Re: Jackson Creek

  • Carmel Thomaston
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 1998
      >I came across a reference that I couldn't quite place. A former slave
      >from Mobile claimed after the war that he had spent three years
      >working in the Salt Works on Jackson Creek for his master. Anybody
      >know offhand where that would be? Near the city or in the interior?

      Mike,

      The USGS Geographic Names Database lists

      ALABAMA
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Barbour : 314513N 0852947W : Clayton South
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Calhoun : 333647N 0854348W : Hollis Crossroads
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Calhoun : 333748N 0854305W : Choccolocco
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Clarke : 313300N 0880025W : Saint Stephens
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Colbert : 343839N 0875616W : Barton
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Houston : 311123N 0850726W : Gordon
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Mobile : 302904N 0882605W : Big Point (MS)
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Pike : 315553N 0855743W : Needmore
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Pike : 315748N 0860636W : Ansley
      JACKSON MILL CREEK : stream : Colbert : 343707N 0875044W : Frankfort
      MOUTH OF JACKSON CREEK LANDING (HISTORICAL) : locale : Clarke : 313300N
      0880028W : Saint Stephens

      MISSISSIPPI
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Copiah : 315228N 0903723W : Smyrna
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : DeSoto : 345248N 0901022W : Lake Cormorant
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Hinds : 321654N 0903543W : Edwards
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Jackson : 302904N 0882605W : Kreole
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Lincoln : 313536N 0903423W : Zetus
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Montgomery : 333839N 0894304W : Duck Hill
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Tallahatchie : 335216N 0900502W : Cascilla
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Wilkinson : 310639N 0910953W : Newtonia
      JACKSON CREEK : stream : Yalobusha : 340504N 0895437W : Oakland

      Note the entry for Jackson Creek, Mobile County (in the Alabama search) and
      Jackson Creek, Kreole (in the Mississippi search) The stream originates
      near Big Point, MS. in Jackson County in the area of Kreole. On your map
      you'll find Big Point almost on the state line southwest of Mobile on MS
      Highway 613 (look north of Pascagoula and you'll see it). I don't see
      Kreole but I'm using an atlas rather than a state highway map for MS, so
      Kreole is too small to show up. It's in that same spot according to
      Long/Lat. reference points.

      My maps shows an unnamed stream running vertically right to the west of Big
      Point (in Mississippi) but it has a branch that flows in from Alabama that
      is named Big Creek and appears to connect on the north to Big Creek Lake.
      These creeks may or may not flow into the Escatawpa above Pascagoula, MS.
      I'm not that familiar with MS and I can't tell by my map because I-10 runs
      right over the area on my map where they appear to meet.

      Your Jackson Creek is going to be somewhere in that area, either in Alabama
      or Mississippi.

      BTW, the GNIS is online at http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/gnis/ You can
      search the whole country, by state, or by county. I've found it very
      helpful when trying to answer questions like this. It gives me a reference
      point for starting my search.

      Carmel
      carmel@...
    • Debbie Pendleton
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 1998
        Dear Mike and others:
        The Jackson Creek salt works were probably in Clarke County. See
        http://www.asc.edu/archives/teacher/civilwar/civ1.html for more
        information about the salt works. We have a fair amount of information
        about the different salt works that operated in Alabama. Jackie Matte,
        the teacher that worked on the web teaching unit has been doing some
        more research into this topic. I'll e-mail Mike her address.
        --
        Sincerely,
        Debbie Pendleton