Northern Alabama in Civil War

  • Carol Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 1999
      Once again I have a forwarded message...please respond to Ms. Taylor directly
      as well as alabamahistory...aj wright

      Several weeks ago someone started a discussion of why persons from other =
      states were interested in Alabama history. I am a genealogical =
      librarian specializing in northeast Texas. But when I do my own =
      genealogy, I find that most of my ancestors have spent a goodly portion =
      of their lives in northern Alabama, eastern Tennessee, western South =
      Carolina and Georgia. While I have had fairly good luck locating vital =
      records, grave sites, war records, etc., I still want to know what these =
      people were truly like. In other words, what were the living conditions =
      when and where they existed?

      Many, though not all, were Unionists during the Civil War. One even =
      fought for the Confederacy at Donelton, was taken prisoner, released at =
      Vicksburg where he signed the Oath of Allegiance, made his way back to =
      DeKalb County, Alabama, and joined the Union Army. Another served with =
      the First Tennessee and Alabama Vidette Cavalry guarding the railroad =
      from Stevenson to Huntsville until he was discharged with an unknown =
      illness. Still another broke his leg and was discharged from the =
      Confederate Army as being unfit for service. =20

      My question is: Can anyone suggest sources that describe living =
      conditions in this area from 1863-1870? I have searched the Southern
      Claims Commissions Records with some success. Are there any published
      journals, diaries, letters? Any ideas where to locate unpublished
      manuscripts of this era?

      Thanks in advance for your suggestions. If you ever need to know about
      the northeast Texas area, I'll be glad to try to help. Incidently, the
      surnames were CARR, SAMPLEY, COLEY, SEAY, and ARNOLD.

      Carol Taylor
      cthistory@...
    • Della H. Darby
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 1999
        The state archives is a good place to start. They have a nice web site at
        http://www.archives.state.al.us/index.html

        Della Darby
        Government Documents Librarian
        Jacksonville State University