My own work, little of which
          has yet seen the light of day, is on Alabama coal miners in the early twentieth
          century, and specifically on the collaboration between black and white miners in the
          face of sustained racial provocation on the part of their employers. My interests
          straddle southern, labor and African American history, and I dabble in Civil
          War/Reconstruction. Part of the work on coal appears in the current issue of the
          Alabama Review, under the title "Policing the 'Negro Eden': Racial Paternalism in the
          Alabama Coalfields, 1908-21."

          Brian Kelly
          Visitng Assistant Professor of History
          Florida International University
          Miami

        • SStew49@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 22, 1999
            I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida. Currently I
            am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas who
            is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
            in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
            Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega Co.,
            but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
            Any help would be appreciated.
            Sallye
          • Dean Costello
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
              >I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida.
              Currently I
              >am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas
              who
              >is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
              >in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
              >Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega
              Co.,
              >but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
              >Any help would be appreciated.

              I bought (and subsequently lost) a book which was called something like
              "The History of Placenames in Alabama", which explains the origins of the
              names of cities, towns, and villages all over the state. That might be a
              place to start.

              I picked up my copy about five years ago at Cahawba, but I discovered it
              AWOL when I was rearranging my library back in November.
              -
              Dean Costello
            • VPolzin@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                Hi
                My name is Jenny. I am from Bham and living in Jax Fl.Several of my relatives
                are working on genealogy for the Thomas,Bradfords,Sherley,Fortner,Hale and
                Sniders.If anyone is working on the same family lines email me

                I never knew people moved so much in the 1600,1700,and 1800's.
              • Debbie Pendleton
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                  Welcome Sallye:
                  Chandler Springs, Alabama was named for James Chandler who settled in the area in 1832, moving to Alabama from Texas. He discovered the mineral springs in the area and built a hotel which became a popular resort. James Chandler later served as the community postmaster. This information is from the book Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts by James Sulzby, published in 1960. I had an e-mail request for this same information last week so it was fresh on my mind.

                  Debbie Pendleton
                  Assistant Director for Public Services
                  Alabama Department of Archives and History
                  PO Box 300100
                  Montgomery, AL 36130
                  dpendlet@...
                  http://www.archives.state.al.us
                • Max Shores
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                    At 08:05 PM 2/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
                    >From: SStew49@...
                    >
                    >I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida.
                    Currently I
                    >am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas
                    who
                    >is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
                    >in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
                    >Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega
                    Co.,
                    >but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
                    >Any help would be appreciated.
                    >Sallye

                    Chandler Springs is located in Talladega County. You may find some helpful
                    information on the Talladega County ALGenWeb site which is located at:

                    <a
                    href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/">http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/
                    </a>

                    Max Shores
                    max@...
                    http://www.alabamainfo.com
                  • Curtis L. Clark
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                      Both _Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts_ by James Sulzby and the
                      previously mentioned _Place Names in Alabama_ by Virginia Foscue are
                      available in paperback editions from the The University of Alabama Press.

                      You can visit our website at www.uapress.ua.edu for more information or call
                      773-568-1550 to place an order.

                      Thanks.

                      Curtis L. Clark
                      Assistant Director
                      Editor-in-Chief
                      The University of Alabama Press
                      Box 870380
                      Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0380
                      Phone: 205-348-1561
                      Fax: 205-348-9201
                      > Chandler Springs, Alabama was named for James Chandler who
                      > settled in the area in 1832, moving to Alabama from Texas. He
                      > discovered the mineral springs in the area and built a hotel
                      > which became a popular resort. James Chandler later served as
                      > the community postmaster. This information is from the book
                      > Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts by James Sulzby, published in
                      > 1960. I had an e-mail request for this same information last
                      > week so it was fresh on my mind.
                      >
                      > Debbie Pendleton
                      > Assistant Director for Public Services
                      > Alabama Department of Archives and History
                      > PO Box 300100
                      > Montgomery, AL 36130
                      > dpendlet@...
                      > http://www.archives.state.al.us

                      > If you like the colors orange and blue, you will like our new web site!
                      > http://www.onelist.com
                      > Archives for the list can be viewed at
                      > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

                    • Mindy Wilson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                        "Place Names in Alabama" by Virginia Foscue was published by the
                        University of Alabama Press in 1989. If you're interested in
                        purchasing a copy, call the Chicago Distribution Center at 800-621-
                        2736. (They're warehousing all UAP books now.)

                        Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:02:42 -0500
                        To: alabamahistory@onelist.com
                        From: Dean Costello <costello@...>
                        Send reply to: alabamahistory@onelist.com
                        Subject: [alabamahistory] Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

                        From: Dean Costello <costello@...>

                        We have a new web site! http://www.onelist.com
                        Archives for the list can be viewed at
                        http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
                        Mindy Wilson
                        Assistant Acquisitions Editor
                        University of Alabama Press
                        Phone: 205/348-5538
                        Fax: 205/348-9201
                        mwilson@...
                      • Debbie Pendleton

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 24, 1999
                            Thank you so much - That pretty much eliminates him from my research - My
                            Chandlers came from GA in the 1870's. He may be a VERY distant relative, but
                            not of the line I am researching.
                            Sallye
                          • CLEAVE3@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 6, 1999
                              Hello!

                              I am interested in the postal history of Alabama (as well as Mississippi) from
                              the beginning (around 1780) until the establishment of the Universal Postal
                              Union (UPU) in 1875. As you probably know, the mails were vital in earlier
                              times as there was no other form of communication. My interest in postal
                              history is primarily in the towns and their postal makings. I have done quite
                              a bit of research on the development of post offices in AL, but still have
                              questions about the origin of certain towns. I suspect county/local
                              historians could help me, as I them. Anyone with similar interests can email
                              me at cleave3@.... Thank you. Regards, Van Koppersmith, Mobile
                            • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 20, 1999
                                HI ALABAMA HISTORY ! I HAVE SEARCHED FOR A SITE LIKE THIS FOR A LONG TIME AND
                                AM SO GLAD THAT I HAVE FINALLY FOUND IT THROUGH A FRIEND! I AM AN
                                ADMINISTRATOR AT AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY AND HAVE LOTS OF "HISTORIANS "
                                THERE- I WOULD LOVE ACCESS TO THIS SITE TO LOOK UP INFO FOR THEM FROM TIME TO
                                TIME. WE HEAR A LOT OF PERSONAL ACCOUNTS OF SITUATIONS THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN
                                THE HISTORY OF THE STATE AND NEED A WAY TO VERIFY THE ACTUALITY OF THESE
                                EVENTS. THANKS
                              • Marge Himes
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 24 5:12 PM
                                  Hi all,
                                  I lived in Alabama from 1956-1971, graduating from Tuscaloosa High
                                  Sch (now Central HS) in '66. My mother's family has been in Tusc
                                  since 1920's. She was born in Samantha,Al (died '79) my grfather
                                  worked the coal mines in Peterson I understand. I married into the
                                  AirForce and traveled for the next 25 years. Germany, Turkey, Hawaii
                                  & retired AF life in Albuquerque, NM. Not liking NM, my husband & I
                                  moved to Iowa (his home). I really get homesick, I love to talk about
                                  my "home" every chance I get. My son is 23, we have gotten into some
                                  pretty "consistent" conversations about the south. I finally got to
                                  introduce him to Tuscaloosa 2 yrs ago. When meeting my uncle & aunt
                                  his face dropped to the floor when they made him DECLARE his favorite
                                  team before walking thru their front door. (He had not seen my family
                                  since he was 4) He choose Auburn & immediately started civil war. My
                                  family is split half & half. I am & have always been an Alabama fan,
                                  & still BELIEVE in BEAR Bryant football.
                                  My daughter is 26, married w/two sons,2&4. They live in Lubbock, Tx
                                  where my son-in-law is finishing his senior yr at Lubbock Christian.
                                  Like I said I miss my home and love to reminisce about old times. Ive
                                  missed alot of changes & growth in Ala but am still interested in
                                  where she is going or where shes been

                                • Tanique Crawford
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20, 1999
                                    My daugther has to do a report on the state of Alabama. I would love to have
                                    some information best suitable for a 9 year old in the 4th grade for her report
                                    on this state. Could you please help us. Much appreciated.
                                  • LYNNESBOS@xxx.xxx
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 21, 1999
                                      Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
                                      monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
                                      Lynne Janes Blanton
                                    • Max Shores
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 21, 1999
                                        At 07:51 PM 5/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
                                        >From: LYNNESBOS@...
                                        >
                                        >Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
                                        >monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
                                        > Lynne Janes
                                        Blanton

                                        Monroeville is located in Monroe County. The Monroe County Genealogy site
                                        located at

                                        <a
                                        href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe">http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe/<
                                        /a>

                                        might be a good place to begin your search.

                                        Max Shores
                                        max@...
                                        http://www.alabamainfo.com
                                      • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 22, 1999
                                          Is there a geneaology site for Barbour county area?
                                          Linda Greer
                                        • SwimmerAL@xxx.xxx
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 4, 1999
                                            alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com writes:

                                            > Feel
                                            > free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit
                                            > about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.

                                            Hi A.J.! Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to find out what the list is
                                            about. My interest in joining the list came from the fact that I live in the
                                            great state of Alabama. I love hearing all about the state. Once again,
                                            thanks for the welcome.
                                            Beth
                                          • Jean LeVitt
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                              Hi!

                                              I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                                              Jean

                                            • mlstarns@xxxx.xxx
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                                Hi Jean

                                                I grew up in the shadow of Woodward Iron Company, It is now called
                                                Koppers. You can still see the company houses and some of the stores
                                                near the plant. It is in the Dolomite Community of Birmingham in Western
                                                Jefferson co. I live near there still.

                                                I hope this helps you some. If you need more information let me know
                                                maybe I can help some.

                                                Mary

                                                On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:19:28 -0500 Jean LeVitt <jgml@...> writes:
                                                > From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>
                                                >
                                                > Hi!
                                                >
                                                > I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town
                                                > for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't
                                                > know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for
                                                > the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward.
                                                > My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone
                                                > knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be
                                                > happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.
                                                >
                                                > Jean

                                              • Margaret Eakin
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                                  1. Click on the following URL to see photos of the Woodward Iron Company

                                                  http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hh1.html

                                                  2. This one's info on the Woodward family.

                                                  http://www.artsbma.org/g2hitt.html

                                                  3. The attached site from the U.S. Geologic Survey shows the location
                                                  of Woodward. You might explore this site further for other info of
                                                  interest --- it also shows the location of historical features (mills,
                                                  ferries, schools) that no longer exist.

                                                  http://mapping.usgs.gov:8888/gnis/owa/MapServer?f_name=Woodward&f_state=AL&f_latlong=332607N0865729W&f_type=ppl&server=TIGER

                                                  Hope this info is helpful to anyone on the list interested in Woodward Iron Company. I have other sites that reference photos � especially of a locomotive that was built specially for the Company.

                                                  Margaret Eakin

                                                  --
                                                  MZ�
                                                • VeeKayInn@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 3, 1999
                                                    I did a forward of ur message tothe AlaBenton Genealogical Society
                                                    Quarterly Editor.

                                                    From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>

                                                    Hi!

                                                    I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                                                    Jean

                                                    alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com wrote:

                                                    > Hello,
                                                    >
                                                    > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment to review this message.
                                                    >
                                                    > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in general would have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
                                                    >
                                                    > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will return to moderating messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other discussions on the list! To get you started, you can find a lengthy list of Alabama-related links [and even some history ones!] at
                                                    >
                                                    > http://www.anes.uab.edu/birmingham_links.htm
                                                    >
                                                    > As of 20 September 1999 the list had 106 subscribers.
                                                    >
                                                    > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                                    > http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the menu bar on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription between digest and normal mode or suspend list mail delivery while you are on vacation.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks,
                                                    >
                                                    > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
                                                    > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
                                                    > School of Medicine
                                                    > University of Alabama at Birmingham
                                                    >
                                                    > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

                                                    Archives for the list can be viewed at
                                                    http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
                                                  • Buddy Sledge
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
                                                      While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
                                                      Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
                                                      Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
                                                      Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
                                                      might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
                                                      Historical Society.

                                                      Best of Luck -

                                                      Buddy Sledge
                                                      Truett-McConnell College
                                                    • b1nchc08
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
                                                        Hi,
                                                        I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
                                                        attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
                                                        attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
                                                        Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
                                                        is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
                                                        well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
                                                        shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
                                                        is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
                                                        heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
                                                        am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
                                                        the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
                                                        United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
                                                        that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
                                                        proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
                                                        hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
                                                        Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
                                                        Hence my signature to know more.
                                                        JP
[...]

                                                        As of 23 November 1999 the list had 119 subscribers.