Alabama Storm of 1918

  • Ginger Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
      I am looking for information on a storm that hit SE Alabama around 1918,
      causing fatalities. I was told that my great grandmother, Bird Harp died in
      a tornado caused by this storm. Any clues as to where I should look?

      Thanks,
      Ginger
    • adturn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
        Ginger,
        I don't have any info on the storm but I would also like information if you
        receive any. My Grandmother told me about washing dishes one day and a
        tornado took the roof off the house. The age would have been right to have
        been 1910. She was terrified of bad weather until the day she died.
        Dianne
      • Max Shores
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
          At 12:27 PM 3/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: "Ginger Chamberlain" <ginger@...>
          >
          >I am looking for information on a storm that hit SE Alabama around 1918,
          >causing fatalities. I was told that my great grandmother, Bird Harp died in
          >a tornado caused by this storm. Any clues as to where I should look?

          The Weather Company has an online database of weather events located at:

          http://theweathercompany.com/cgi-bin/wxnotebook.pl

          I did a search for January 1918 and found:

          "01/11/1918 - F3 tornado destroys a small rural school in Houston County,
          Alabama near Dothan about 1:40 in the afternoon. 7 of the 40 students and
          the teacher were killed. Nearly every building in the town of Webb, Alabama
          was damaged by the twister. Total fatalities were 10 with 120 injuries, 70
          of them in the town of Webb."

          I don't know if this is the storm you were looking for, but this gives you
          an example of the information you can find. You have to search one month
          at a time.

          Max Shores
          max@...
          http://www.maxconnections.com
        • Ginger Chamberlain
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
            Thanks Max,

            This is the storm alright.

            With much appreciation,
            Ginger
          • VeeKayInn@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
              This is an excellent resource on the weather.

              http:www.afrigeneas.com

              [This message contained attachments]