Re: Jackson Creek

  • fitz@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 1998
      Dear Friends,

      I came across a reference that I couldn't quite place. A former slave
      from Mobile claimed after the war that he had spent three years
      working in the Salt Works on Jackson Creek for his master. Anybody
      know offhand where that would be? Near the city or in the interior?

      Thanks,

      Mike Fitzgerald
      fitz@...
    • Carmel Thomaston
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 1998
        >I came across a reference that I couldn't quite place. A former slave
        >from Mobile claimed after the war that he had spent three years
        >working in the Salt Works on Jackson Creek for his master. Anybody
        >know offhand where that would be? Near the city or in the interior?

        Mike,

        The USGS Geographic Names Database lists

        ALABAMA
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Barbour : 314513N 0852947W : Clayton South
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Calhoun : 333647N 0854348W : Hollis Crossroads
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Calhoun : 333748N 0854305W : Choccolocco
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Clarke : 313300N 0880025W : Saint Stephens
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Colbert : 343839N 0875616W : Barton
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Houston : 311123N 0850726W : Gordon
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Mobile : 302904N 0882605W : Big Point (MS)
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Pike : 315553N 0855743W : Needmore
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Pike : 315748N 0860636W : Ansley
        JACKSON MILL CREEK : stream : Colbert : 343707N 0875044W : Frankfort
        MOUTH OF JACKSON CREEK LANDING (HISTORICAL) : locale : Clarke : 313300N
        0880028W : Saint Stephens

        MISSISSIPPI
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Copiah : 315228N 0903723W : Smyrna
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : DeSoto : 345248N 0901022W : Lake Cormorant
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Hinds : 321654N 0903543W : Edwards
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Jackson : 302904N 0882605W : Kreole
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Lincoln : 313536N 0903423W : Zetus
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Montgomery : 333839N 0894304W : Duck Hill
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Tallahatchie : 335216N 0900502W : Cascilla
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Wilkinson : 310639N 0910953W : Newtonia
        JACKSON CREEK : stream : Yalobusha : 340504N 0895437W : Oakland

        Note the entry for Jackson Creek, Mobile County (in the Alabama search) and
        Jackson Creek, Kreole (in the Mississippi search) The stream originates
        near Big Point, MS. in Jackson County in the area of Kreole. On your map
        you'll find Big Point almost on the state line southwest of Mobile on MS
        Highway 613 (look north of Pascagoula and you'll see it). I don't see
        Kreole but I'm using an atlas rather than a state highway map for MS, so
        Kreole is too small to show up. It's in that same spot according to
        Long/Lat. reference points.

        My maps shows an unnamed stream running vertically right to the west of Big
        Point (in Mississippi) but it has a branch that flows in from Alabama that
        is named Big Creek and appears to connect on the north to Big Creek Lake.
        These creeks may or may not flow into the Escatawpa above Pascagoula, MS.
        I'm not that familiar with MS and I can't tell by my map because I-10 runs
        right over the area on my map where they appear to meet.

        Your Jackson Creek is going to be somewhere in that area, either in Alabama
        or Mississippi.

        BTW, the GNIS is online at http://www.peabody.yale.edu/other/gnis/ You can
        search the whole country, by state, or by county. I've found it very
        helpful when trying to answer questions like this. It gives me a reference
        point for starting my search.

        Carmel
        carmel@...
      • Debbie Pendleton
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 1998
          Dear Mike and others:
          The Jackson Creek salt works were probably in Clarke County. See
          http://www.asc.edu/archives/teacher/civilwar/civ1.html for more
          information about the salt works. We have a fair amount of information
          about the different salt works that operated in Alabama. Jackie Matte,
          the teacher that worked on the web teaching unit has been doing some
          more research into this topic. I'll e-mail Mike her address.
          --
          Sincerely,
          Debbie Pendleton