FW: H-ED: ANN: Southern Culture in the New Media Classroom - NEH Summer Institute

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2000
      fyi..aj wright

      -----Original Message-----
      From: H-Net Discussion List on History of Education
      [mailto:H-EDUCATION@...] On Behalf Of Scott Walter
      Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 8:41 AM
      To: H-EDUCATION@...
      Subject: H-ED: ANN: Southern Culture in the New Media Classroom - NEH
      Summer Institute

      The Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes: Southern Culture in the New
      Media Classroom - NEH Summer Institute
      Location: Tennessee, United States
      Seminar Registration Deadline: 2000-04-21

      This is an announcement of an NEH/New Media Classroom weeklong faculty
      development institute to be held May 22-26, 2000, at Vanderbilt University.
      The institute is open to faculty from high schools, colleges and
      universities.

      The Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes: Southern Culture in the New
      Media Classroom

      The American Social History Project and the American Studies Association's
      Crossroads Project announce that Vanderbilt University will host a New
      Media Classroom seminar funded by the National Endowment for the
      Humanities.

      Beginning in May 2000, Vanderbilt University's American and Southern
      Studies Program and the Vanderbilt Center for Teaching will lead: "The
      Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes: Southern Culture in the New Media
      Classroom."

      Participants will examine the pedagogical potential of new media
      technologies in American and Southern studies. Our efforts will intersect
      a range of broader topics, including issues of race, representations of
      gender, and the search for the "authentic" America. This New Media
      Classroom seminar will be relevant to university, college and high school
      faculty who teach history, literature, music, social sciences, politics,
      and art.

      "The Blues, Bluegrass, and Blue Suede Shoes" will begin with a weeklong
      summer institute to be held at Vanderbilt University on May 22-26, 2000.
      This institute will allow participating faculty to:
      * Explore a wide range of Southern culture and American studies resources
      available on the internet and CD-ROM;
      * Work with scholars and educators who have pioneered teaching humanities
      with new technologies; and
      * Develop strategies for using new media with their students.

      Returning to their schools for the 2000-2001 academic year, participating
      faculty will test the strategies they developed during the summer
      institute, take part in regular on-line seminars, and participate in
      periodic follow-up meetings at Vanderbilt.

      The New Media Classroom program will involve a diverse group of humanities
      educators. We believe secondary and post-secondary educators have much to
      gain from collective conversation about curriculum and teaching. The
      program will involve leaders in the field of new media education and those
      who have only begun their exploration. Our goal is to work together to
      discover ways to make new media resources more useful to a broader range of
      humanities teachers and students.

      Applications are due April 21.

      For further information and to apply to the Vanderbilt institute, visit our
      website at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/cft/NewMedia , or contact Peter
      Felten, peter.felten@... or 615-322-7290.

      For more information on the national New Media Classroom program, visit our
      website at http://www.ashp.cuny.edu/index_new.html or contact Donna
      Thompson DThompson@... or (212) 966-4248 x219.

      Contact information:
      Peter Felten
      Center for Teaching
      Vanderbilt University
      Box 1537, Station B
      Vanderbilt University
      Nashville, TN 37235
      615-322-7290
      Email: peter.felten@...

      This announcement was submitted via the H-Net Announcements Website.
      Find it at: http://www.h-net.msu.edu/show.cgi?ID=125591
      This announcement has been posted by H-ANNOUNCE,
      a service of H-Net, Michigan State University.

      For an archive of announcements and information about how
      to post, visit: http://www.h-net.msu.edu/announce