History Ebook Publication

  • (no from line)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1999
      Dear Colleague,
      This is a call for book manuscripts in history to be
      published on the World Wide Web. Electronic publication
      opens up all kinds of wonderful possibilities either not
      available or only available to a limited degree in traditional
      print publication (e. g., the number of illustrations and the
      quantity of documentation can increase enormously in
      electronic form and can be manipulated in ways not
      possible in print format; hyperlinks to written,
      representational, and audio sources elsewhere on the web
      are a new, dynamic possibility; a continuing dialogue with
      one's readers becomes doable if one is so inclined; etc.).
      Here is the context of this call for manuscripts. The
      American Council of Learned Societies has received a $3
      million grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to
      launch "Electronic Publishing Initiative for Scholarly
      Monographs in History: the HistorE Book Project." I have
      no comment on how cute "HistorE" is, but what matters for
      us is that the RSA is one of five learned societies invited to
      participate (the others are the American Historical
      Association, the Middle Eastern Studies Association, the
      Organization of American Historians, and the Society for
      the History of Technology). This is a signal honor since any
      number of other societies could have been asked to
      participate. The venture is seeking first-rate manuscripts in
      Renaissance history. Seven prestigious university presses
      will participate: Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins,
      Michigan, NYU, Oxford, and Rutgers. The project
      directors of the enterprise will be Eileen Gardiner and
      Ronald G. Musto, whom some of you will know from the
      print and electronic books published by their Italica Press.
      In an organizational meeting earlier this year
      attended by John O' Malley, our president, William Bowen,
      our electronic media chair, and myself, we pressed the
      ACLS on what was meant by "history" in this context since
      the RSA has art historians, historians of literature, historians
      of music, and so forth. The answer we received was that
      "history" here means what history traditionally means, i. e.,
      the kind of stuff scholars in history departments produce.
      So be it for now. I have no doubt that the success of the
      present venture will lead to an expansion into all the fields
      encompassed by the RSA.
      So for the moment I am asking scholars in history
      (whether they are actually in a history department or not is
      irrelevant) who wish to see their manuscripts published in
      electronic form by a leading university press to contact the
      RSA office. At this stage of the game what should be sent
      (electronically, of course) is a c.v., an abstract of the
      manuscript, and a statement on how electronic publication
      would enhance the quality of the work. We need to forward
      our recommendations to the ACLS by 1 February 2000.
      Consequently, in order for the committee to have time to
      follow up on proposals and make a decision, the deadline
      for submittals to the RSA is 3 January 2000.
      Sincerely,
      John Monfasani
      Executive Director

      Renaissance Society of America