Northern Alabama in Civil War -Reply

  • Margaret Storey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 1999
      Dear Carol,
      I am currently revising my dissertation on exactly the subject you
      mention--Alabama unionists. The title is "Southern Ishmaelites: Wartime
      Unionism and Its Consequences in Alabama, 1860-1873" and I will be
      submitting it to Emory University in the spring of this year. I hope that I'll
      be publishing it as a book within the next few years, but if you can't wait,
      it will at least be ready soon in dissertation form. By the way, I've based
      my work largely on the Southern Claims Commission files--there are
      other sources out there, but they tend to be rather scattered. I think my
      dissertation is the first to try to present the history of unionists on the
      Alabama homefront--especially prevailing social conditions--in a broad
      way. In the course of my research, I've spoken with quite a few
      descendants of unionists and would very much like to email with you
      personally as well. We could talk more specifics--about your family
      especially--at that point.
      And, to the list, sorry to have waited so long to introduce myself! I've just
      started a new job at DePaul University which has had me spinning. I will
      get my PhD from Emory in the spring, I'm originally from Chattanooga, and
      I'm now teaching the Civil War and Reconstruction to Chicago kids...
      Margaret Storey
      History Department
      DePaul University

      From: "Carol Taylor" <cthistory@...>

      Once again I have a forwarded message...please respond to Ms. Taylor
      as well as alabamahistory...aj wright

      Several weeks ago someone started a discussion of why persons from
      other =
      states were interested in Alabama history. I am a genealogical =
      librarian specializing in northeast Texas. But when I do my own =
      genealogy, I find that most of my ancestors have spent a goodly portion
      of their lives in northern Alabama, eastern Tennessee, western South =
      Carolina and Georgia. While I have had fairly good luck locating vital =
      records, grave sites, war records, etc., I still want to know what these =
      people were truly like. In other words, what were the living conditions =
      when and where they existed?

      Many, though not all, were Unionists during the Civil War. One even =
      fought for the Confederacy at Donelton, was taken prisoner, released at
      Vicksburg where he signed the Oath of Allegiance, made his way back
      to =
      DeKalb County, Alabama, and joined the Union Army. Another served
      with =
      the First Tennessee and Alabama Vidette Cavalry guarding the railroad =
      from Stevenson to Huntsville until he was discharged with an unknown =
      illness. Still another broke his leg and was discharged from the =
      Confederate Army as being unfit for service. =20

      My question is: Can anyone suggest sources that describe living =
      conditions in this area from 1863-1870? I have searched the Southern
      Claims Commissions Records with some success. Are there any
      journals, diaries, letters? Any ideas where to locate unpublished
      manuscripts of this era?

      Thanks in advance for your suggestions. If you ever need to know
      the northeast Texas area, I'll be glad to try to help. Incidently, the
      surnames were CARR, SAMPLEY, COLEY, SEAY, and ARNOLD.

      Carol Taylor

      Archives for the list can be viewed at