Re: Documentary

  • michael fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 1999
      Dear Larry,

      Offhand, no, though I have to write the producer today on other business
      and I'll ask.

      It appeared on public television last year here and in some other markets,
      though I don't know about your vicinity.

      I'm supposing the Lutheran angle is relevant. Did you here about the
      monument Selma just erected to Rev. James Reeb, one of the civil rights era
      martyrs? He was a St. Olaf graduate.

      Thanks, Mike Fitzgerald

      At 11:38 AM 1/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >From: "LARRY NELSON, PLU INST. RSRCH. & ASSMT." <nelsonlw@...>
      >
      >Hi Mike,
      >
      > Do you have any idea how someone without access
      >to Alabama public television might be able to view this
      >documentary? It sounds fascinating.
      >
      > Larry
      ====
      >LARRY W. NELSON
      >Director, Institutional Research & Assessment
      >330 Mortvedt Library
      >Pacific Lutheran University
      >Tacoma, WA 98447
      >Telephone: (253) 535-7444
      >FAX: (253) 536-5034
      >E-Mail: nelsonlw@...
      ====
      >"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." B.
      Disraeli
      ====

      >>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
      >>From: fitz@...
      >>
      >>There's an odd television documentary upcoming that might be of
      >>interest to this list.
      >>
      >>I understand that Alabama public television will be showing "Alabama
      >>Return" at 8PM Thursday and again on Sunday at 1:30.
      >>
      >>It involves some sixty Minnesota college students who taught summer school
      >>in Alabama in 1965, in an interracial setting in the midst of the
      >>civil rights troubles. (Mostly near Tuskegee). Now, in middle age,
      >>several of the former students recently returned to Alabama, to
      >>reflect on the changes in intervening decades--hence the documentary.
      >>
      >>The students were from St. Olaf College, where I currently teach. I
      >>should be interested in comments from anyone who sees this, whether on
      >>or off list.
      >>Mike Fitzgerald

      >Archives for the list can be viewed at
      >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

    • michael fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 1999
        In belated reply to Mr. Nelson and various other folks who asked about how
        to get copies of the documentary "Alabama Return," I have been in contact
        with the director. He writes me:

        "I can send out VHS copies for your colleagues of Alabama Return s but must
        cover expenses which round off to $12.00. KTCA-TV at 651/222-1717 can also
        make copes and get them out more qucikly with labels for some price in the
        $20s. Folks should ask for the PBS version of Alabama Return.

        Thanks,
        Jeff Strate
        612/949-8980"

        I also have an e-mail address for Strate, "bukumi@...."

        Oh, let me try again, did anyone see the show? Just curious.

        Thanks,

        Michael Fitzgerald
        fitz@...

        At 11:38 AM 1/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
        >From: "LARRY NELSON, PLU INST. RSRCH. & ASSMT." <nelsonlw@...>
        >
        >Hi Mike,
        >
        > Do you have any idea how someone without access
        >to Alabama public television might be able to view this
        >documentary? It sounds fascinating.
        >
        > Larry
        ====
        >LARRY W. NELSON
        >Director, Institutional Research & Assessment
        >330 Mortvedt Library
        >Pacific Lutheran University
        >Tacoma, WA 98447
        >Telephone: (253) 535-7444
        >FAX: (253) 536-5034
        >E-Mail: nelsonlw@...
        ====
        >"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." B.
        Disraeli
        ====

        >>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
        >>From: fitz@...
        >>
        >>There's an odd television documentary upcoming that might be of
        >>interest to this list.
        >>
        >>I understand that Alabama public television will be showing "Alabama
        >>Return" at 8PM Thursday and again on Sunday at 1:30.
        >>
        >>It involves some sixty Minnesota college students who taught summer school
        >>in Alabama in 1965, in an interracial setting in the midst of the
        >>civil rights troubles. (Mostly near Tuskegee). Now, in middle age,
        >>several of the former students recently returned to Alabama, to
        >>reflect on the changes in intervening decades--hence the documentary.
        >>
        >>The students were from St. Olaf College, where I currently teach. I
        >>should be interested in comments from anyone who sees this, whether on
        >>or off list.
        >>Mike Fitzgerald

        >Archives for the list can be viewed at
        >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

      • Debbie Pendleton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 1999
          Thanks to Mike for the info. I saw the show and found it very interesting. I found myself wanting to hear more from the former pupils. I'm very glad the producer decided to plan the reunion and make a show about it.
          Any other comments out there?

          Debbie Pendleton
          Assistant Director for Public Services
          Alabama Department of Archives and History
          PO Box 300100
          Montgomery, AL 36130
          dpendlet@...
          http://www.archives.state.al.us
        • Edith Shores
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 1999
            I watched ALABAMA RETURN and found the reaction of the students to life
            in rural Alabama very interesting. I couldn't help wondering if anybody
            explained to them that except for the problem with voting there were
            many white residents of Alabama and other southern states who lived in
            similar circumstances.

            I was brought up to abhor unfair treatment of anyone. My brother-in-law
            was the only doctor in rural Coosa County (still rural) in the 30's 40's
            and 50's. As a high school student I often made calls with him and
            learned to love the patients, both black and white, all of whom were
            treated equally by their doctor and his family.

            Incidentally, he also helped see to it that black voters in Coosa County
            were registered and voted before there were any outsiders who came south
            to help with this very real problem.

            The program brought back many memories for me. I am glad I watched it.

            Edith Shores