Re: Natives

  • JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
      Hi Kathy:

      No, I'm not from Alabama, but from Gaithersburg, MD, a far-northern suburb
      of Washington DC. Have been through Alabama several times as a child (many
      years ago) on my way to my grandparent's place in Texas. Turns out my
      great-grandfather, Newton Mitchel, served as a private in the 41st Alabama,
      and a number of my ancestors made their way to Texas after living in Alabama
      for several years. Hence my interest in Alabama history.

      Jill (Mitchell) Myers
      jmmyers@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
        Hi Kathy,

        No I am one who is not from Alabama ... I am an Australian and haver
        visited the USA .... I work as an archaeologist but have studied history
        and am interested in learning about different areas, the people and
        their cultures.
        Take care,
        Jill

        alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com
        >Subject: [alabamahistory] Natives
        >
        >From: kbyrd@...
        >
        >Hi
        >Are all the people on this list from Alabama or living in Alabama?
        >I live in KY. I have only visited Alabama.
        >Kathy

        >Archives for the list can be viewed at
        >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
      • Nahfiza Ahmed
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
          Hello there,

          I am not from Alabama but from the UK. I have however made
          many visits to Mobile for my research and to visit my
          relatives and to eat delicious Gulf Coast food.

          Nahfiza Ahmed
          Dept. of History
          University of Southampton
          Highfield
          Southampton SO17 1BJ
          Tel: +44 1703 592239
        • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 1998
            jacknjill xcni wrote:

            > From: "jacknjill xcni" <jacknjill5@...>
            >
            > Hi Kathy,
            >
            > No I am one who is not from Alabama ... I am an Australian and haver
            > visited the USA .... I work as an archaeologist but have studied history
            > and am interested in learning about different areas, the people and
            > their cultures.
            > Take care,
            > Jill
            >
            > >From bounce-alabamahistory--53-jacknjill5 Mon Nov 30 06:52:08 1998
            > >Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 06:31:23 -0500
            > >From: kbyrd@...
            > >To: alabamahistory@onelist.com
            > alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com
            > >Subject: [alabamahistory] Natives
            > >
            > >From: kbyrd@...
            > >
            > >Hi
            > >Are all the people on this list from Alabama or living in Alabama?
            > >I live in KY. I have only visited Alabama.
            > >Kathy

            > >Help support ONElist, while generating interest in your product or
            > >service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages. Visit
            > >http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
            > >Archives for the list can be viewed at
            > >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

            > Archives for the list can be viewed at
            > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
            Jill -
            This is a great! I don't think that any of us are from Alabama.
            But I think that you are probably the farthest away.
            How about it guys. Are any of you all out of the country. (Besides any
            of you all living in Ohio) (Just Kidding)
            I love learning about other peoples culture too.
            I think that Alabama must be the core of culture. There's so much there.
            I have loved just reading about it and learning about it. THat's why I
            joined this list too.
            Kathy
          • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 1998
              Nahfiza Ahmed wrote:

              > From: Nahfiza Ahmed <N.Ahmed@...>
              >
              > Hello there,
              >
              > I am not from Alabama but from the UK. I have however made
              > many visits to Mobile for my research and to visit my
              > relatives and to eat delicious Gulf Coast food.
              >
              > Nahfiza Ahmed
              > Dept. of History
              > University of Southampton
              > Highfield
              > Southampton SO17 1BJ
              > Tel: +44 1703 592239

              > Archives for the list can be viewed at
              > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
              Well I am just checking my mail and looks like Jill isn't the only one
              from out of the county. Nahfiza is too. I can't believe this. This is
              really neat. What kind of research do you do Nahfiza? I have been to
              Mobile I think that it is beautiful. I love the food. too.
              Kathy
            • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 1998
                JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS wrote:

                > From: "JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS" <jmmyers@...>
                >
                > Hi Kathy:
                >
                > No, I'm not from Alabama, but from Gaithersburg, MD, a far-northern suburb
                > of Washington DC. Have been through Alabama several times as a child (many
                > years ago) on my way to my grandparent's place in Texas. Turns out my
                > great-grandfather, Newton Mitchel, served as a private in the 41st Alabama,
                > and a number of my ancestors made their way to Texas after living in Alabama
                > for several years. Hence my interest in Alabama history.
                >
                > Jill (Mitchell) Myers
                > jmmyers@...

                Hi Jill,
                Have you got to go to the Van Gough exhibit yet.
                There's a friend at work that went. He said he stood in line 3 hours to
                get tickets.
                Kathy
              • Nahfiza Ahmed
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 1998

                  ------------

                  ------------
                  > Help support ONElist, while generating interest in your
                  product or
                  > service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
                  Visit

                  ------------
                  > Archives for the list can be viewed at
                  > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

                  Dear Kathy,

                  I am researching the civil rights movement in Mobile from
                  1925 to 1985 and am very close to finishing up my PhD thesis
                  on this topic. I hope to teach in Alabama one day but in the
                  mean time must put up with our wet, cold weather here in the
                  UK!

                  Nahfiza (Ms, sometimes difficult to tell from my name)
                • Carmel Thomaston
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
                    >This is a great! I don't think that any of us are from Alabama.

                    I'm a native, about as native as you can get. My family came to Alabama in
                    1819.

                    Carmel Thomaston
                    carmel@...
                  • Della H. Darby
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
                      I am a native also. My family came to Alabama in the 1850's. I recently
                      returned after 16 years in various other states.

                      -- Della