CFP: The South in the Age of Washington (Oct. 28-30, 1999)

  • Tamara M. Harvey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 1998
      Call for papers: The South in the Age of Washington, Oct. 28-30, 1999

      We seek proposals from young scholars (graduate students, independent
      scholars, and postdoctoral scholars who have received their Ph.D.s within
      the past 3 years) for papers to be delivered at "The South in the Age of
      Washington" conference. This event will be held at the University of
      Southern Mississippi from Thursday, October 28 through Saturday, October 30,
      1999, and is cosponsored by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association. As part
      of the nation-wide commemoration of George Washington on the bicentennial
      anniversary of his death, we will be using his life as a reference point for
      examining larger issues in the late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century
      South. Themes the conference plans to address include the southern
      frontier, religion, material culture, slavery and African American life,
      Indian cultures and history, gender, political conflicts, and the emerging
      variety of southern identities and cultural practices. We seek to expand
      the geographic and cultural definition of "the South" as broadly as
      possible. Papers from a variety of disciplines are sought.
      Invited presenters already on the program include Daniel Usner (Cornell
      U.), Warren Hoftsra (Shenandoah U.), Wendell Garrett (Sotheby's), Theda
      Perdue (U. of North Carolina), Kimberly Hanger (U. of Tulsa), Sylvia Frey
      (Tulane), Peter Wood (Duke), Carla Mulford (Penn State), Don Higginbotham
      (U. of North Carolina) and David Shields (the Citadel). We are asking for
      papers of about 30-35 minutes in length, and since this will be a public
      symposium, we also request that papers be of scholarly interest but
      accessible to a lay audience. We will pay all travel expenses for
      presenters added to this program.
      Send 1-2 pp. proposal and c.v. by March 1, 1999 to:

      Dr. Tamara Harvey or Dr. Greg O'Brien
      English Department History Department
      Box 5037 Box 5047
      University of Southern Mississippi University of Southern Mississippi
      Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5037 Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5047
      Tamara.Harvey@...