FW: Society of Alabama Archivists Meeting

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: owner-sala-l@...
      [mailto:owner-sala-l@...] On Behalf Of White,
      Shannon D.
      Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 6:21 PM
      To: sala-l@...; ARCHIVES@...
      Subject: Society of Alabama Archivists Meeting

      SOCIETY OF ALABAMA ARCHIVISTS
      ANNUAL MEETING DECEMBER 8, 2000

      The Society of Alabama Archivists will hold its annual meeting at the
      Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. This year's program will feature sessions
      covering a wide range of topics. Highlights include: Archival
      EAD-Documenting Civil Rights in Alabama-Oral History programs- Cooperative
      agreements-Digital projects for the state-Tour of the Birmingham Civil
      Rights Institute's computer showcase and optional tours of the museum and
      adjacent facilities.

      Registration includes the meeting programs, refreshments and a boxed lunch.

      SALA encourages all its members to attend, as well as anyone interested in
      this year's program.

      To view the program and information on the web go to:
      http://www.uwa.edu/lrc/SALA/SALA_2000.htm

      Need more information?
      Contact Shannon White at (205)-652-3615 or visit the SALA website at:
      www.auburn.edu/sala/

      SALA 2000 PROGRAM

      8:30-9:30 Registration

      9:30-9:45 Welcome by Linda Overman, SALA President, 1999-2000

      9:45-10:30
      Session A
      "The Future of Finding Aids and the Web" Round Table Discussion
      Mike Breedlove, Alabama Department of Archives and History
      Clark Center, University of Alabama
      Martin Olliff, Auburn University

      Session B
      Alabama Oral History Inventory Project
      Kimberlyn Darby, Alabama State University

      10:30-10:45 BREAK

      10:45-11:30
      Session A
      "Cradle of Freedom: Alabama in the Civil Rights Years"
      Frye Gaillard, author and journalist

      Session B
      "The Cornerstone Project: the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries
      Digitization Initiative for Alabama"

      11:30-12:30 Lunch (boxed lunch provided)

      12:30-1:00 SALA Business Meeting

      1:15 - 2:00
      Session A
      "Documenting Civil Rights in Alabama" Round Table Discussion
      Jeff Jakeman, Auburn University History Dept., Chair
      Panelists:
      Jim Baggett, Birmingham Public Library, Dept. of Archives and
      Manuscripts
      Wayne Coleman, Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
      Jeff Frederick, Auburn University History Dept.
      Alden Monroe, Alabama Dept. of Archives and History
      Gwen Patton, Trenholm State Technical College Archives

      Session B
      "Cooperative Agreements Between Archival Repositories and Non-Archival
      Organizations"
      Shannon White, The University of West Alabama
      Tim Pennycuff, University of Alabama at Birmingham

      2:00-2:15 BREAK

      2:15-3:00
      Sessions A & B
      The Richard Arrington Jr. Resource Gallery Computer Exhibit
      Wayne Coleman, Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

      3:00-3:15 Closing Remarks

      3:15-5:00 Time available to tour the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

      REGISTRATION FORM

      SOCIETY OF ALABAMA ARCHIVISTS
      Meeting Registration
      Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
      December 8, 2000

      Fill out form and return form to:

      Ken Tilley, Tres.
      Society of Alabama Archivists
      c/o ADAH
      P.O. Box 300100
      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100

      Please enclose check or money order for $20.00 per guest. On-site
      registration will be $25.00.
      Registration includes the SALA meeting, boxed lunch, and refreshments.

      Name:

      E-mail Address: ________________________________________________________

      Mailing Address:

      City:

      Zip:

      Telephone:

      Amount Enclosed: ________________________________________________________

      Directions to the Institute

      Via I-65 North or Via I-65 South -From I-65, take I-20/59 Northeast towards
      Atlanta. Exit at the 17th St. exit and bear right. From the light go two
      blocks to 6th Ave. North. Turn right on to 6th Ave. North. The Institute is
      one block up on your left.
      Via I-20/59 North (from Tuscaloosa) -From I-20/59, heading north take the
      17th St. exit and bear right. From the light go two blocks to 6th Ave.
      North. Turn right on to 6th Ave. North. The Institute is one block up on
      your left.

      Via I-20 West -I-20 West merges into I-59 South. Then take the 22nd Street
      Exit. At exit take left and proceed up three blocks to 6th Avenue North.
      Take a right on 6th Avenue North and go down to 16th Street. The Institute
      will be on your left.