Mizpah

  • Edith Shores
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 1998
      Hello,

      Our moderator has suggested that we introduce ourselves. After reading
      all the credentials some of you have listed, I'm a little hesitant to
      talk about myself. I am a homemaker who was fortunate enough to grow up
      in a family that considered history important and interesting. None of
      us majored in history, but all of us have kept our interest in the
      subject. Actually, I ended up with a double major--English and Religion
      and Philosophy. I have had several church related jobs and have taught
      English in public schools.

      In answer to the question about Mizpah, it was the benediction use by
      many secular, as well as religious groups, for many years. In fact, I
      know some groups who still use it. It comes from Genesis 31:49:
      "May the Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent from one
      another," is the King James translation.

      Jacob had decided the unpleasantness between Laban and himself had gone
      too far. He packed his wives, children, flocks, and all other worldly
      possessions and left in secret. When Laban realized what Jacob had
      done, he followed and tried to compell him to return. Jacob refused.
      They finally made a sort of peace. As was the custom, they built a pile
      of rocks to commemorate the occasion. This was called a Watchtower or
      Mizpah, named partially because of Laban's statement.

      The area around this place came to be called Mizpah which was also
      sometimes called Mizpeh.

      The sentiment is not nearly so sweet in modern translations of the
      Bible. The Living Bible says, "May the Lord see to it that we keep this
      bargain when we are out of each other's sight.

      I have been away from home and am just catching up on my mail. I hope
      this helps.

      Edith B. Shores
      3743 5th Avenue
      Tuscaloosa, AL
    • kbyrd@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 1998
        Edith Shores wrote:

        > From: "Edith Shores" <eshores@...>
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > Our moderator has suggested that we introduce ourselves. After reading
        > all the credentials some of you have listed, I'm a little hesitant to
        > talk about myself. I am a homemaker who was fortunate enough to grow up
        > in a family that considered history important and interesting. None of
        > us majored in history, but all of us have kept our interest in the
        > subject. Actually, I ended up with a double major--English and Religion
        > and Philosophy. I have had several church related jobs and have taught
        > English in public schools.
        >
        > In answer to the question about Mizpah, it was the benediction use by
        > many secular, as well as religious groups, for many years. In fact, I
        > know some groups who still use it. It comes from Genesis 31:49:
        > "May the Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent from one
        > another," is the King James translation.
        >
        > Jacob had decided the unpleasantness between Laban and himself had gone
        > too far. He packed his wives, children, flocks, and all other worldly
        > possessions and left in secret. When Laban realized what Jacob had
        > done, he followed and tried to compell him to return. Jacob refused.
        > They finally made a sort of peace. As was the custom, they built a pile
        > of rocks to commemorate the occasion. This was called a Watchtower or
        > Mizpah, named partially because of Laban's statement.
        >
        > The area around this place came to be called Mizpah which was also
        > sometimes called Mizpeh.
        >
        > The sentiment is not nearly so sweet in modern translations of the
        > Bible. The Living Bible says, "May the Lord see to it that we keep this
        > bargain when we are out of each other's sight.
        >
        > I have been away from home and am just catching up on my mail. I hope
        > this helps.
        >
        > Edith B. Shores
        > 3743 5th Avenue
        > Tuscaloosa, AL

        > Archives for the list can be viewed at
        > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
        Hi Edith-
        Yours was the first e-mail that I received from this list.
        My name is Kathy Byrd and visited Alabama a few times and then got
        really interested in it because it does ahve so much history. I wanted
        to find out as much as I could about it and then I found out about this
        list and I thought well this is a perfect way to find out more about
        Alabama.
        I am a paralegal and have been one for about 12 or 13 years.
        Kathy Byrd
        Williamsburg, Ky 40769