Re: [alabamahistory] Digest Number 289

  • Elizabeth F. Shores
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Regarding "Settin' the Woods on Fire," the "American Experience" program
      on George Wallace, I found the use of film to be excellent --
      particularly the way a segment typically ended with footage of Wallace
      walking in slow motion, and then turning to face the camera. Eery. The
      silent film of him smoking a cigar in old age was also powerful.

      I missed the first 20 minutes of the second part, so maybe this is off
      base, but I was surprised that the program did not treat his
      gubernatorial administration more substantially. Particularly
      considering the use of Hank Williams' music, I expected the program to
      deal with class as well as race issues...

      FYI, Pete Daniel's book, Lost Revolutions: The South in the 1950s, is
      now in paperback.

      Best wishes,

      Elizabeth F. Shores