Re: Natives

  • Edith Shores
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 1998
      >>>Kathie Byrd wrote: Are all the people on this list from Alabama?

      I'm from Alabama by way of Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee. I've
      lived in Alabama longer than I did the other three states. I've lived
      mainly in northwest and central Alabama.

      Edith
    • JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
        Hi Kathy:

        No, I'm not from Alabama, but from Gaithersburg, MD, a far-northern suburb
        of Washington DC. Have been through Alabama several times as a child (many
        years ago) on my way to my grandparent's place in Texas. Turns out my
        great-grandfather, Newton Mitchel, served as a private in the 41st Alabama,
        and a number of my ancestors made their way to Texas after living in Alabama
        for several years. Hence my interest in Alabama history.

        Jill (Mitchell) Myers
        jmmyers@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
          Hi Kathy,

          No I am one who is not from Alabama ... I am an Australian and haver
          visited the USA .... I work as an archaeologist but have studied history
          and am interested in learning about different areas, the people and
          their cultures.
          Take care,
          Jill

          alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com
          >Subject: [alabamahistory] Natives
          >
          >From: kbyrd@...
          >
          >Hi
          >Are all the people on this list from Alabama or living in Alabama?
          >I live in KY. I have only visited Alabama.
          >Kathy

          >Archives for the list can be viewed at
          >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
        • Nahfiza Ahmed
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 1998
            Hello there,

            I am not from Alabama but from the UK. I have however made
            many visits to Mobile for my research and to visit my
            relatives and to eat delicious Gulf Coast food.

            Nahfiza Ahmed
            Dept. of History
            University of Southampton
            Highfield
            Southampton SO17 1BJ
            Tel: +44 1703 592239
          • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 1998
              jacknjill xcni wrote:

              > From: "jacknjill xcni" <jacknjill5@...>
              >
              > Hi Kathy,
              >
              > No I am one who is not from Alabama ... I am an Australian and haver
              > visited the USA .... I work as an archaeologist but have studied history
              > and am interested in learning about different areas, the people and
              > their cultures.
              > Take care,
              > Jill
              >
              > >From bounce-alabamahistory--53-jacknjill5 Mon Nov 30 06:52:08 1998
              > >Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 06:31:23 -0500
              > >From: kbyrd@...
              > >To: alabamahistory@onelist.com
              > alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com
              > >Subject: [alabamahistory] Natives
              > >
              > >From: kbyrd@...
              > >
              > >Hi
              > >Are all the people on this list from Alabama or living in Alabama?
              > >I live in KY. I have only visited Alabama.
              > >Kathy

              > >Help support ONElist, while generating interest in your product or
              > >service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages. Visit
              > >http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
              > >Archives for the list can be viewed at
              > >http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

              > Archives for the list can be viewed at
              > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
              Jill -
              This is a great! I don't think that any of us are from Alabama.
              But I think that you are probably the farthest away.
              How about it guys. Are any of you all out of the country. (Besides any
              of you all living in Ohio) (Just Kidding)
              I love learning about other peoples culture too.
              I think that Alabama must be the core of culture. There's so much there.
              I have loved just reading about it and learning about it. THat's why I
              joined this list too.
              Kathy
            • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 1998
                Nahfiza Ahmed wrote:

                > From: Nahfiza Ahmed <N.Ahmed@...>
                >
                > Hello there,
                >
                > I am not from Alabama but from the UK. I have however made
                > many visits to Mobile for my research and to visit my
                > relatives and to eat delicious Gulf Coast food.
                >
                > Nahfiza Ahmed
                > Dept. of History
                > University of Southampton
                > Highfield
                > Southampton SO17 1BJ
                > Tel: +44 1703 592239

                > Archives for the list can be viewed at
                > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
                Well I am just checking my mail and looks like Jill isn't the only one
                from out of the county. Nahfiza is too. I can't believe this. This is
                really neat. What kind of research do you do Nahfiza? I have been to
                Mobile I think that it is beautiful. I love the food. too.
                Kathy
              • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 1998
                  JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS wrote:

                  > From: "JILL (MITCHELL) MYERS" <jmmyers@...>
                  >
                  > Hi Kathy:
                  >
                  > No, I'm not from Alabama, but from Gaithersburg, MD, a far-northern suburb
                  > of Washington DC. Have been through Alabama several times as a child (many
                  > years ago) on my way to my grandparent's place in Texas. Turns out my
                  > great-grandfather, Newton Mitchel, served as a private in the 41st Alabama,
                  > and a number of my ancestors made their way to Texas after living in Alabama
                  > for several years. Hence my interest in Alabama history.
                  >
                  > Jill (Mitchell) Myers
                  > jmmyers@...

                  Hi Jill,
                  Have you got to go to the Van Gough exhibit yet.
                  There's a friend at work that went. He said he stood in line 3 hours to
                  get tickets.
                  Kathy
                • Nahfiza Ahmed
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 1998

                    ------------

                    ------------
                    > Help support ONElist, while generating interest in your
                    product or
                    > service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
                    Visit

                    ------------
                    > Archives for the list can be viewed at
                    > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

                    Dear Kathy,

                    I am researching the civil rights movement in Mobile from
                    1925 to 1985 and am very close to finishing up my PhD thesis
                    on this topic. I hope to teach in Alabama one day but in the
                    mean time must put up with our wet, cold weather here in the
                    UK!

                    Nahfiza (Ms, sometimes difficult to tell from my name)
                  • Carmel Thomaston
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
                      >This is a great! I don't think that any of us are from Alabama.

                      I'm a native, about as native as you can get. My family came to Alabama in
                      1819.

                      Carmel Thomaston
                      carmel@...
                    • Della H. Darby
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 1998
                        I am a native also. My family came to Alabama in the 1850's. I recently
                        returned after 16 years in various other states.

                        -- Della