Freedman's Bureau records at NARA

  • Mike Breedlove
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2000
      The following is forwarded from the NCC Washington Update of this week

      FREEDMAN'S BUREAU RECORDS PRESERVATION ACT CLEARED FOR PRESIDENT
      On October 28, legislation was advanced to the White House that would
      authorize the expenditure of $3 million in fiscal years 2001 through 2005 to
      safeguard the records of the Freedman's Bureau - a federal agency that from
      1865 to 1872 attempted to help better the lives of former slaves after the
      American Civil War. The records of the Bureau document one of the greatest
      social undertakings in this country's history.

      The legislation requires that the National Archives take action to preserve
      the Bureau records through microfilming and through establishing partnerships
      with educational institutions including Howard University in Washington D.C.
      and the University of Florida. The partners are to assist NARA in making the
      records "more easily accessible to the public, including historians,
      genealogists and students." The House of Representatives passed the
      legislation (H.R. 5157) on October 19 and the Senate acted favorably on the
      measure on October 26.
    • flofetar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2001
      • michael fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2001
          This message about the Freedmen's Bureau never came through for me, on my
          e-mail. Did it actually go out? I'm interested.

          Mike Fitzgerald
          fitz@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2001
            I don't believe I got it, Mike...I think a number of eGroups mailing lists
            have had problems in the past few days...I believe the transition to Yahoo!
            Groups is finally underway behind the scenes...can you resend the message??
            --aj wright // ajwright@...

          • Virriley@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2001
              this email came to me by mistake.
            • flofetar@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
                HI Mike did you ever work for family service?????
              • michael fitzgerald
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
                  Nope, wrong guy.

                  Mike Fitzgerald