Yankee Carpetbaggers

  • Dean Costello
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 1998
      >Are all the people on this list from Alabama or living in Alabama?
      >I live in KY. I have only visited Alabama.
      >Kathy

      Hey Kathy,

      I live in Virginia, right outside of DC. I went to grad. school at UAB
      (two years) in Birmingham, and I found that I had picked up an interest in
      the state. I got lucky in that I became friends with someone who also was
      interested in state history, and we ended up exploring the state from
      Muscle Shoals to the forts of Dauphin Island. Whenever I get back (about
      once a year or so) I try to make a trip to Cahawba/Cahaba to see how the
      restoration is going, and random side trips to places like Horseshoe Bend.

      To try and keep my chops in shape, at the moment I am mowing through
      "Alabama--The History of a Deep South State".

      --
      Te occidere possunt sed te edere non pussunt netas est
      [Roughly, "They can kill you, but the legalities of

      Dean Costello
      costello@...
    • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 1998
        Dean Costello wrote:

        > From: Dean Costello <costello@...>
        >
        > >Are all the people on this list from Alabama or living in Alabama?
        > >I live in KY. I have only visited Alabama.
        > >Kathy
        >
        > Hey Kathy,
        >
        > I live in Virginia, right outside of DC. I went to grad. school at UAB
        > (two years) in Birmingham, and I found that I had picked up an interest in
        > the state. I got lucky in that I became friends with someone who also was
        > interested in state history, and we ended up exploring the state from
        > Muscle Shoals to the forts of Dauphin Island. Whenever I get back (about
        > once a year or so) I try to make a trip to Cahawba/Cahaba to see how the
        > restoration is going, and random side trips to places like Horseshoe Bend.
        >
        > To try and keep my chops in shape, at the moment I am mowing through
        > "Alabama--The History of a Deep South State".
        >
        > --
        > Te occidere possunt sed te edere non pussunt netas est
        > [Roughly, "They can kill you, but the legalities of
        > eating you are quite a bit dicier."]
        >
        > Dean Costello
        > costello@...

        > Archives for the list can be viewed at
        > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
        OK Dean from the looks of this list. I think that we're the only ones in
        the United States. I always thought that I was just weird that I was
        studying states on my own and now I find all you cool peopel on here and
        I don't feel so weird anymore. So what interesting facts has everybody
        found out about Alabama.
        I have been making a scrapbook about it. I think that you must have been
        interested in the physical side. I have been studying the people.
        Different authors and different ways of cooking. I like reading
        different books about it and how these people grew up and what
        influenced them.
        Kathy
      • Dean Costello
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 1998
          >From: kbyrd@...
          >
          >> I live in Virginia, right outside of DC. I went to grad. school at UAB
          >> (two years) in Birmingham, and I found that I had picked up an interest in
          >> the state. I got lucky in that I became friends with someone who also was
          >> interested in state history, and we ended up exploring the state from
          >> Muscle Shoals to the forts of Dauphin Island. Whenever I get back (about
          >> once a year or so) I try to make a trip to Cahawba/Cahaba to see how the
          >> restoration is going, and random side trips to places like Horseshoe Bend.
          >>
          >> To try and keep my chops in shape, at the moment I am mowing through
          >> "Alabama--The History of a Deep South State".
          >
          >OK Dean from the looks of this list. I think that we're the only ones in
          >the United States. I always thought that I was just weird that I was
          >studying states on my own and now I find all you cool peopel on here and
          >I don't feel so weird anymore. So what interesting facts has everybody
          >found out about Alabama.

          ...That many people had a hissy-fit when "Alabama--History of a Deep South
          State" came out since it had more references to Werner von Braun than Bear
          Bryant? Again with the football...

          Actually, I remember when I first traveled to Birmingham when I started
          grad. school, I was constantly surprised that Birmingham was a real city,
          and not just a collection of shotgun shacks with Bubbas out on the porch
          wearing overalls with no shoes, drinking from a jug of hootch. Nice city.

          Which reminds me <Question for the group>: If George Wallace hadn't blocked
          Interstate highway funding in and around Birmingham, do you think that
          Birmingham could have challenged Atlanta for supremacy in the Southeast?
          -
          Dean C.