Re: What is a Ling?

  • David W. Dorsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 1999
      Elizabeth,

      Thanks for your response.

      My first thought was that it might have been a crossed pair of tree "limbs"
      that enabled a log to rest in the "V" for cutting. I have seen those but
      have no idea what they are called!

      Maybe after the holidays someone will come up with an answer.

      Best wishes,
      David
      ddorsey@...

      Visit our NEW Family Genealogy Web Site at:
      http://www.familyorigins.com/users/d/o/r/David-W-Dorsey/
      Researching my family lines - Allen, Brooks, Cole, Dorsey, Edwards, Evans,
      Lackey, Murden, Phillips, Sikes(Sykes), Smith, Thornton, Whitlow, Whitt;
      and my spouse's family lines - Blackmon, Clark, Faulk, Hines, Johnson,
      Martin, Sikes, Sims, Snellgrove.
    • mike@adtechservices.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 1999
        David-

        Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary defines "ling" as "common heather." But I'm not sure that is what you are looking for.

        -Mike
      • Dean Costello
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 1999
          >Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary defines "ling" as "common
          heather." But I'm not sure that is what you are looking for.

          I've been thinking about this. Maybe a "ling", in this case, is like a
          trellis; some kind of support for ivy, roses, or lilacs?

          -
          As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual
          certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human
          life--so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an
          archbishop so you can meet girls.
          -M. Cartmill

          Dean Costello
          costello@...