State Archives Special Collections Update
- I am forwarding this item with Mr. Tilley permission..aj wright //
[mailto:owner-sala-l@...] On Behalf Of Ken Tilley
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: SALA Newsletter
Here is some news from the Special Collections front at the Alabama
1. Many of the 19th Century maps are being scanned on CD's. Full size
color maps can now be printed and bought by patrons.
2. The panorama photograph collection, LPP 57, has been completed. Most
photographs are of units at Camp Sheridan (Montgomery) and Camp McClellan
during World War I.
3. The Gen. Earl Van Dorn papers, LPR 162, have been completed. These span
from 1848-1904 with the largest concentration of correspondence being from
1862. There are many original telegrams from notables such as Jefferson
Davis, Braxton Bragg, John C. Breckenridge and John C. Pemberton.
4. The Zitella Cocke papers, LPR 161, have been completed. Included in
this collection are original manuscripts, including many short stories and
poems, letters, clippings and biographical information on her life. She was
acknowledged by the state of Alabama for contributions to literature. Many
of her writings were widely read across the U.S. and Europe.
Thanks for all you have done and you will be hard to replace. I look
forward to seeing you at the SALA meeting in Dec.
>>> archives <archives@...> 10/10/00 01:11PM >>>To all the usual suspects,
I would like to get out the fall issue of the Alabama Archivist by
mid-November. Please send me news from your institutions by the end of
This will be my last issue as editor. If anyone out there has an
interest in taking on the job but is not sure what it involves, I'll be
happy to fill you in.