Re: Documentary

  • fitz@stolaf.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 1999
      Dear List,

      There's an odd television documentary upcoming that might be of
      interest to this list.

      I understand that Alabama public television will be showing "Alabama
      Return" at 8PM Thursday and again on Sunday at 1:30.

      It involves some sixty Minnesota college students who taught summer school
      in Alabama in 1965, in an interracial setting in the midst of the
      civil rights troubles. (Mostly near Tuskegee). Now, in middle age,
      several of the former students recently returned to Alabama, to
      reflect on the changes in intervening decades--hence the documentary.

      The students were from St. Olaf College, where I currently teach. I
      should be interested in comments from anyone who sees this, whether on
      or off list.

      Thanks,

      Mike Fitzgerald
      fitz@...
    • LARRY NELSON, PLU INST. RSRCH. & ASSMT.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 1999
        Hi Mike,

        Do you have any idea how someone without access
        to Alabama public television might be able to view this
        documentary? It sounds fascinating.

        Larry
        LARRY W. NELSON
        Director, Institutional Research & Assessment
        330 Mortvedt Library
        Pacific Lutheran University
        Tacoma, WA 98447
        Telephone: (253) 535-7444
        FAX: (253) 536-5034
        E-Mail: nelsonlw@...
        "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." B. Disraeli

        >Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
        >From: fitz@...
        >
        >There's an odd television documentary upcoming that might be of
        >interest to this list.
        >
        >I understand that Alabama public television will be showing "Alabama
        >Return" at 8PM Thursday and again on Sunday at 1:30.
        >
        >It involves some sixty Minnesota college students who taught summer school
        >in Alabama in 1965, in an interracial setting in the midst of the
        >civil rights troubles. (Mostly near Tuskegee). Now, in middle age,
        >several of the former students recently returned to Alabama, to
        >reflect on the changes in intervening decades--hence the documentary.
        >
        >The students were from St. Olaf College, where I currently teach. I
        >should be interested in comments from anyone who sees this, whether on
        >or off list.
        >Mike Fitzgerald
      • AJ Wright
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 1999
          This "Alabama Return" program is part of the long-running Alabama Public
          Television series _The Alabama Experience_...WWW site at:

          http://www.cptr.ua.edu/alex.htm

          --aj wright//alabama history moderator
        • michael fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 1999
            Dear Larry,

            Offhand, no, though I have to write the producer today on other business
            and I'll ask.

            It appeared on public television last year here and in some other markets,
            though I don't know about your vicinity.

            I'm supposing the Lutheran angle is relevant. Did you here about the
            monument Selma just erected to Rev. James Reeb, one of the civil rights era
            martyrs? He was a St. Olaf graduate.

            Thanks, Mike Fitzgerald

            At 11:38 AM 1/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
            >From: "LARRY NELSON, PLU INST. RSRCH. & ASSMT." <nelsonlw@...>
            >
            >Hi Mike,
            >
            > Do you have any idea how someone without access
            >to Alabama public television might be able to view this
            >documentary? It sounds fascinating.
            >
            > Larry
            ====
            >LARRY W. NELSON
            >Director, Institutional Research & Assessment
            >330 Mortvedt Library
            >Pacific Lutheran University
            >Tacoma, WA 98447
            >Telephone: (253) 535-7444
            >FAX: (253) 536-5034
            >E-Mail: nelsonlw@...
            ====
            >"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." B.
            Disraeli
            ====

            >>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
            >>From: fitz@...
            >>
            >>There's an odd television documentary upcoming that might be of
            >>interest to this list.
            >>
            >>I understand that Alabama public television will be showing "Alabama
            >>Return" at 8PM Thursday and again on Sunday at 1:30.
            >>
            >>It involves some sixty Minnesota college students who taught summer school
            >>in Alabama in 1965, in an interracial setting in the midst of the
            >>civil rights troubles. (Mostly near Tuskegee). Now, in middle age,
            >>several of the former students recently returned to Alabama, to
            >>reflect on the changes in intervening decades--hence the documentary.
            >>
            >>The students were from St. Olaf College, where I currently teach. I
            >>should be interested in comments from anyone who sees this, whether on
            >>or off list.
            >>Mike Fitzgerald

            >Archives for the list can be viewed at
            >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

          • michael fitzgerald
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 1999
              In belated reply to Mr. Nelson and various other folks who asked about how
              to get copies of the documentary "Alabama Return," I have been in contact
              with the director. He writes me:

              "I can send out VHS copies for your colleagues of Alabama Return s but must
              cover expenses which round off to $12.00. KTCA-TV at 651/222-1717 can also
              make copes and get them out more qucikly with labels for some price in the
              $20s. Folks should ask for the PBS version of Alabama Return.

              Thanks,
              Jeff Strate
              612/949-8980"

              I also have an e-mail address for Strate, "bukumi@...."

              Oh, let me try again, did anyone see the show? Just curious.

              Thanks,

              Michael Fitzgerald
              fitz@...

              At 11:38 AM 1/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
              >From: "LARRY NELSON, PLU INST. RSRCH. & ASSMT." <nelsonlw@...>
              >
              >Hi Mike,
              >
              > Do you have any idea how someone without access
              >to Alabama public television might be able to view this
              >documentary? It sounds fascinating.
              >
              > Larry
              ====
              >LARRY W. NELSON
              >Director, Institutional Research & Assessment
              >330 Mortvedt Library
              >Pacific Lutheran University
              >Tacoma, WA 98447
              >Telephone: (253) 535-7444
              >FAX: (253) 536-5034
              >E-Mail: nelsonlw@...
              ====
              >"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." B.
              Disraeli
              ====

              >>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
              >>From: fitz@...
              >>
              >>There's an odd television documentary upcoming that might be of
              >>interest to this list.
              >>
              >>I understand that Alabama public television will be showing "Alabama
              >>Return" at 8PM Thursday and again on Sunday at 1:30.
              >>
              >>It involves some sixty Minnesota college students who taught summer school
              >>in Alabama in 1965, in an interracial setting in the midst of the
              >>civil rights troubles. (Mostly near Tuskegee). Now, in middle age,
              >>several of the former students recently returned to Alabama, to
              >>reflect on the changes in intervening decades--hence the documentary.
              >>
              >>The students were from St. Olaf College, where I currently teach. I
              >>should be interested in comments from anyone who sees this, whether on
              >>or off list.
              >>Mike Fitzgerald

              >Archives for the list can be viewed at
              >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

            • Debbie Pendleton
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 1999
                Thanks to Mike for the info. I saw the show and found it very interesting. I found myself wanting to hear more from the former pupils. I'm very glad the producer decided to plan the reunion and make a show about it.
                Any other comments out there?

                Debbie Pendleton
                Assistant Director for Public Services
                Alabama Department of Archives and History
                PO Box 300100
                Montgomery, AL 36130
                dpendlet@...
                http://www.archives.state.al.us
              • Edith Shores
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 15, 1999
                  I watched ALABAMA RETURN and found the reaction of the students to life
                  in rural Alabama very interesting. I couldn't help wondering if anybody
                  explained to them that except for the problem with voting there were
                  many white residents of Alabama and other southern states who lived in
                  similar circumstances.

                  I was brought up to abhor unfair treatment of anyone. My brother-in-law
                  was the only doctor in rural Coosa County (still rural) in the 30's 40's
                  and 50's. As a high school student I often made calls with him and
                  learned to love the patients, both black and white, all of whom were
                  treated equally by their doctor and his family.

                  Incidentally, he also helped see to it that black voters in Coosa County
                  were registered and voted before there were any outsiders who came south
                  to help with this very real problem.

                  The program brought back many memories for me. I am glad I watched it.

                  Edith Shores