Re: [alabamahistory] Battles in Selma

  • fitz@stolaf.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2000
      List Folks,

      I've been working on an article about Union troops in occupied
      Alabama, so I can tell you what I know off the top of my head. If
      needed, I can probably provide some citations later on.

      My sense is that real resistance ended with the capture of Selma by
      Wilson's raiders in early April. There was considerable disorder in
      town the night after the surrender, but worse was to come.
      After the decisive capture of the garrison, Union troops remained on
      scene for several days to destroy the vast Confederate arms factories
      in the vicinity. They torched most of the town acting under explicit
      orders, though more as a byproduct of destroying the arms
      installations than out of simple malice.

      After several days of this, Wilson's troops headed east toward
      Montgomery, to help in the final showdown in the eastern theater.
      They thus abandoned the town to nominal Confederate authority,
      but everyone presumably knew by that point the war was over.

      Permanent occupation of Selma only happened several weeks later, in
      late April I believe. Troops of the US Colored Infantry, under
      General Hawkins I believe, arrived with other units coming upriver after the
      surrender of Mobile.

      I seem to recall that the ships with troops coming upriver were fired
      upon occasionally, but nothing significant. I would be surprised if
      anything else very significant happened in the vicinity of Mobile, and
      the occupation proceeded in good order. Confederate forces in Alabama
      then surrendered on May 8.

      That's what I know, admittedly from memory. I hope it helps.

      Michael Fitzgerald
      St. Olaf College