Re: Microfilm of the records of Governor Watts

  • mbreedlo@ARCHIVES.STATE.AL.US
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2000
      I forwarded the reference request part of this missive (see below) to
      Archival Reference at the Alabama Dept. of Archives and History
      (ADAH). By the way, dear list members, I am not a journalist. Mawk
      Arnold is remembering the former legislator now running for Probate
      Judge in Clarke County by the name of Mike Breedlove. We are no
      doubt
      distant relatives, and I have met the estimable Mr. Breedlove, but
      can
      not claim to be him. I have been working at the ADAH since November
      1986. Happy genealogical hunting, everyone.

      --- In alabamahistory@egroups.com, "mordecaimra" <mordecaimra@m...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Mike:
      >
      > I remember you as a journalist and am now enjoying seeing
      your genealogy and archival work . I would not expect that you
      would
      remember meeting me, but I taught in the Hall School of Journalism at
      Troy State with Merrill Bankester , and my wife was from Evergreen ,
      so we met on occasion.
      > Mike, I'm wondering if you could tell me how to track down a
      family question relating to Alabama newspapers:
      > My grandfather stopped in Alabama for some time back about
      1873 enroute to Texas from Georgia. While in Alabama he worked for a
      newspaper and then returned from Texas for a visit to the paper
      office
      some years later.
      > I have a clipping from the newspaper reporting his visit, but
      the clipping does not offer any identification of the paper or any
      location for it. The article includes :
      > "... he left the ADVERTISER on one of the last steamboats
      plying the upper Tombigbee, and went to Texas. " No date or other
      clue to where and when this article was published other than "THE
      ADVERTISER." I have doubted that it referred to the Montgomery
      ADVERTISER because of the wording :
      > "... left here on one of the last steamboats plying the upper
      Tombigbee. " Leaving on a steamboat plying the uper Tombigbee
      doesn't
      sound like Montgomery. Was there a n ADVERTISER in Demopolis in
      those years.? Can you aim me at a starting place to find that
      newspaper?