Alabama History/Culture in the News: 28 Feb 2001

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
      fyi..aj wright // ajwright@...

      *Museum guide helps others discover little-known poet
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Feb2001/28-e425534b.html
      Birmingham News 28 Feb 2001

      *Zoning proposal for historic house rejected by neighbors
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Feb2001/28-e410129b.html
      Birmingham News 28 Feb 2001
      *Teachers' history crusade spawns books on state roots
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Feb2001/28-e400377b.html
      Birmingham News 28 Feb 2001
      *Alabama students march to the site of George Wallace's infamous stand
      http://www.al.com/news/mobile/?Feb2001/28-a128904a.html
      Mobile Register 28 Feb 2001
      *Music Hall of Fame's director defends use of education funds
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Feb2001/28-e425454b.html
      Birmingham News 28 Feb 2001
    • adturn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hello,
        I have been contacted by someone wanting to find the name of a TB sanitarium
        in Jefferson Co. where a black woman could have gone in the 1930s.  Do you
        know how I could find this information for them?
        Thank you
        Dianne

        researching-BOWERS, COSTNER, DUKE, MADDOX, WRIGHT
                   in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
      • Edith Shores
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2001
          If I were trying to find information about someone in a TB Sanitoriium in
          the 1930's, I would contact the State of Alabama Health Department.
          The email address is www.alapubhealth.org. If you are not successful on the
          internet try snail mail. The Health Department is located in Montgomery,
          AL.

          My brother-in-law was county health doctor in Coosa County in the late
          thirties. I remember going with him to take patients to a TB sanitorium,
          but I do not remember where we went.

          Edith B. Shores
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2001
            Edith,
            Thank you for the information.  I will try that now.