Let Us Now Discuss Famous Books

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2000
      I'm currently reading James Agee's _Let Us Now Praise Famous Men_, the
      account of Agee and photographer Walker Evans' stay among three Alabama
      sharecropping families in the 1930s...anyone care to discuss this classic??

      I seem to recall that in recent years someone published a book updating
      these families...does anyone know the author/title of that one?

      --aj wright // ajwright@...
    • Curtis Clark
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2000
        The "update" is called _And Their Children After Them: The Legacy of “Let Us
        Now Praise Famous Men”: James Agee, Walker Evans, and the Rise and Fall of
        Cotton in the South_, by Dale Maharidge and Michael Williamson. It's not
        the book the Agee/Evans classic is by a long, long shot.

        Curtis L. Clark
        Assistant Director
        Editor-in-Chief
        The University of Alabama Press
        Box 870380
        Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0380
        205-348-1561 (phone), 205-348-9201 (fax)
        cclark@...

        I'm currently reading James Agee's _Let Us Now Praise Famous Men_, the
        account of Agee and photographer Walker Evans' stay among three Alabama
        sharecropping families in the 1930s...anyone care to discuss this classic??

        I seem to recall that in recent years someone published a book updating
        these families...does anyone know the author/title of that one?

        --aj wright // ajwright@...

        Archives for the list can be viewed at
        http://www.egroups.com/archive/alabamahistory
      • Mike Breedlove
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2000
          You are thinking of:
          "And Their Children After Them; The Legacy of Let Us Now Praise Famous Men", by Dale Maharidge, Michael Williamson (Contributor), Carl Mydans. A paperback version appeared in 1990 published by Pantheon books

          Michael A. Breedlove, Ph.D.
          Alabama Dept. of Archives and History
          624 Washington Avenue
          P. O. Box 300100