Re: Natives

  • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 1998
      JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS wrote:

      > From: "JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS" <jmmyers@...>
      >
      > Hi Kathy:
      >
      > No, I'm not from Alabama, but from Gaithersburg, MD, a far-northern suburb
      > of Washington DC. Have been through Alabama several times as a child (many
      > years ago) on my way to my grandparent's place in Texas. Turns out my
      > great-grandfather, Newton Mitchel, served as a private in the 41st Alabama,
      > and a number of my ancestors made their way to Texas after living in Alabama
      > for several years. Hence my interest in Alabama history.
      >
      > Jill (Mitchell) Myers
      > jmmyers@...

      Hi Jill,
      Have you got to go to the Van Gough exhibit yet.
      There's a friend at work that went. He said he stood in line 3 hours to
      get tickets.
      Kathy
    • Nahfiza Ahmed
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 1998
        On Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:51:13 -0500 kbyrd@... wrote:

        > From: kbyrd@...> Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:51:13
        -0500

        ------------
        > > Help support ONElist, while generating interest in your
        product or
        > > service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
        Visit
        > > http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

        ------------
        > > Archives for the list can be viewed at
        > > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
        > Well I am just checking my mail and looks like Jill isn't
        the only one
        > from out of the county. Nahfiza is too. I can't believe
        this. This is
        > really neat. What kind of research do you do Nahfiza? I
        have been to
        > Mobile I think that it is beautiful. I love the food.
        too.

        ------------
        > Help support ONElist, while generating interest in your
        product or
        > service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
        Visit

        ------------
        > Archives for the list can be viewed at
        > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

        Dear Kathy,

        I am researching the civil rights movement in Mobile from
        1925 to 1985 and am very close to finishing up my PhD thesis
        on this topic. I hope to teach in Alabama one day but in the
        mean time must put up with our wet, cold weather here in the
        UK!

        Nahfiza (Ms, sometimes difficult to tell from my name)
      • Carmel Thomaston
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
          >This is a great! I don't think that any of us are from Alabama.

          I'm a native, about as native as you can get. My family came to Alabama in
          1819.

          Carmel Thomaston
          carmel@...
        • Della H. Darby
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
            I am a native also. My family came to Alabama in the 1850's. I recently
            returned after 16 years in various other states.

            -- Della