FW: New Media Classroom

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2000
      fyi..aj wright

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Popular Culture & American Culture Associations/H-Net Discussion
      list [mailto:H-PCAACA@...] On Behalf Of Ken Dvorak,
      AmCultStsatMecca
      Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 7:01 AM
      To: H-PCAACA@...
      Subject: New Media Classroom

      The Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes: Southern Culture in the New
      Media
      Classroom - NEH Summer Institute
      Location: Tennessee, United States
      Seminar Registration Deadline: 2000-04-21
      Date Submitted: 2000-03-28

      This is an announcement of an NEH/New Media Classroom weeklong faculty
      development institute to be held May 22-26, 2000, at Vanderbilt University.
      The institute is open to faculty from high schools, colleges and
      universities.

      "The Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes: Southern Culture in the New
      Media Classroom"

      The American Social History Project and the American Studies Association's
      Crossroads Project announce that Vanderbilt University will host a New Media
      Classroom seminar funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

      Beginning in May 2000, Vanderbilt University's American and Southern Studies
      Program and the Vanderbilt Center for Teaching will lead: "The Blues,
      Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes: Southern Culture in the New Media
      Classroom."

      Participants will examine the pedagogical potential of new media
      technologies
      in American and Southern studies. Our efforts will intersect a range of
      broader topics, including issues of race, representations of gender, and the
      search for the "authentic" America. This New Media Classroom seminar will
      be
      relevant to university, college and high school faculty who teach history,
      literature, music, social sciences, politics, and art.

      "The Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes" will begin with a weeklong
      summer institute to be held at Vanderbilt University on May 22-26, 2000.
      This institute will allow participating faculty to:
      * Explore a wide range of Southern culture and American studies resources
      available on the internet and CD-ROM;
      * Work with scholars and educators who have pioneered teaching humanities
      with new technologies; and
      * Develop strategies for using new media with their students.

      Returning to their schools for the 2000-2001 academic year, participating
      faculty will test the strategies they developed during the summer institute,
      take part in regular on-line seminars, and participate in periodic follow-up
      meetings at Vanderbilt.

      The New Media Classroom program will involve a diverse group of humanities
      educators. We believe secondary and post-secondary educators have much to
      gain from collective conversation about curriculum and teaching. The
      program
      will involve leaders in the field of new media education and those who have
      only begun their exploration. Our goal is to work together to discover ways
      to make new media resources more useful to a broader range of humanities
      teachers and students.

      Applications are due April 21.

      For further information and to apply to the Vanderbilt institute, visit our
      website at <A
      HREF="http://www.vanderbilt.edu/cft/NewMedia">www.vanderbilt.edu
      /cft/NewMedia</A>, or contact Peter Felten, <A
      HREF="mailto:peter.felten@...">peter.felten@...</A> or
      615-322-7290.

      For more information on the national New Media Classroom program, visit our
      website at <A
      HREF="http://www.ashp.cuny.edu/index_new.html">http://www.ashp.c
      uny.edu/index_new.html</A> or contact Donna Thompson <A
      HREF="mailto:DThompson@...">DThompson@...</A> or (212)
      966-4248 x219.

      Contact information:
      Peter Felten